1. Originally posted by LikeASong:You won't find me bashing SOI often and I'm always defending it against its poorer brother SOE, but SOI better than Pop? Really?
    Pretty easily for me yes. There’s no song on SOI anywhere near as poor as Miami, or as weak as playboy mansion either. Gone is my favourite song from the 2 albums but there’s a lot of good songs in pop that are just slightly below the level of the SOI songs. I’d say Gone, Last Night On Earth, Staring At The Sun and Please are the only songs that would get on SOI for me. Probably at the expense of the miracle, volcano, sleep like a baby tonight, I struggle to pick another one I’d replace tbh. Zooropa is a much closer debate for me. That would rank above SOI if the wanderer wasn’t Johnny Cash singing. That one song is the only thing that on the whole puts Zooropa below SOI for me. Here’s my mash ups of the albums, don’t like leaving out this is where you can reach me now but I think these albums are long enough and that would be my next pick.

Zooropa/SOI

Zooropa
    Babyface
    Every Breaking Wave
    California
    Song For Someone
    Iris
    Lemon
    Stay
    Dirty Day
    Raised By Wolves
    Cedarwood Road
    The Troubles

Pop/SOI

Every Breaking Wave
    California
    Gone
    Staring At The Sun
    Last Night On Earth
    Iris
    Cedarwood Road
    Song For Someone
    Raised By Wolves
    Please
    The Troubles
  2. Originally posted by LikeASong:You won't find me bashing SOI often and I'm always defending it against its poorer brother SOE, but SOI better than Pop? Really?
    One of those scenarios where I couldn't declare SOI as 'better' than Pop but instead say that I personally prefer it. Especially as a whole album.
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:You won't find me bashing SOI often and I'm always defending it against its poorer brother SOE, but SOI better than Pop? Really?

AB, Zooropa and Pop are U2 at their best. No way SOI is better than Pop
  4. SOI isn't even better than SOE
    imagine being better than a 90s album
  5. to each their own. SOE has some beautiful songs, but, for me, SOI is better as an album. Great songwriting overall. And lyrically it has a few of Bono's best: Iris, Sleep like a baby tonight, The troubles. A few underrated gems as well in SLABT, TIWYCRMN, The Troubles. As far as I'm concerned, Every breaking wave and Song for someone are late - career U2 classics.
  6. one thing, I think, we can all agree on is that all three deluxe songs (Lucifer's Hands, The Crystal Ballroom and Book of your heart) are awesome! Anyways, happy birthday SOI!
  7. Originally posted by iamcrazytonight:one thing, I think, we can all agree on is that all three deluxe songs (Lucifer's Hands, The Crystal Ballroom and Book of your heart) are awesome! Anyways, happy birthday SOI!
    Ordinary love and invisible (which was a hidden track on SOI deluxe) as well. 5 very good songs.
  8. SOE is even worse than October. Only LTTGYA and Blackout are realy good songs. Some songs are average, but most are just boring. SOI have at least 5 good songs
  9. Originally posted by Zwervervriend:SOE is even worse than October. Only LTTGYA and Blackout are realy good songs. Some songs are average, but most are just boring. SOI have at least 5 good songs
    Only 2 good songs on SOE? Are you sure you’re listening to the right album? . I’d say there’s only 2 poor songs on the album and another 2 average ones. The rest all ranging from good-great. Not on the same level as SOI though.
  10. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Only 2 good songs on SOE? Are you sure you’re listening to the right album? . I’d say there’s only 2 poor songs on the album and another 2 average ones. The rest all ranging from good-great. Not on the same level as SOI though.
    Yeah i'm sure about these are the only 2 good songs 😃 LIAWHL, LOH, LIBTAIIW and RFD are average. Rest is rubbish. Best Thing, Landlady and Showman are so bad i don't even want to talk about them!
  11. Originally posted by Zwervervriend:[..]
    Yeah i'm sure about these are the only 2 good songs 😃 LIAWHL, LOH, LIBTAIIW and RFD are average. Rest is rubbish. Best Thing, Landlady and Showman are so bad i don't even want to talk about them!
    I wouldn’t rank blackout even top 5. Love is bigger, lights of home, landlady and little things are all 10/10 songs for me, all great. 13 is another cracking song blackout, GOOYOW, SOL and RFD are all still really good songs as well imo. Give me they 9 with acoustic best thing and I wouldn’t have had a complaint with the album. At least we’re definitely in agreement with LIAWHL being average and Showman being dreadful, I’d stick American soul in the same category as showman as well.