1. It’s an unexpected move given that the band - in their 40 year long career - have never before toured a catalogue album; they have only ever gone out on the back of a new release.

U2 are also currently putting the finishing touches to their new album, Songs of Experience which now seems to have been put back until Autumn 2017.

But the political climate in the US may have forced their hand. The Joshua Tree album was part written as a rebuke of the then US Republican president Ronald Reagan and the band used their tour of the album to criticise the policies of the Reagan administration.

I hadn't thought of that. It seems like a nice justification for a clear step back.
  2. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    It’s an unexpected move given that the band - in their 40 year long career - have never before toured a catalogue album; they have only ever gone out on the back of a new release.

U2 are also currently putting the finishing touches to their new album, Songs of Experience which now seems to have been put back until Autumn 2017.

But the political climate in the US may have forced their hand. The Joshua Tree album was part written as a rebuke of the then US Republican president Ronald Reagan and the band used their tour of the album to criticise the policies of the Reagan administration.

I hadn't thought of that. It seems like a nice justification for a clear step back.
    It feels like a massive opportunist argument to cover the fact that Live Nation demands concerts in 2017.
  3. Ye. I wondre if the journalist msde it up or was "hinted" by LN or U2's mgmt
  4. It's a bit sad Live Nation can 'force' a band as big as U2 (arguably the biggest band in the world) to commence on a world tour. I could understand LN to be unhappy about the band not touring for two consecutive years while their contract is expensive and only lasts until 2020, but...
  5. I miss Paul McGuinness
  6. Originally posted by dieder:It's a bit sad Live Nation can 'force' a band as big as U2 (arguably the biggest band in the world) to commence on a world tour. I could understand LN to be unhappy about the band not touring for two consecutive years while their contract is expensive and only lasts until 2020, but...
    A contract is a contract. If you're small, you have small contracts. If you're big, you have big contracts. Easy. Sad but easy
  7. Originally posted by dieder:It's a bit sad Live Nation can 'force' a band as big as U2 (arguably the biggest band in the world) to commence on a world tour. I could understand LN to be unhappy about the band not touring for two consecutive years while their contract is expensive and only lasts until 2020, but...
    It's only partly forced in as much as the band could just refuse and probably have to pay a substantial amount of money to compensate for it. I don't think the band are uncomfortable with it though, I think they like being on the road and playing shows and it gives them an opportunity to mix the setlist up a bit as well.
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    A contract is a contract. If you're small, you have small contracts. If you're big, you have big contracts. Easy. Sad but easy
    Sad. Easy, but sad.
  9. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    It's only partly forced in as much as the band could just refuse and probably have to pay a substantial amount of money to compensate for it. I don't think the band are uncomfortable with it though, I think they like being on the road and playing shows and it gives them an opportunity to mix the setlist up a bit as well.
    haha yes, I'm sure we'll get a lot of setlist mixing and variation this time
  10. What I mean is mixing the set up compared with previous tours. This could be the last opportunity for certain songs from the 80's to make an appearance, if they really do stick to the Joshua tree theme. I don't expect it to change much from night to night though.
  11. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    What I mean is mixing the set up compared with previous tours. This could be the last opportunity for certain songs from the 80's to make an appearance, if they really do stick to the Joshua tree theme. I don't expect it to change much from night to night though.
    Yes, I agree with that. I'm sure it's pretty exciting for them regardless touring new or older material. Rehearsing and playing songs they haven't played in 15, 20, 30 years (if ever) is always exciting. And I'm sure they aren't aware of the immense wave of negativity this has generated among their fanbase...