Joshua Tree Tour 2019
Legs (1): New Zealand, Australia and Asia
Shows: 15
  1. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:[..]
    I don't care how many times I've seen it live personally or listened to recordings of it, Streets injects me with joy every time I hear those opening chords.
    Me too, and I'm beyond excited to hear it again live in 6 month
  2. You know, I’ve never understood the “people don’t want to hear the new stuff” argument — I don’t mean that I think it’s untrue, but I just can’t wrap my head around it. Like... the band is on tour because they have new material. That’s what they’re promoting, that’s what they are going to - and should - play. Why would go to the tour supporting a new album and be uninterested in the new stuff?

On the same page this is The Joshua Tree Tour and it’s been made clear that they’re playing the whole album. So... if you knew that going in, and I would think that a lot of ticket buyers would since it’s how the tour is being described in marketing, why wouldn’t you familiarize yourself with the album? Seems like if you KNOW they’ll be playing songs you aren’t familiar with, you should get to know them so you’ll enjoy the show more.

Honestly, I find the “just the hits” approach kind of disrespectful to the band (not just U2, but any artist). Maybe I’m weird but I just think it’s a little unfair to slag off a band’s newer material simply because you aren’t as familiar with it. I understand wanting to hear the hits and the songs you know well and love, that makes sense. But wanting to hear all of them and nothing new or obscure? Buy a Best Of CD and save your money.
  3. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:[..]

If you look at the last 360 show in Sydney that certainly wasn't the case. Out of a 24 song set, there were 4 new (and therefore mostly unfamiliar) songs from NLOTH, being Boots, Magnificent, Crazy and MOS; plus 6 songs you could not call hits by any stretch of the imagination - Return Of The Stingray Guitar, Love Rescue Me, In A Little While, Miss Sarajevo, Scarlet and Ultra Violet. That's about 40% of the list that weren't hits.

Actually I would argue that the 360 Australia tour was quite hits heavy, especially compared to the early shows. In 2009 they were playing Breathe, No line, Boots, Magnificent (all in sequence at the start), Unknown Caller, Crazy Tonight and Moment of Surrender - 7 songs from NLOTH compared to 4 in Australia.

Return of the stingray guitar basically acted as an extended intro for beautiful day. While Love Rescue Me isn't' super well known it does come from Rattle and Hum - U2's best selling album in Australia and it still very occasionally gets some radio airtime here. Ultraviolet may not be a massive hit from AB but it is still decently well known as appeared regularly on the 360 and JT30 tour - it has been played live over 200 times despite only appearing in 3 tours (Zoo TV, 360 and JT30). Miss Sarajevo is more of a deep cut but is also a somewhat well known song that has been performed close to 200 times over 3 tours (Vertigo, 360 and JT30). Scarlet is a legitimate deep cut.

Compare this to a tour from the I+E/E+I tour and you will see that they played far more deep cuts and less well known tracks throughout the whole tour. During the American E+I leg (looking at San Jose) they played LIAWHL, Blackout, LoH, RFD, YTBTAB, GOOYOW, American Soul, LIBTAIIW and 13 - 9 songs from Experience (Landlady was also Snippeted) plus another 3 songs from Innocence (Cedarwood, Wolves and Iris). Plus another 4 deep cuts/less well known songs, Gloria, the Ocean, Acrobat and Staring at the Sun, were played. That is 16 songs out of 26 that aren't hits/big U2 songs, plus don't forget that JT was completely omitted from that tour meaning that 3 of their biggest hits weren't played at all.
    I think it is quite easy to see from the above that 360 Australia was quite hit heavy whatever way you look at it.

Ultimately I don't they they will play many non-JT deep cuts/less well known songs because for the casual U2 fan who will turn to the concert (which lets face is a majority of the audience) they won't be very familiar with many of the songs beyond Bullet meaning they will have a run of 7 less well known songs.
  4. Yep, 360 got here nearly 2 years after NLOTH was released. As is often the case, we're an afterthough, the album hype subsided long ago. As you say, some of the less successful tracks off the new album often make way for other material.

Yeah, I was going to bring up there arena tours. It was amazing how much of the new material was played. In some of the early e+i shows, songs from the two recent albums made up nearly 50% of the setlist. Then throw in some deep cuts.

But I don't agree with those above who think that arena shows are for the hardcore fans, while stadiums are for casuals who only want hits. There's still a very high proportion of the crowds at arena shows that are casuals. Look at i+e New York. An 8 show residency, half of New York went to those shows (yes, an exaggeration)! I took a friend along to i+e London. She is as casual as they come, lucky if she knows Pride (maybe the tune, definitely not the name). She had a great time! It was all about the spectacle, not familiarity of every tune. It did help that she had #20 or something written on her hand I think that what happened with Cedarwood Road in 2015, & especially Exit in 2017. I think it can be The Blackout this year.

Nobody's expecting or asking for setlists like i+e/e+i heavy with new material or rare material. i+e had 5-7 new songs a night, plus deep cuts. e+i had even more. It would be nice to acknowledge these albums by playing a few tunes every night. There's room for them I feel.
  5. I'll make 2 posts, one with what might actually happen setlist wise and the other my personal wishlist.

0. PA Entrance: Love Is All We Have Left
    1. The Blackout or SBS
    2. SBS or New Year's Day E+I Mix
    3. MLK or Bad
    4. Pride
    5 - 15. Joshua Tree Album in sequential order

Encore:
    16. Summer Of Love or Miss Sarajevo
    17. Beautiful Day
    18. Elevation
    19. Vertigo
    20. Mysterious Ways
    20. Ultraviolet or Best Thing
    21. One or LIBTATIIW
  6. My wish list

1. God Pt 2 (Half Step Down)
    2. Desire
    3. All Along The Watchtower
    4. Pride
    5 - 15. Joshua Tree Album

Encore:
    16. Hawkmoon 269
    17. Beautiful Day
    18. Elevation
    19. Vertigo
    20. Tryin to Throw Your Arms Around the World or Wild Horses
    21. One
    22. Little Things / IWF / OOC / ASOHC / 40 or Kite
  7. 1. Pride (In the Name of Love)
    2. New Years Day
    3. All I Want is You
    -
    4. - 14. The Joshua Tree
    -
    15. The Blackout
    16. Lights of Home
    17. Iris
    18. Raised by Wolves
    19. Acrobat
    20. Vertigo
    21. Beautiful Day
    22. One
    23. I Will Follow
  8. Originally posted by MattG:1. Pride (In the Name of Love)
    2. New Years Day
    3. All I Want is You
    -
    4. - 14. The Joshua Tree
    -
    15. The Blackout
    16. Lights of Home
    17. Iris
    18. Raised by Wolves
    19. Acrobat
    20. Vertigo
    21. Beautiful Day
    22. One
    23. I Will Follow
    All I Want Is You > Streets Slane Castle style would be amazing!
  9. Can we start a petition for no Elevation this tour??
  10. I've got a feeling this tour is gonna be "the same" as the US rendition, with maybe a few big songs subbed for other big songs.

Won't be surprised to see Love Rescue Me, perhaps in the place of Sarajevo, but otherwise I think we're looking at standards.

AIWIY fits the tour, is a proven segue into Streets, and gives them the opportunity to "shake it up"

Pride is also a fantastic opener.
  11. I'd like to hear Bad segue into All I Want Is You which then goes into Streets. That would be awesome.
  12. That WOULD be awesome... and while I don’t expect it particularly, it seems reasonably plausible!!