Joshua Tree Tour 2019
Legs (1): New Zealand, Australia and Asia
Shows: 15
  1. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:A couple of personal observations on some of these lists:
    - The album will be played in full and order, so give up hope of spreading the songs through the set list (as much as I would like them to do that).
    - They need to include at least 3 or 4 i+e songs. FM radio seems to think U2 hasn't released an album since HTDAAB, but audiences down here haven't heard any of the new material live and deserve a reasonable dose.
    - Time to drop some of the war horses like Elevation and One to accommodate the new material.
    - I'm expecting Stuck In A Moment for the first night in Sydney - 22nd anniversary of the passing of Michael Hutchence.
    - I can't see them doing >24 songs based on recent tours.
    I pretty much agree with all of this. I assume you're right about Stuck being performed on the 22nd. I'm not really a fan of the song, so hope they choose Gone for the tribute instead. Stuck made an appearance in Oz at both Vertigo & 360 (& has been played elsewhere since). Gone was only played in Oz during Popmart (& nowhere else since Elevation). But yeah, it's probably going to be Stuck.
  2. Originally posted by KOREA_SEOUL_LEE:Rattle and Hum & Lovetown Tour(Rattle and Hum affiliated)
    If you really want to celebrate the 30st anniversary,

"Angel Of Harlem"
    "All I Want Is You"

I'll allow only two songs.

Rattle and Hum

The rest of the songs are...

after a good storage

Use it for the next TOUR.!
    But Rattle and Hum was a very popular album in Australia, U2's MOST POPULAR album in Australia! It's the 30 year anniversary of the Lovetown tour, one of U2's most fabled tours. This is the perfect time to play Rattle and Hum songs!

How about this? Australia & NZ get,
    - Desire / All I Want Is You
    - Angel of Harlem / Love Comes to Town
    - God Part II / Hawkmoon 269

Then these songs are swapped out in Asia. For,
    - City of Blinding Lights / Pride
    - Elevation / Mysterious Ways
    - Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of / You’re the Best Thing

We're all happy, maybe
  3. Who are you calling "we"!

Personally I'm happy to hear a few of the hits, but not the same ones every time, at the expense of some really great tunes. Australian tours are most often a long time after an album release (with the exception of the Under Australian Skies, Lovetown & Zoomerang tours). So yes, quite often it becomes more of a greatest hits tour. But I'd rather hear something different, instead of hearing Pride at every show I go to, every 4 to 10 years.

I wish they'd rotate their Warhorses, so many of them are great tunes. Such as New Years Day, which was a brilliant version on e+i.

With or Without You obviously won't be taking a rest. But normally I'd be happy if they rotated,
    - With or Without You / One
    - Beautiful Day / City of Blinding Lights
    - Pride / New Years Day
    - Vertigo / Elevation
    - Streets / Bad

I'd be happy with a mix of 5 songs from that list. I think most people would be happy coming home after only hearing two of the big three, Beautiful Day, One & Vertigo. Heck, people survived without hearing Streets for an entire tour, the highlight of just about any U2 show.

Look at Exit, a song I love, but a song many people don't. Reading the reviews & watching footage from JT 2017, Exit looks like it was the highlight of the whole tour!

I'm not saying bombard the tour with SoI & SoE, but leave some room for them. Which is tough to do when they're playing the entire Joshua Tree album. So it probably has to come at the expense of a few warhorses. It'll be worth it, I can see The Blackout being this years version of 2017's Exit. An under-rated Gem!

Same goes for Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way & The Little Things That Give You Away, they could turn out to be great closers, highlighting the newer albums.

I'd be happy with a few more tunes from the recent albums, but yes, I hope they play at least the ones you've mentioned.
  4. I know they've said that it JT will be played in sequence, but I kind of disagree with it. I know they're not ones for rotating set lists, but playing JT in sequence kind of further limits it. Just me?
  5. Originally posted by ddarroch:[..]
    Who are you calling "we"!

Personally I'm happy to hear a few of the hits, but not the same ones every time, at the expense of some really great tunes. Australian tours are most often a long time after an album release (with the exception of the Under Australian Skies, Lovetown & Zoomerang tours). So yes, quite often it becomes more of a greatest hits tour. But I'd rather hear something different, instead of hearing Pride at every show I go to, every 4 to 10 years.

I wish they'd rotate their Warhorses, so many of them are great tunes. Such as New Years Day, which was a brilliant version on e+i.

With or Without You obviously won't be taking a rest. But normally I'd be happy if they rotated,
    - Pride / New Years Day
    - Vertigo / Elevation
    - Streets / Bad

I'd be happy with a mix of 5 songs from that list. I think most people would be happy coming home after only hearing two of the big three, Beautiful Day, One & Vertigo. Heck, people survived without hearing Streets for an entire tour, the highlight of just about any U2 show.

