2019-11-08 - Auckland
Tour: Joshua Tree Tour 2019
Songs played: 25
Audio recordings: 0
Videos: 1
  1. Agree, I would predict it will sell out easily .
  2. Asking NZ$360 for seats in the upper deck on the side (e.g Bays 3-5) is ridiculous and why these are not selling. For a couple, that's getting close to a grand by the time you add a meal, drinks, merchandise and transport. This dynamic pricing may hinder the scalpers but it penalises the fans who jump on board early anticipating high demand.
  3. Yeah thats true...and soon they will start selling these cheaper and they will get snapped up. I feel stoooooopid for buying an expensive seat to the 2nd show..should have waited in hindsight!
  4. Agree. Should of just got flight without a ticket and rocked up at 7pm and paid what the market price is
  5. But do you take the risk of delay, hoping #2 won't sell out just as fast as #1 did. To a degree, Live Nation are banking on FOMO.

Mind you, I can't complain too much as I was lured into seeing Phil Collins earlier this year by last minute tickets that were half the price I'd said 'no' to when they went on sale.
  6. To a degree??? Man, FOMO is Livenation's leitmotiv, the main engine that drives their whole business.
  7. Originally posted by podiumboy:
    The only Northern American U2 shows in 2017 that were disappointing sales wise were Pittsburgh (41,000, $4.2m), Buffalo (41,000, $4.2m), Kansas City (39,000, $4.2m), New Orleans (34,000, $3.8m), and the St. Louis show that was cancelled I heard had roughly 35-40,000 tickets sold. Even those aren't total disasters either. Of those, only Pittsburgh was undersold to the point that they had to tarp off sections and move people around. Not many other artists could sell 39,000 tickets in Kansas City, or 41,000 in Buffalo. GnR sold 40,000 in KC, so the same. And they sold only 32,000 in Buffalo, same stadium.

I don't mean to derail this thread again.

But why the hell did the band do so many shows in the Red States of America in 2017?

They did Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Louisville, Indianapolis, Kansas City, St. Louis, New Orleans, Detroit, Phoenix, and Buffalo (not located in a red state but part of the Rust Belt) all in one tour.

They should've done just done Cleveland and Detroit (two cities that had not been visited on 360), and then leave out Pittsburgh (which didn't even sell out on 360) and Buffalo. Only one or two stadiums shows would be necessary to meet demand in the Rust Belt.

And what was the deal with doing two stadiums shows in Missouri? And including Indianapolis? And adding Louisville during the first leg? The Midwest is a weak market for the band, and everyone knows that.

Lastly, I'm still scratching my head over why New Orleans and Phoenix were added towards the end.
  8. I have no idea why they did all those cities. But as a fan who lives in Ohio, I have had to travel to Chicago many times to see U2 due to there being no closer shows. With the 2017 schedule, I thought I had died and gone to heaven! I had Detroit, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Cleveland and Indy all within a 3 hour drive from my house. Last time that happened was the first leg of Elevation! I ended up going to Cleveland and Indy, and was able to sleep in my own bed after I got home!
  9. Originally posted by HBK79:[..]

But why the hell did the band do so many shows in the Red States of America in 2017?

They did Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Louisville, Indianapolis, Kansas City, St. Louis, New Orleans, Detroit, Phoenix, and Buffalo (not located in a red state but part of the Rust Belt) all in one tour.

They should've done just done Cleveland and Detroit (two cities that had not been visited on 360), and then leave out Pittsburgh (which didn't even sell out on 360) and Buffalo. Only one or two stadiums shows would be necessary to meet demand in the Rust Belt.

And what was the deal with doing two stadiums shows in Missouri? And including Indianapolis? And adding Louisville during the first leg? The Midwest is a weak market for the band, and everyone knows that.

Lastly, I'm still scratching my head over why New Orleans and Phoenix were added towards the end.
    And for New Orleans, the Superdome is huge.
  10. Originally posted by HBK79:[..]

TJT was such an American album it sold massive amounts there especially in the Red states ,the regular guy that works on the ranch or the gas station probably owns one U2 album and it's TJT it made perfect sense to play there.
  11. You can say the midwest is a weak market for U2, but at least in the case of Cleveland, Detroit, Louisville and Indy, the shows sold very well. I'd say drawing almost 40,000 to Kansas City is a victory as well, considering that was the biggest crowd they ever pulled in for KC (including Zoo TV, in the same stadium).

Anyway, not sure how a conversation about Auckland turned into discussing shows in the midwestern United States! They need to slash those prices ASAP, and then start advertising locally. Maybe do a live broadcast to a popular talk show/late night show in NZ/Aus, etc.
  12. Originally posted by podiumboy:I have no idea why they did all those cities. But as a fan who lives in Ohio, I have had to travel to Chicago many times to see U2 due to there being no closer shows. With the 2017 schedule, I thought I had died and gone to heaven! I had Detroit, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Cleveland and Indy all within a 3 hour drive from my house. Last time that happened was the first leg of Elevation! I ended up going to Cleveland and Indy, and was able to sleep in my own bed after I got home!
    I'm glad that the band did stadium shows in Detroit, Minneapolis, and Cleveland for the first time in many years. However, I feel that visiting all those secondary markets was a tad bit excessive.

They could've just tacked on shows in Detroit, Minneapolis, and Cleveland before going on to Europe. That way the band could've went to Latin America in September, journey to the Pacific in October, and finally return to the US for the SOE promo in December. No need to do an extension of the NA leg.