Joshua Tree Tour 2019
Legs (1): New Zealand, Australia and Asia
Shows: 15
  1. Originally posted by deanallison:I was wrong at the beginning of E&I to think they would play very little from SOI, what the final setlists of that tour looked like is more what I was expecting but I’d still be surprised to see more than 1 or 2 songs from SOI and SOE combined this tour. I really don’t think they’ll play anything from them. I know people in Australia haven’t seen these songs live but I think because of JT being the main focus and the number of album tracks from that they would be playing if it’s in full then the rest of the set will be left for the classics. I love the last 2 albums but I just don’t think the songs will have a place this time round.

Well, SOI did feature on the North American dates of the e&i tour, but, yes, on the European tour, esp. from Copenhagen #2 onward, it was pretty much purged. You may be right that they may think that that album is “over” now.
    However, they are definitely playing songs from SOE. It’s their most recent studio album, they are already well-rehearsed playing those songs live, and they are very proud of the album. TLTTGYA even made it on to the original JT anniversary tour. There will definitely be songs from it on the setlist - the aforementioned song, The Blackout, Lights of Home, maybe an additional song or two. I’d count on it.
    However, what they play beyond that is anyone’s guess. I’m sure “Acrobat” will be played too so that the Antipodes can be visited by MacPhisto. Beyond that, I just don’t know.
  2. Shadowman and MacPhisto in one night.
  3. Can anyone clarify if the pre sale codes can be used at multiple shows? i know its for 4 tickets but can it be for say 2 for Melbourne and 2 for Sydney??

4. Congratulations; I hope it is everything you expect it to be and more. In 2006, I took my then 14 year old daughter to see U2 and it was her first gig ever. She loved it.
  5. Originally posted by colbourne25:Can anyone clarify if the pre sale codes can be used at multiple shows? i know its for 4 tickets but can it be for say 2 for Melbourne and 2 for Sydney??
    No one knows yet at this point.
  6. Can someone who went to a JT30 show give me some advice, where should I get my tickets? I'm going to go to both the Sydney and Perth shows, up to 4 shows in total. I'm 100% going GA for at least 2 of the shows but I'm wondering whether its worth buying tickets in the seating further back for the other two so I can get a better view of the whole stage/screen.

Also what was the crowd like at your show? When I saw Coldplay live in Melbourne I went both GA and seated. The seated area had heaps of older people who weren't really massive fans and sat down for a fair part of the show. GA was much better, everyone was younger and far more into it (had to line up for most of the day for a good spot though). I'm assuming it would be similar at U2/any other stadium concert. But I'm wondering if anyone has had a different experience at a U2 stadium show?
  7. I saw Dublin and London, one with a fan in her seventies, one with an eight-year-old, both with seated tickets, but all in our party were up and dancing throughout. But as a general rule, if you want to go mad, GA is best.

For what it's worth, the band performance in London was the best I've seen live.
  8. I'd definitely aim to be as front on as you can. I was off to the side when I saw JT30 and while still a decent view, some of the screen was hidden because of the wave; it wasn't totally flat.

https://flic.kr/p/UnPUkf
  9. Originally posted by JRoz:Can someone who went to a JT30 show give me some advice, where should I get my tickets? I'm going to go to both the Sydney and Perth shows, up to 4 shows in total. I'm 100% going GA for at least 2 of the shows but I'm wondering whether its worth buying tickets in the seating further back for the other two so I can get a better view of the whole stage/screen.

Also what was the crowd like at your show? When I saw Coldplay live in Melbourne I went both GA and seated. The seated area had heaps of older people who weren't really massive fans and sat down for a fair part of the show. GA was much better, everyone was younger and far more into it (had to line up for most of the day for a good spot though). I'm assuming it would be similar at U2/any other stadium concert. But I'm wondering if anyone has had a different experience at a U2 stadium show?
    Always go GA. I did seats twice on the JT tour and felt a bit out of it. But it was quite comfortable
  10. Originally posted by JRoz:Can someone who went to a JT30 show give me some advice, where should I get my tickets? I'm going to go to both the Sydney and Perth shows, up to 4 shows in total. I'm 100% going GA for at least 2 of the shows but I'm wondering whether its worth buying tickets in the seating further back for the other two so I can get a better view of the whole stage/screen.

Both Perth (Optus Stadium) & Sydney (SCG) have very large fields, used for cricket & AFL. Even ANZ stadium (if it is used in Sydney) is a quite large field. This means the seats will be a long, long way from the stage! Yes, the screen will be huge, but the band members will look like ants from the seats.

For this reason, I'd pretty much always choose GA for anyone that is physically capable. You can get much, much closer to the band. You do also have a chance to get some variety. Line up early to be close to the main stage. Line up early to be close to the b-stage. Relax, arrive late & hang near the sound board, with great views of the screen in a relaxed atmosphere. Arrive late, & position yourself on the rail behind Red Zone, with good views of the main screen, & possible (reasonably close) views of the b-stage performances. Also in a reasonable relaxed atmosphere.

For 360, the layout offered the chance of good value seats, quite close to the band. Those seats behind the stage! That's not the cast with this layout. So all seats are going to be quite far away, though the giant screen will help.

But if you do choose seats, choose stage left (house right), edge's side. That is because the b-stage is closer to this side of the field.

As to whether the SCG or Optus Stadium is better for seats. No idea. Not sure which has the larger field size. But the tiered seating in Optus looks steeper I think. So you may be a little closer to the action. Though I'm not sure if those tiers & that roof would negatively effect the sound quality or not. You'd have to read some reviews of concerts at the venue.

Interestingly, the only rumoured venue in Oz that is being used for this tour, with a smaller rectangular field is Suncorp stadium. So it should have better visuals from the seats, but I'm not sure what the sound is like.

For the record I always go GA. I've seen half a U2 show in the seats (where I used a freebie VIP wristband to get on the field). The second half of the show I spent in my $30 seat, in the very back row of the stadium! But that was 360, to see the CLAW! It was also the smallest stadium of the leg (Sam Boyd stadium) in the US. My seats were adjacent to the CLAW, & probably closer than some of the most expensive seats in the large stadiums. Overall it was good to see the CLAW in all its glory, but I still felt much more disconnected that I do in GA!
  11. Remy, unfortunately, some of us are a similar age as the band members and can't stand for hours on end like we used to (damn, it even hurts to admit that!). I've done seats for a couple of years now but am tempted to dial up the pain killers and go for GA. It is the best location, I agree.
  12. In Rome (first show) I didn't see the band for the first four songs - and it didn't matter at all. Great folks around us , we were having a blast. Those first 20 minutes were absolute high energy, the best and most intense experience at any of the many shows attended.