1. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Interesting. A clear reference to our conversation yesterday which I thought Remy had put an end to. He certainly said anyone who carried it on would be on the receiving end of a suspension. Will be interesting to see if he carries out his promise. I’ll choose not to engage.
    I didn’t even reply to you so I’m not sure why you think I’m referring to you? I’m staying on topic and I’m sharing my opinion on the new record. For someone claiming they don’t want to engage, I find it ironic you consistently reply to everything I say and try to “karen-tell” on me for having a discussion with other forum members.
  2. Originally posted by hedyzera:[..]
    it's just a song that didn't catch me, it sounds to me like a weak song like any other U2's weak song. but it's just my opinion, nothing more.
    Agree
  3. Originally posted by cookoman:Bono's voice over recent years has grown weaker and I can't help but think Larry has all but called it a day.

The result has been a series of bono and edge acoustic numbers that shows the exact opposite of what I love as a fan.

A strained, out of tune singer and a guitarist without the effects and sounds that made him one of the greats.

Please let it be April fools...

He sounds terrible in the acoustic Sunday Bloody Sunday, hope it’s not a permanent thing for the album
  4. I think it's his new style of singing - less deep notes and more lighter, non-straining ones. Different style for sure, but it's probably just what suits his abilities nowadays..I thought his voice during the recent speech when he sang bits of Redemption Song sounded pretty good
  5. Originally posted by beerok:A few quick thoughts:

1) It would be good for U2's egos (and therefore for us) if they were able to land a major hit with a reworked song, sort of like Sweetest Thing which really put them back on the map for many non diehards after Pop.

Quick, name a rock band with most members over 40 that have had a "Major Hit" since 2010? Can't think of any? What about a band with most over 50 that have had a big hit? None? Well, what about over 60???? The answer is none, none, and none, and VERY VERY NONE, if that means anything. U2's 2010's search for relevance brought them the smash hit uhhh ummm, uh, "The Blackout" Anyone? "American Soul" ??? You're The Best Thing hit #92 in the UK. Yep, that's about the biggest Major hit they have had since Boots hit #37 in the USA back in 2009.

News Flash: Any album of remakes is not going to produce anything close to a hit. Songs of Guilt, Songs of Ascent, Songs Of Pizza, whatever album release will only be relevant to die hard U2 fans. A tiny tiny portion of music fans. Sad, but this is true. Even in 2009-2011, watching fans emptying out during Moment Of Surrender. A nice song, but the worst closer they ever could have chosen. In Stadium shows where maybe 500 out of 60,000 even knew the song lol.
  6. Nick Cave and the badseeds

7. I agree. Makes sense. Most obvious precedent. Love that version. I expect more with a similar approach. Adam has hinted at a Leonard Cohen vibe which would suit an aging voice like Bono’s and mean he doesn’t have to shout so much as he has in recent years. Also, perhaps the Patti Smith take on End of the World would be a nice template to follow suit.
  8. I like the version but it's as boring as it gets, specially for a song like UTEOTW. If that's their template for Songs Of Surrender then the album will be a snooze fest.
  9. I really don't like the sound of this album, I would rather have no album at all....
  10. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I like the version but it's as boring as it gets, specially for a song like UTEOTW. If that's their template for Songs Of Surrender then the album will be a snooze fest.
    The need to starting acting their age. They’re practically pensioners. Pensioners, don’t they love a good snooze? Time for a snooze.
  11. Originally posted by TheRefugee:[..]
    The need to starting acting their age. They’re practically pensioners. Pensioners, don’t they love a good snooze? Time for a snooze.
    Sadly, they are acting their age. 10 billion other older acts have done remake albums of classics or their own songs. Like I said in the other thread, making a remake album is not only an overblown overdone trend, it's a requirement. Unavoidable. I was hoping U2 would not fall into the trap of doing what so many others are doing/have done. "Sting Rod Stewart Syndrome" is unavoidable. Not the end of the world, though.
  12. Maybe this will create some goodwill in the public and then pave the way for their next album. Most than likely SOS will have such a small impact that it will barely break even on what it cost to record it.