1. One thing that always draws me to U2 on the live scene is the perfect setlists,the run of plays and the way they open and close their gigs.
    As well as being amongst the crowd at the event itself but also indulging in their glorious bootleg selection,have the boys tapered off during the last 2 tours??
    Granted TJT20 was an anniversary tour but SBS was just too flat to open.I liked the idea of kicking off with pre-JT songs but surely Streets HAD to open again?
    I just feel something wasnt right with e+i,LIAWHL yeah a great tune but an opener? Really? Even Blackout didnt work for me,its not until IWF kicks in that you get that spiritual rousing U2 bring out.
    What do you think? Maybe some of you guys could change my mind.
    p.s IMO probably going against the grain abit here,i thought American Soul would've made a great opener for the first leg.
  2. I loved them opening with SBS i thought it just got straight to the rock haha, enjoyed the blackout/Charlie speech more though, now that's how you open a show!
  3. Blackout was kickass opener
  4. If you didn't see the shows, you don't know how well those openers went down with the crowd. Both Blackout and SBS went down *very* well.

In terms of opening songs, Breathe was the least exciting opening song I've seen U2 have.
  5. I think SBS was a solid opener but would have preferred I Will Follow to start the show before it (and since it was too early in the evening to open with Streets, of course).
  6. The EI opener in Europe that I saw live in Paris was the best opener I've ever seen myself. And to me it was their best opener since PopMart and ZooTV.

This is the first time since the 90's they've had a "real" theatrical show opener, and it works so damn well. I had a minute-long goosebumps during the transition from Charlie Chaplin to Blackout, not kidding, this was the longest goosebumps I've ever experienced in my life. Electrifying !
  7. Totally agree, their opener in Europe in the EI was absolutely great. Chapeau!
  8. I thought opening the show with SBS was a brilliant idea; the inverse of closing a show with 40. When Larry walked out that first night, I was perplexed about what was going to happen but when he lead off and was then progressively joined by Edge, Bono and Adam it made an impact, especially on the minimalist stage.

I don't understand the disdain for Blackout. It made for a pounding, foot-stomping start and I hope it doesn't get consigned to history; it's one of my preferred tracks from SOE.
  9. +1 for Blackout for me. I was never massively engaged by the recorded version, but when I saw it in concert, with the creepy visuals, and erupting from a huge PA system, it sounded incredible. After that night I definitely had a lot more love for the song, so it definitely worked as a tour opener for me,
  10. Blackout was an amazing opening to the gig the pounding bass and drums were incredible and the visuals on the screen added another layer to the song, I didn't care much for The Miracle of Joey Ramone on I&E the song just never worked for me.
  11. Originally posted by RUMMY:I think SBS was a solid opener but would have preferred I Will Follow to start the show before it (and since it was too early in the evening to open with Streets, of course).
    That or out of control would have been the dream
  12. SBS was a good opener, and Blackout was also really kickass, for both songs the crowd was jumping and singing along.