2019-11-08 - Auckland
Tour: Joshua Tree Tour 2019
Songs played: 25
Audio recordings: 0
Videos: 1
  1. Anyone in the industry or who’s been in the industry know roughly how many tickets would need to be sold to break even on a second night at the same venue?
  2. Oh god. Surely this isnt good right?! Are they going to shift those tickets before show day?!
  3. It’s definitely not good you’re right about that. Even the most optimistic fan can’t be too confident of good sales for night 2. I reckon they could reduce the ticket prices by 50% and they’ll still only get about 80% of the stadium sold for night 2.
  4. I'm not having it that they'll play to a half empty stadium on night two...but looking at those sales so far....
  5. I don’t think it will be half empty but I think they’ll reduce the prices and they’ll get it about 70-75% full. Hope I’m wrong and probably could be.
  6. I went to the Arctic Monkeys at Spark arena in March and a few weeks before the show you could still comfortably pull up seats (GA had sold out within a few days) and thats in an arena. I guess thats how shows are going these days. Selling slower due to that much choice!
  7. Wow, I thought somebody said Auckland 2 sold out quickly. I retract my statement about a 3rd show lol!

One thing I will say is that Paul McGuiness was all about quick sellouts, and the hype that generated as a result. He would price shows so that they would sell out quickly. He has said so in various interviews. Nowadays, the norm is to overprice tickets and then gradually lower the price until they sell. If that takes right up until the day of the show, then so be it. They’re also beating the scalpers at their own game by doing this.

In 2017 I went to the Indianapolis U2 show. At first the Ticketmaster maps looked pretty bad, lots of little blue dots everywhere. But they kept lowering the prices, little by little. By the day of the show they had sold over 50,000 tickets and the place was pretty well full. I didn’t even buy my tickets until the week before the show, when a section that was previously $150 or so was backed down to $70. I checked the site everyday, and once that happened I jumped on it, and ended up with decent seats for a great price. I would expect all these shows with a lot of unsold tickets to do the same.

But yeah, that Auckland 2 map looks pretty bad. Unfortunately in the minds of a lot of people U2 are just another old foreign band with overpriced tickets.
  8. So much for anxiety of trying to secure tickets immediately when the presale started. Being able to choose my own seats is always better.
  9. That’s the thing, it’s pointless to do a presage now. It’s just another gimmick at this point. I haven’t had a fan club membership since the vertigo tour, and I always have been able to get what I want.
  10. I think a pre-sale code is quite useful? At least for Europe...
  11. I agree. European shows sold a lot better than U.S. shows last year so having a code definitely helped matters. The band are more popular in Europe it seems than anywhere else in the world at the moment.
  12. Originally posted by podiumboy:That’s the thing, it’s pointless to do a presage now. It’s just another gimmick at this point. I haven’t had a fan club membership since the vertigo tour, and I always have been able to get what I want.
    I bought a membership specifically for Japan. Access for the presale there was VERY useful. It not only got me tickets very early with no stress. It also meant I knew I had my tickets & didn't have to participate in a lottery, which is a long process. Importantly, if everything goes well, it also got me a place down the very front of GA, which will require no waiting.

Though I tend to agree that it's normally not necessary to have access to the presales, especially for stadiums. High demand arenas can be a different matter though.

I balked at the expense of a membership for Vertigo in arenas, & missed out on GA's show after show. Finally gave up on GA's, & bought cheap seats. Ended up selling them (couldn't justify staying in the US for another month for the shows, especially for seats, which I wasn't really happy about). So missed out on seeing them in arenas for the first time, & had to wait another 10 years for i+e.