1. Originally posted by germcevoy:What does it mean that there are so many songs on this album taken from the two before it (as well as Ordinary Love & Invisible)?

I was thinking the same until I realised SOI is 10 years old next year. Although they're the 2 most recent albums, a good amount of time has passed.
  2. Originally posted by germcevoy:What does it mean that there are so many songs on this album taken from the two before it (as well as Ordinary Love & Invisible)?

And furthermore, how can pretty much all of them be better than the originals? I'll conceded on GOOYOW but choosing the best version of that song is like choosing between which friend you want to sleep with your wife.
    That's what I never understood. I'm liking SoS and all, but it's interesting that they felt that so many songs from the last ten years needed to be reimagined or updated. I would have been happy with them skipping those and going further back into the catalog, honestly. I do think Lights of Home was an improvement, but it wasn't a favorite to begin with
  3. I love the line "In your eyes I see" during LOH SOS version.

4. The post of the month award goes to…
  5. Love the whole new version of LOH. slightly slower and a half step down it works for me. B gets more space to tell the story, and it's clearer (and a better vocal)
  6. Anyone else order Songs of Surrender from U2.com? I bought the 40 song LP and CD. The website says they shipped last Friday at 7 PM. But the USPS says that teaching hasn’t shipped yet! Super frustrating. Is this timing typical for other folks who ordered, or this a clear fuck up?
  7. Originally posted by tbirdgnv:Anyone else order Songs of Surrender from U2.com? I bought the 40 song LP and CD. The website says they shipped last Friday at 7 PM. But the USPS says that teaching hasn’t shipped yet! Super frustrating. Is this timing typical for other folks who ordered, or this a clear fuck up?
    I had the same experience! I finally got a notification today that it was in my city, but a week later! It was definitely frustrating and hard to get a clear answer. I contacted U2.com and they were actually super responsive and nice, but ultimately had to defer to the USPS which is where the issue was obviously. I hope you hear the same good news soon!

8. Could have been more had they not cost so much down here. Our biggest music retailer is charging US$24 or EU22 for the single CD and US$62 or EU57 for standard vinyl 😵‍💫
  9. Originally posted by germcevoy:What does it mean that there are so many songs on this album taken from the two before it (as well as Ordinary Love & Invisible)?

And furthermore, how can pretty much all of them be better than the originals? I'll conceded on GOOYOW but choosing the best version of that song is like choosing between which friend you want to sleep with your wife.

I have the same thoughts and will go one further by saying that I actually like the new GOOYOW better than the original, too.

Andy Barlow and Jacknife Lee brought a different kind of sonic spark to certain songs on SOE that are partly why I prefer that album over SOI, whereas SOI - while more cohesive - still just feels bland, digitized, and one-note in its execution on the original album to me.

Listening to songs like Invisible, the Miracle, Song for Someone, even Every Breaking Wave in these sparser arrangements is glorious. No more overproduced noise, too-high of singing by Bono. Just great songs.
  10. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]

I have the same thoughts and will go one further by saying that I actually like the new GOOYOW better than the original, too.

Andy Barlow and Jacknife Lee brought a different kind of sonic spark to certain songs on SOE that are partly why I prefer that album over SOI, whereas SOI - while more cohesive - still just feels bland, digitized, and one-note in its execution on the original album to me.

Listening to songs like Invisible, the Miracle, Song for Someone, even Every Breaking Wave in these sparser arrangements is glorious. No more overproduced noise, too-high of singing by Bono. Just great songs.
    In a nut shell. A good song is a good song. But a good song can be hamstrung by the incorrect production.
  11. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]

Lights of Home, Invisible and Song For Someone I think really surpass the originals, just became better songs. And nicer produced than other SoS tracks.

GOOYOW an The Miracle have too many issues I think. GOOYOW sounds (again) like a kitchen recording on a cassete player and The Miracle chorus lyric changes take it out of context for me. Could be that they were never great songs to begin with