1. Originally posted by Faceman2000:Fans: They really need to stop chasing after relevance and just release a passion project.

U2: Okay.

Fans: NO, not like THAT!

Haven’t made it all the way through, but overall I’m enjoying it. Definitely highs and lows, but across forty tracks I had expected that. I would’ve preferred more reimaginings, and I really could’ve done without another version of EBW and Ordinary Love, but it’s quite pleasant listening. And Bono’s falsetto is probably the best it’s been in twenty years!
    This really does sum us up doesn't it?
  2. I have finally listened to everything. (Except Peace On Earth. Couldn’t finish it.)

I likely will not listen to at least half of the songs on this album ever again, but there were some okay moments and just a couple of really nice ones.

I hope they have a strong producer and Adam and Larry back soon.
  3. Little things and 40 were so nice to close it out. Hope we see that sometime
  4. Kind of feel like we are looking at the future.

The songs are great...some REALLY great, some just sort of good. Some are 'meh.' It's truly unique, when you think about it, and it's something that I will grow to cherish in the days/weeks to come. There is nothing like listening to a new U2 song, and although these are established, they are "new."

But this is a U2 retrospective, but it's really a The Edge and Bono project. Maybe it's just paranoia with Larry not participating in the Vegas shows, but I think this this is the touring future.

"Bono and The Edge sing the Songs of U2" -- no Adam and no Larry. Those two seem like they have always been the ones okay with walking away, and maybe we are coming to that. Not FOREVER walking away, but it gives them an out.

These guys are in their 60's -- things WILL wind down. This might be the future.
  5. Oops double post
  6. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]
    Sad things.

BUT, if we are entering a new phase of Bono’s vocals and they have somehow enjoyed this process with less reliance on multiple producers etc etc then maybe they will take some of this forward into a new record. That would excite me.

True enough!

Haha, also kind of true...but I also feel as though those of us who have said "U2 should stop chasing relevance" have followed that up with "and do something experimental", not necessarily "do a passion project".

But maybe I'm just moving the goal posts

I think there's definitely something to this though, a bit of a monkey's paw situation. This album definitely isn't U2 chasing the mainstream, and that's definitely what many of us asked for - an album that wasn't chasing mainstream attention.

Ask and you shall receive...
  7. This album is the acoustic album we were all clamouring for so many years..... This delivers tremendously !!
    It will linger in our heart for years to come..... I am shedding some tears of joy.
  8. Ok I just finished it all.
    And... it wasn't as bad as we thought it was gonna be?

I mean, don't get me wrong. There are some pretty awful and/or unnecessary versions in there. And the production sounds really amateurish.

But there are some good tunes, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, 40, Two Hearts, Stories For Boys and If God Will Send his angels are highlights for me

6/10 from me just because of those songs
    I won't revisit most of these versions though
  9. Originally posted by Hoosier2012:I have finally listened to everything. (Except Peace On Earth. Couldn’t finish it.)

I likely will not listen to at least half of the songs on this album ever again, but there were some okay moments and just a couple of really nice ones.

I hope they have a strong producer and Adam and Larry back soon.
    You have to listen at least 3 times the whole thing. Even peace in earth will grow on you. There are some realy great tunes on this album. My favorites: invisible, dirty day, the mirical, city, vertigo (!), the fly, if God will send his, angels, desire, end of the world, …
  10. Originally posted by Pipo:[..]
    You have to listen at least 3 times the whole thing. Even peace in earth will grow on you. There are some realy great tunes on this album. My favorites: invisible, dirty day, the mirical, city, vertigo (!), the fly, if God will send his, angels, desire, end of the world, …
    Peace On Earth will absolutely not grow on me, lol. The vocal is so, so bad.

I’m very much done with many of these.
  11. Originally posted by Pipo:[..]
    Definitely..... This album is a real grower. Every song has some worthwhile quality !!