1. *
    Originally posted by dieder:Still playing it multiple times a week. Still loving it. Hardly skipping any tracks. Red Flag Day absolute favourite.

2. Originally posted by LikeASong:+1 to the Bono solo album. Said it from day 1 and it's actually the second thing that bothers me the most about SOE. The first is that, unlike SOI, it has no theme, no coherence. There are gems here and there, sure, just like in every U2 album... But it's not a great record. As a summary: +1 to SOE not asking you for repeat listens. That's why I was asking.

this opinion of yours still boggles my mind, sergio

still absolutely in love with the record. if I skip songs it's usually little things, cos I'm not always into sobbing my goddamn eyes out, and landlady.
  3. I think it’s a ridiculously solid album, front to back and I listen to it weekly, some songs daily. And I think it’s one of 5 best overall pieces of Work they’ve put toghetther
  4. my last listen of SOE reinforced even more what i already think: American Soul is a masterpiece, the drums, lyrics, maybe the most differentiated song since Pop, the line vocal of Bono is very amazing too. Hope that i can see this live!
  5. Listened few times in Jan, once in Feb and then today... so not so often. Still love the same 9 songs (some probably different than majority of you):
    LIAWHL
    Lights Of Home
    Best Thing
    Summet Of Love
    Red Flag Day
    Showman
    Little Things
    Blackout
    Book
    +
    Lights (strings)
    Ordinary Love (mix)

still don't get the love for Landlady and Love is Bigger - to me those are dull poppy songs
  6. Originally posted by hedyzera:my last listen of SOE reinforced even more what i already think: American Soul is a masterpiece, the drums, lyrics, maybe the most differentiated song since Pop, the line vocal of Bono is very amazing too. Hope that i can see this live!
    We can like or hate American Soul, but respectfully, I don't understand why you're saying it is "the most differentiated song since Pop". I mean, it reuses for the second time parts of a past U2 song.
  7. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    We can like or hate American Soul, but respectfully, I don't understand why you're saying it is "the most differentiated song since Pop". I mean, it reuses for the second time parts of a past U2 song.
    I'm sorry, but I always found this argument very bad, I can not tell if it was Volcano that was re-used or if American Soul was always planned to be this way from the beginning, the Beatles have already done this, several other important bands too. is a matter of having a broad vision of a composition and uses it in many ways, just as Lady With the Spinning Head has turned many other Achtung Baby songs and for me it is still GREAT music. The idea of SOE has always been to complement SOI, so nothing out of the ordinary. if you analyze, the two songs are very different, totally different proposals, just a re-used chorus, it's kind of saying that Lights of Home is copying Iris because of "Free Yourself"
  8. Originally posted by hedyzera:[..]
    I'm sorry, but I always found this argument very bad, I can not tell if it was Volcano that was re-used or if American Soul was always planned to be this way from the beginning, the Beatles have already done this, several other important bands too. is a matter of having a broad vision of a composition and uses it in many ways, just as Lady With the Spinning Head has turned many other Achtung Baby songs and for me it is still GREAT music. The idea of SOE has always been to complement SOI, so nothing out of the ordinary. if you analyze, the two songs are very different, totally different proposals, just a re-used chorus, it's kind of saying that Lights of Home is copying Iris because of "Free Yourself"
    But again, why using the term "differentiated"? I'm not questioning if the recycling was bad or great, I don't think we can use "originality" when it comes to American Soul.
  9. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    But again, why using the term "differentiated"? I'm not questioning if the recycling was bad or great, I don't think we can use "originality" when it comes to American Soul.
    why not? only because they use "YOU ARE ROCK AND ROLL" the entire song is a copy of Volcano? seems to me a very minimalist interpretation of the song. The Fly isn't "original" since the end of the song was taken almost all of the end of lady with the spinning head?
  10. Originally posted by hedyzera:[..]
    why not? only because they use "YOU ARE ROCK AND ROLL" the entire song is a copy of Volcano? seems to me a very minimalist interpretation of the song. The Fly isn't "original" since the end of the song was taken almost all of the end of lady with the spinning head?
    I think if lady with the spinning head had been released prior to the Fly then people would probably have questioned the flys originality and brought up the similarities also. The reality is last with the spinning head came to nothing more than a b-side whereas volcano and American soul both found a place on back to back albums. I quite like American soul think it’s decent no more or no less but I don’t think it’s particularly original either.
  11. I don’t understand why people are complaining about American Soul... I mean, they did the same with Iris/Light Of Home and Song For Someone/13... I don’t hear anyone about these songs?
  12. Originally posted by Bart20:I don’t understand why people are complaining about American Soul... I mean, they did the same with Iris/Light Of Home and Song For Someone/13... I don’t hear anyone about these songs?
    exactly