1. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]
    Well yes it’s an original U2 composition but surely it must be totally influenced by the movie it serves and not therefore a song that would be made for a U2 record.

If they put this on an album then I’d be saying it’s as weak as piss but if it’s a track to serve a narrative in an animated movie then surely it can only be scrutinised within that context?

Correct. That was my point above, as well. I think considering the context it's a nice little tune that I'm sure will resonate more when seeing the movie. Keep in mind I have four daughters, the oldest of whom is eight, so we are all excited to go see this!
  2. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]
    Well yes it’s an original U2 composition but surely it must be totally influenced by the movie it serves and not therefore a song that would be made for a U2 record.

If they put this on an album then I’d be saying it’s as weak as piss but if it’s a track to serve a narrative in an animated movie then surely it can only be scrutinised within that context?
    I agree there the song has been written around the movie no doubt there, I’m just taking it as a regular u2 song though because I don’t think it deserves the negative criticism even if it was on an album. I think it’s a very good song but I think they’ll be coming in for a lot of criticism on the next album in fact as this is very much a route i expect them to go down based on what Adam had said in relation to stuck in a moment being an influence. I think he was talking more about the piano version they’ve been doing like at the Apollo. Expect more Edge on piano in future, I’m happy with that. Better than something like best thing or boots. Not as good as some great songs but I’m claiming it as very good not great.
  3. It is growing on me. It will never be my favourite, but the song is OK.

I really like the piano at the beginning
  4. Originally posted by u2wanderer1:[..]
    I’ve learned on social media the loudest voices tend to be the negative ones. Yesterday I was seeing a bunch of comments about how this isn’t a U2 song, it’s a Bono solo song. Looked at it later in the day and realized it was the same person over and over. They wanted their opinion to be heard.

I don’t think it will ever be my favourite song. But i don’t get the hate for it. It’s pretty much what I was expecting from a soundtrack side project type thing. Gives me something new to listen to. I am amazed at the four in the morning lyric, which tied it back to The Little Things. Almost a continuation of that story. That was kind of a neat touch. Adds something to it when you know U2’s songs and aren’t just getting exposed in the theatre.

And I’m happy to see U2 stretching out and trying to cultivate new listeners. At their age they could have just done a few more albums and a few tours. The bills are paid, the kids are out of the house. But U2 X-Radio goes after the satellite FM owners, the Martin Garrix track went for the soccer fans, this goes for a younger audience, they did 55 remixes of Love is Bigger and held Pride events to celebrate the song to go after the LGBT audience. They keep pushing into new corners to see who they can reach. Tells me they haven’t given up yet…

Yep. The loudest are the most negative. Post after post
  5. The track doesn’t sound too bad for a first listen. Not great either. But I was surprised to hear that in several parts it sounds like Bono had a hoarse/raspy voice at the time when his vocals were recorded.
  6. I think all the strong reactions to this song positive and negative are kind of funny. Sure it’s new U2 but the intended audience is 6 year olds and maybe their parents. I really don’t think it’s intended to be a statement or hint of any U2 direction. It’s a song crafted for a purpose - to fit the narrative of a cartoon movie.

THTBA was U2 aching for an Oscar. This is strikes me as a one-off random side project that says little to nothing about where the band is musically.

If your 6 or 8 year old son/daughter is singing this walking out of the movie, then it’s a successful song.
  7. It's a side project and just meh whatever...don't feel strongly enough about it either way

8. From the Irish Independent…posted without comment
  9. Couldn’t disagree more. Ahimsa is nowhere near as good as Your Song Saved My Life. I would without question rather they went down the route of Your song saved my life rather than Ahimsa going forward.
  10. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Couldn’t disagree more. Ahimsa is nowhere near as good as Your Song Saved My Life. I would without question rather they went down the route of Your song saved my life rather than Ahimsa going forward.
    I would just stop listening to any new stuff if they went down any of those routes - two songs I have no interest of ever hearing again.