1. Originally posted by kezman:ATYCLB and SOE are miles and miles apart,ATYCLB was the rebirth,exciting,going back to roots,getting back to the top,SOE was aged men trying too hard with a record ridiculously polished aiming for perfection it missed the target somewhat.
    They are still big hitters on the live scene,so they are very much still relevant in today's music scene,it's not like they are playing to 500 people in a music hall somewhere.
    I don't think they will retire though,Bono and Edge need the band to stay popular figures,they are legends and regardless of any future solo projects or input nothing will give them the spotlight of a U2 album/tour.
    I dunno both of them could branch out and do their own thing or work as a duo they are both as famous as they can ever be regardless of being in U2 ,I found it odd during the promotional tour of SOE it was mainly just the two of them doing the appearances apart from a few big TV shows ,did the other two not want to do it or are they getting tired of all the fanfare that goes with being in U2, Larry in particular has stepped back from doing anything that isn't completely necessary as regards band activities.
  2. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    I dunno both of them could branch out and do their own thing or work as a duo they are both as famous as they can ever be regardless of being in U2 ,I found it odd during the promotional tour of SOE it was mainly just the two of them doing the appearances apart from a few big TV shows ,did the other two not want to do it or are they getting tired of all the fanfare that goes with being in U2, Larry in particular has stepped back from doing anything that isn't completely necessary as regards band activities.
    I'm not sure,yeah they could do their own things I just don't think it would have the same allure as a U2 project.
    Take the Gallagher's as an example,both have made new music but if they reformed Oasis they would sell 10 times as many albums/tickets.
    You're right about Larry,maybe he does want to call it a day which would be very sad,but I would be happy for the band to carry on with a replacement drummer.
  3. I don’t think Larry wants to call it a day I just think as popmarter was saying he doesn’t want to do any of the non essential parts of being in the band. Being in the studio and touring is probably enough for him and I would imagine he still enjoys making new music and playing music it’s chat shows and that kind of stuff that he probably can’t be bothered with.
  4. I love how laidback Larry is - probably why he's my favourite band member. He just wants a pint, no bullshit.
  5. I'm surprised Larry hasn't used this technique from Adam yet

6. Originally posted by kezman:[..]
    I'm not sure,yeah they could do their own things I just don't think it would have the same allure as a U2 project.
    Take the Gallagher's as an example,both have made new music but if they reformed Oasis they would sell 10 times as many albums/tickets.
    You're right about Larry,maybe he does want to call it a day which would be very sad,but I would be happy for the band to carry on with a replacement drummer.
    I find it hard to believe they'll carry on with a replacement drummer. Or bassplayer, or guitarplayer or singer. It's one of the strengths that they are together since 1977. I think if 1 of them quit, they split up.
  7. Originally posted by deanallison:I don’t think Larry wants to call it a day I just think as popmarter was saying he doesn’t want to do any of the non essential parts of being in the band. Being in the studio and touring is probably enough for him and I would imagine he still enjoys making new music and playing music it’s chat shows and that kind of stuff that he probably can’t be bothered with.
    but acting and all that time and effort that that takes he's okay with?

one goes they all go

of course I hope they never split and it doesn't have to happen but their output these last 10 years (fuck me 10 years!) - bar a few excellent songs here and there on the odd album - has been meh

still the best live act I've seen - and I've seen all the highest grossing acts over the last 20 years or so from Bowie to Springsteen to Floyd to Coldplay (yes, they are excellent live too) - but my boys are still the best and have given me lots of happy memories as I have given them lots of my money!

If they went solo:

Bono - his album would be dull as most of his collaborations have been
    Edge - his would be interesting but possibly (tongue placed firmly in cheek) over-produced just a tad
    Adam - think he'd rather guest on someone else's
    Larry - do I have to answer
  8. Originally posted by TheRealEdge:[..]
    but acting and all that time and effort that that takes he's okay with?

one goes they all go

of course I hope they never split and it doesn't have to happen but their output these last 10 years (fuck me 10 years!) - bar a few excellent songs here and there on the odd album - has been meh

still the best live act I've seen - and I've seen all the highest grossing acts over the last 20 years or so from Bowie to Springsteen to Floyd to Coldplay (yes, they are excellent live too) - but my boys are still the best and have given me lots of happy memories as I have given them lots of my money!

If they went solo:

Bono - his album would be dull as most of his collaborations have been
    Edge - his would be interesting but possibly (tongue placed firmly in cheek) over-produced just a tad
    Adam - think he'd rather guest on someone else's
    Larry - do I have to answer
    Acting is probably more fun to him than a chat show yes. More work but he’s not work shy he probably just can’t be bothered with doing a show in front of a live studio audience and answering questions, some of which can be a bit stupid on these shows. I agree if one leaves u2 finish but I don’t think anyone will leave unless someone’s health suffers in a severe way or when sadly one of them passes away which doesn’t feel nice typing.
  9. Singers are interchangeable - Larry
  10. I feel like Larry has somewhat entered a state of semi-retirement. I doubt he is very involved in the songwriting / music-making at this point. I think he is at this point a well-paid employee. Part of U2's appeal is that it's still the 4 of them, after 40 years. He doesn't do interviews, and only the most essential of promo appearances (SNL, Fallon, Kimmel, etc). Bono and Edge write the songs, and come up with the main vision for the band. He comes in and plays his parts, appears in the band photos/videos, and plays the concerts. The income from touring is the main appeal from him.

I don't doubt that he still values his friendships with Bono, Edge, Adam and their staff, and I'm sure he's quite proud of U2's legacy, past and present. But I think that if the money weren't so good, he'd be gone.

11. I'm partially ashamed at how much money I would pay to see this.
  12. Larry enjoyed the 2019 JT tour a lot. He had fun and he seemed to love performing and engaging with the audience. I think playing new cities for the first time ever or after many years rejuvenated him.
    Also, I don't remember where, but I remember it was in 2018 at a show, probably after Best thing about me where Adam and Larry leave the e - stage & Bono said sth like 'That's Larry. He started the band. Believe me he loves all this even if it doesn't show'. If anyone remembers exactly what was said, please share, I only sort of remember it was sth like this.