1. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Yes, I agree with that. I'm sure it's pretty exciting for them regardless touring new or older material. Rehearsing and playing songs they haven't played in 15, 20, 30 years (if ever) is always exciting. And I'm sure they aren't aware of the immense wave of negativity this has generated among their fanbase...
    Has it? I think a lot of people will like it. I know a lot of people who say "I liked them better in the 80s"
  2. Originally posted by dieder:[..]
    Has it? I think a lot of people will like it. I know a lot of people who say "I liked them better in the 80s"
    Read the forums and facebook pages. Reading thousands of posts makes me think that a majority of the fanbase is actually disappointed with the news U2 might do their first tour not supporting a brand new album...
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Read the forums and facebook pages. Reading thousands of posts makes me think that a majority of the fanbase is actually disappointed with the news U2 might do their first tour not supporting a brand new album...
    It's mad when you think about it that they're actually getting criticised for wanting to work lol. Im pretty sure all the album delays are just a result of quality control and wanting to bring out the best possible album, but at the same time they must be desperate to get back on the road having had for them a relatively short tour last time out. Touring one of the greatest albums ever whilst using the free time to complete the album sounds like a good solution to me, Im already looking forward to my first bootleg download from the tour and hopefully (depending on finances) seeing a show.
  4. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Can you understand their feelings? They also love U2music.
  5. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    For me it feels like a way to come through on their Live Nation deal, the fact that this JT tour means we have to wait longer for a new album sucks, the fact that touring for a 30 year anniversary kinda puts them in the ''no longer relevant corner'' (Hi Bono) if you ask me.

Oh and I feel like its an easy way to completly ignore Pop's 20th anniversary....

So yeah, I'm a bit dissapointed. But I know that when it all starts I will be up listening to livestreams, checking the setlist every morning etc. So yeah I'm also a bit of a hypocrite.
  6. Originally posted by bartajax:[..]
    For me it feels like a way to come through on their Live Nation deal, the fact that this JT tour means we have to wait longer for a new album sucks, the fact that touring for a 30 year anniversary kinda puts them in the ''no longer relevant corner'' (Hi Bono) if you ask me.

Oh and I feel like its an easy way to completly ignore Pop's 20th anniversary....

So yeah, I'm a bit dissapointed. But I know that when it all starts I will be up listening to livestreams, checking the setlist every morning etc. So yeah I'm also a bit of a hypocrite.
    no plans to go see them this time?
  7. Haven't really thought about it to be honest. The rumours (JT, ArenA) kinda make me say no right now.
  8. Originally posted by bartajax:[..]

+1
    agree with you on all of these points sadly. I SO want to hear SOE, it hurts.

But hey, when the tour starts, I'm just as much of a hypocrite...
  9. I sort of find it funny that people are talking about relevancy when there is so much bitching about the band's ideas on it and what it means to them.
  10. Originally posted by kris_smith87:I sort of find it funny that people are talking about relevancy when there is so much bitching about the band's ideas on it and what it means to them.
    I think people have been more than harsh on the band about this tour. If I'd been given the option myself of JT tour, wait a while get new album and more than likely get a tour for that too, or have the album put out now when the band aren't ready and just tour that, i know what I'd rather have. I really feel these shows could be amongst some of the best they've ever done if they get it right, that might seem a stretch to some but with the catalogue they've got now combined with the strength of the JT album as a centre focus it would be hard to go wrong I feel.
  11. My two cents: The JT tour could be really cool and some awesome fan service, but it puts U2 in that category of aging rock stars like nothing ever could.
  12. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:My two cents: The JT tour could be really cool and some awesome fan service, but it puts U2 in that category of aging rock stars like nothing ever could.
    That's a fair point but then that's because they are aging rock stars, it doesn't mean they can't still produce good albums, the quality of there new music will dictate how relevant they are. The fact that it's release is on the back of this tour is irrelevant. The tour itself on the other hand might be far from irrelevant, especially those who are lucky enough to go to a show.