Look at Exit, a song I love, but a song many people don't. Reading the reviews & watching footage from JT 2017, Exit looks like it was the highlight of the whole tour!

I'm not saying bombard the tour with SoI & SoE, but leave some room for them. Which is tough to do when they're playing the entire Joshua Tree album. So it probably has to come at the expense of a few warhorses. It'll be worth it, I can see The Blackout being this years version of 2017's Exit. An under-rated Gem!

Same goes for Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way & The Little Things That Give You Away, they could turn out to be great closers, highlighting the newer albums.

I'd be happy with a few more tunes from the recent albums, but yes, I hope they play at least the ones you've mentioned.
    When I say 'we' I'm talking about the average Australian going to the show. In other words it is the Australian who hasn't seen U2 for 9 years and probably isn't a mad fan. They aren't the kind who spend their time on U2 forums or listen to their whole discography. As such they probably aren't familiar with I+E material and would much rather see U2 play hits.

I personally have a few friends who are excited about U2 coming to Australia and are likely to go but would struggle to name more than a couple of songs of their newest albums. These people don't want to see 4+ I+E songs, they want JT + hits.

Look at the way U2 has previously toured - they play more deep cuts and less popular material during arena tours and play a more hits heavy setlist during stadium tours; especially in regions such as Australia/Asia where U2 often come later. This makes sense considering that Stadium tours are bigger and therefore would contain more casual fans in the audience who would only really be familiar with the hits.
  6. Don't forget that there are some deep cuts in the TJT-segment. The non-hardcore fans and casuals will have heard maybe eight tracks they are not familiär with in a row when Mothers finishes, so some BD, Elevation and Vertigo are needed to get the crowd going again- and they work fine in that context in a stadium.
  7. Originally posted by ddarroch:[..]
    Who are you calling "we"!

- Pride / New Years Day
    - Vertigo / Elevation
    - Streets / Bad

Set lists are built to satisfy the 90% of fans that only see one gig from a tour they are not designed to suit the travelling fanatics who hog the front rows and dampen the atmosphere because they've seen it all before, it's like going to the cinema to see the same film multiple times your gonna get bored by the 2nd viewing the suspense and excitement is no longer there as you know what's gonna happen.
  8. Originally posted by DMMacdonald:I know they've said that it JT will be played in sequence, but I kind of disagree with it. I know they're not ones for rotating set lists, but playing JT in sequence kind of further limits it. Just me?
    Not just you; I thought it had a negative impact on the flow of the show because there was a clear interval between each song, just as there is on the album. One of the things U2 really excels at is the transition from one song to another. The most impressive sequence for me is the run of October into Bullet then Zooropa and Streets for i+e Paris. I thought JT30 was hampered because they couldn't smoothly unite the songs.
  9. Originally posted by Papo:Don't forget that there are some deep cuts in the TJT-segment. The non-hardcore fans and casuals will have heard maybe eight tracks they are not familiär with in a row when Mothers finishes, so some BD, Elevation and Vertigo are needed to get the crowd going again- and they work fine in that context in a stadium.
    ...and I think that is what's going to happen. I honestly dont see them change a lot to the 2017 setlist. The opening build up to the Joshua Tree worked out perfectly. The hits and crowd pleasers in the encore is what the 98% majority of the audience want. It's as simple as that.
  10. Ooooh no...these endless setlist discussions

I have seen them 11 times last year, and 16 times since 2015, and I still don't care what they play. I'm still satisfied that they just play.
    I guess 95% visitors of this tour haven't seen them the last 9 or 13 years, or even never before. So why do YOU care about what they play?
  11. Look at the way U2 has previously toured - they play more deep cuts and less popular material during arena tours and play a more hits heavy setlist during stadium tours; especially in regions such as Australia/Asia where U2 often come later

If you look at the last 360 show in Sydney that certainly wasn't the case. Out of a 24 song set, there were 4 new (and therefore mostly unfamiliar) songs from NLOTH, being Boots, Magnificent, Crazy and MOS; plus 6 songs you could not call hits by any stretch of the imagination - Return Of The Stingray Guitar, Love Rescue Me, In A Little While, Miss Sarajevo, Scarlet and Ultra Violet. That's about 40% of the list that weren't hits.
  12. Originally posted by Chrisssie:Ooooh no...these endless setlist discussions

I have seen them 11 times last year, and 16 times since 2015, and I still don't care what they play. I'm still satisfied that they just play.
    I guess 95% visitors of this tour haven't seen them the last 9 or 13 years, or even never before. So why do YOU care about what they play?
    I don't care how many times I've seen it live personally or listened to recordings of it, Streets injects me with joy every time I hear those opening chords.