1. Originally posted by zooropa93:I remember that they were apparently really close to returning to Europe in 2002 and an announcement was being made around Feb 02... McGuinness made the ‘we have underplayed Europe for years’ comment so really thought it was going to happen but obviously nothing did.

Think about what happened in 2001. Bono lost a parent and had a child. Largest attack ever on American mainland soil. All of those things had to factor into postponment. It's a miracle the third leg was realized.
  2. Also Joey Ramone RIP a FOB.
  3. Originally posted by miryclay:[..]

Think about what happened in 2001. Bono lost a parent and had a child. Largest attack ever on American mainland soil. All of those things had to factor into postponment. It's a miracle the third leg was realized.
    They were very close to playing Europe in 2002 they even mentioned it in propaganda that they had a plan to to do it but pulled the plug on it citing that they felt the campaign had run it's course and it was time to start on the next album,now maybe as Mirclay mentioned those other events that took place may have led them to rethink their plans.
  4. Originally posted by miryclay:[..]

having a child and probably also losing his dad was already factored in before they went on tour I think. And according to Bono the attacks were actually just another reason to get back on tour. I think you're exaggerating things a bit
  5. Originally posted by Ricku2:[..]
    having a child and probably also losing his dad was already factored in before they went on tour I think. And according to Bono the attacks were actually just another reason to get back on tour. I think you're exaggerating things a bit
    Not really. All these things grow perspective over time. All this emotional turmoil developed while on tour. Imagine going home after this, looking back and realising the extent of events. Enough to put anyone off touring for a while.
  6. Originally posted by KieranU2:[..]
    Not really. All these things grow perspective over time. All this emotional turmoil developed while on tour. Imagine going home after this, looking back and realising the extent of events. Enough to put anyone off touring for a while.
    I think they were finished anyway. Having a child, losing your dad, these are just things that happen in life. With four band members there's always something going on. Edge lost his parents, Larry lost his dad, Adam became a father.. I think what happened with Sian was the only thing that really had a big influence on their schedule. And as Bono always mentioned at their concerts, they put their 3rd leg tickets on sale after September 11.
  7. I think they decided to continue to tour after 9/11. But as Welshedge noted, the tickets went on sale the day before.

I would have understood if they neglected to tour because of the events but in hindsight it was the best thing to do (to continue playing).
  8. Rick, fans of Bono are allowed to exaggerate!
  9. so when was that 2002 leg considered? I'm quite sure that was after John Abraham's birth, Bob Hewson's passing and the September 11 attacks.. so what are we talking about? I don't think it was ever a serious option.
  10. I think they considered going forward in 'chunks'. I guess they ran out of steam by Miami in December.
  11. I really believe that they were just ready to move on by the end of 2001. They probably didn’t still want to be touring ATYCLB in late 2002, because at the times they were a very relevant band. They probably thought they could produce a follow up album quickly and then tour that in 2003 or 2004. But, yeah... U2.
  12. Electrical Storm on the 2002 leg though... could have been interesting!