1. Originally posted by Bart20:I don’t understand why people are complaining about American Soul... I mean, they did the same with Iris/Light Of Home and Song For Someone/13... I don’t hear anyone about these songs?
    I have zero issue with the lyrical connections or re-use in any of the songs - in fact I adore it in Lights of Home - but I do thiink American Soul is by far the worst song on the album. Just my opinion, but to me the song is every bad instinct U2/Bono have ever had lyrically rolled into one.

Overall I really like SOE but I have removed AS from my album.
  2. Originally posted by Bart20:I don’t understand why people are complaining about American Soul... I mean, they did the same with Iris/Light Of Home and Song For Someone/13... I don’t hear anyone about these songs?

You're also missing my point: I'm not debating if American Soul is good or bad. I am saying that "original" or "groundbreaking" does not apply to it, since we already heard parts of it in 2010 and again in 2014. I like Lights of Home but I cannot call this song "groundbreaking".
    Of course U2 songs come from demos or jamming sessions. The difference is that when The Fly was released we didn't hear the demos where it originated that was not the intention of the band at that time. U2 consciously released Volcano and then released parts of it in American Soul years after that. Now that can sound great to you, it doesn't matter, I'm not debating that. I am saying it is not one of their most distinct songs since Pop.
  3. Ok, so Glastonbury is a very "original" song since Pop IMO lol
  4. Something completely different: I find myself appriciating The Blackout more with every spin of the...eh...cd

Can't wait to hear it live...again
  5. Originally posted by BigGiRL:Something completely different: I find myself appriciating The Blackout more with every spin of the...eh...cd

I'm gonna pretend i didn't read this post. How dare ya'll not like the blackout on first listen. Pure genius.

Its the rocker I've been waiting for since forever. What a stomper. I hope the US crowd isn't too boring with it.
    And the lads unleash it upon EU / South American crowds.
  6. Originally posted by mofothethird:[..]
    I'm gonna pretend i didn't read this post. How dare ya'll not like the blackout on first listen. Pure genius.

[image]

Its the rocker I've been waiting for since forever. What a stomper. I hope the US crowd isn't too boring with it.
    Amazing meme. haha
  7. Originally posted by BigGiRL:Something completely different: I find myself appriciating The Blackout more with every spin of the...eh...cd

I still really like the blackout and since it was released before the album I’ve heard it a lot so it’s had good staying power so far. I do find it a little strange placed near the end of the album and think it could easily slot in after Love is all we have left keeping the rest of the album as is. That’s a minor gripe though and not really about the song itself.
  8. Originally posted by mofothethird:[..]

[image]

I like your style, but I NEVER said I didn't like The Blackout at first listen...I just NOT said that!!!

It's more like that after The Blackout SOE came with so much gorgeous tracks on it, that The Blackout kinda moved out of sight for me.

And I agree with deanallison that The Blackout has an odd position on the album.
    I forgot who suggested that alternate track list which had The Blackout open the album, but I never play the album any other way since then
  9. True, i'm just pulling your leg there.
    I do find its neighbouring songs on the album odd as well. I hope and think its an opener as well.

But i get the bands decision on opening with the intro they piked. Its weird en different.
    And "this is no time , not to be alive" is quite the start to an killer album.
    Hoping they keep Blackout as an opener for the live sets.
    So we can collectively go bananas together.
  10. Originally posted by mofothethird:True, i'm just pulling your leg there.
    I do find its neighbouring songs on the album odd as well. I hope and think its an opener as well.

But i get the bands decision on opening with the intro they piked. Its weird en different.
    And "this is no time , not to be alive" is quite the start to an killer album.
    Hoping they keep Blackout as an opener for the live sets.
    So we can collectively go bananas together.
    I say "Vegas here we come!"

As soon as The Blackout starts it's going to be TOTAL...

Like...eh...so TOTAL
  11. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]
    I like your style, but I NEVER said I didn't like The Blackout at first listen...I just NOT said that!!!

It's more like that after The Blackout SOE came with so much gorgeous tracks on it, that The Blackout kinda moved out of sight for me.

And I agree with deanallison that The Blackout has an odd position on the album.
    I forgot who suggested that alternate track list which had The Blackout open the album, but I never play the album any other way since then
    I also agree about the odd position; to me the track listing feels somewhat botched after Little Things, or Landlady.

What is the alternate track listing with Blackout first? I'd like to try it, too, thanks!
  12. Originally posted by JuJuman:[..]
    I also agree about the odd position; to me the track listing feels somewhat botched after Little Things, or Landlady.

What is the alternate track listing with Blackout first? I'd like to try it, too, thanks!
    I thought it was either here https://u2start.com/topic/11231/ where Sergio has Blackout right after LIAWHL,
    or here https://u2start.com/topic/11277/ where haruka_vox has a running order that starts with The Blackout.

I really can't remember or find who suggested to start with The Blackout and end with LIAWHL, but the track order I have on my iPod is this:

The Blackout
    You're The Best Thing About Me
    Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
    Book Of Your Heart
    Get Out Of Your Own way
    American Soul
    Summer Of Love
    Red Flag Day
    The Showman (Little More Better)
    Landlady
    Lights Of Home*
    Ordinary Love (Extraordinary Mix)
    13 (There Is A Light)
    The Little Things That Give You Away
    Love Is All We Have Left
    +
    You're The Best Thing About Me (U2 vs Kygo)
    The Blackout (Jacknife Lee Remix)

*I prefer the St Peter's String Version