1. I love these "I have been a fan since ________" post. "I even liked their last ____ albums which were pretty crap." "But SOS.... SOS...I'm done..." *Cries
  2. After my 10 billion negative(which translates to honest in my language) posts about this album before hearing it, I promised to give my review after a few listens. The bad news here, is that I haven't been able to make it through my second listen. I've been going back to Tears For Fears The Tipping Point, Duran Duran's Future Past, even Def Leppard's Diamond Star Halos instead. So how do I feel so far?

I actually like the album about 5 billion times more than I thought I would. The bad news? Since my opinion was that it was going to be the worst thing ever, I don't know how to coompute taking that negative number in relation to how I rate it.

In all seriousness, I like it a lot more than I thought....but my opinion has not changed. It was a waste of time. Not a single song is better than the original. Not one. A few of them are dreadful. Desire comes to mind..in fact the stink of it is keeping my fingers numb. I simply rearranged the four discs in chronic logic order lol or chronological order. Another thing, a lot of the songs sound like the music could be interchangeable with others. Running To Stand Still could be sung to multiple songs. Lazy guitar, and trend following at its worst in some cases. The reworking thing is a horrible trend that artists feel they are doing something creative that has been done before over and over. Now Def Leppard is doing the overdone orchestral thing. Only twist is they are using original vocal tracks instead of having old Joe Elliot record new ones. Can an orchestra U2 album be next? Hope not.

Some plusses? Two Hearts is nice. The early ones are nice too. Stories For Boys, Out Of Control shine. I Will Follow has some weakness, but a good song usually does well no matter what the reworking is(Other then Red Hill Mining Desire Disaster!!!) Red Hill is nice, just made a dumb joke with Desire). Wild Horses, Little Things, and 40 not bad. One is dwarfed like crazy from the original. It's still a decent listen, but even at the highest of the highs, the album suffers from not holding a candle to the original. If God Would Send His Inspiration For A New Album would be the best thing for this band. Wasting any time taking away from a future "REAL" album is the biggest crime for this somewhat useless project. Had they just done one 80 minute album of these things, maybe not so bad, but reworking 50 songs is a crime. Angels, by the way, was done nice.

On a side note, I wonder just how involved Adam and Larry are in the songwriting process? I wish they had worked together on the side, as Bono and Edge obviously spend a lot of time working on stuff. Then the 2 groups could bring in some things and do some cut and paste. Perhaps they do this without our knowledge. It would've been nice for more behind the scenes video, not so unlike Aerosmith's The Making Of Pump. My real fear is that this reworking monster is simply the effect of serious writer's block, or lack of faith in the material they already have. Still, U2 has given us more than enough for the rest of our lives. Anything new from them is a bonus, and just that.

In final, this album never should have existed, but there is a small part of me that smiled a bit during some of the songs. The fact that I still have only listened to 20 of the songs more than once says a lot. I may never give Desire a second listen. Maybe Two Hearts and Out Of Control 3 or 4 times. So after all this time, my opinion has not changed, but it was better than expected.
  3. Originally posted by pleasegone:After my 10 billion negative(which translates to honest in my language) posts about this album before hearing it, I promised to give my review after a few listens. The bad news here, is that I haven't been able to make it through my second listen. I've been going back to Tears For Fears The Tipping Point, Duran Duran's Future Past, even Def Leppard's Diamond Star Halos instead. So how do I feel so far?

I actually like the album about 5 billion times more than I thought I would. The bad news? Since my opinion was that it was going to be the worst thing ever, I don't know how to coompute taking that negative number in relation to how I rate it.

In all seriousness, I like it a lot more than I thought....but my opinion has not changed. It was a waste of time. Not a single song is better than the original. Not one. A few of them are dreadful. Desire comes to mind..in fact the stink of it is keeping my fingers numb. I simply rearranged the four discs in chronic logic order lol or chronological order. Another thing, a lot of the songs sound like the music could be interchangeable with others. Running To Stand Still could be sung to multiple songs. Lazy guitar, and trend following at its worst in some cases. The reworking thing is a horrible trend that artists feel they are doing something creative that has been done before over and over. Now Def Leppard is doing the overdone orchestral thing. Only twist is they are using original vocal tracks instead of having old Joe Elliot record new ones. Can an orchestra U2 album be next? Hope not.

Some plusses? Two Hearts is nice. The early ones are nice too. Stories For Boys, Out Of Control shine. I Will Follow has some weakness, but a good song usually does well no matter what the reworking is(Other then Red Hill Mining Desire Disaster!!!) Red Hill is nice, just made a dumb joke with Desire). Wild Horses, Little Things, and 40 not bad. One is dwarfed like crazy from the original. It's still a decent listen, but even at the highest of the highs, the album suffers from not holding a candle to the original. If God Would Send His Inspiration For A New Album would be the best thing for this band. Wasting any time taking away from a future "REAL" album is the biggest crime for this somewhat useless project. Had they just done one 80 minute album of these things, maybe not so bad, but reworking 50 songs is a crime. Angels, by the way, was done nice.

On a side note, I wonder just how involved Adam and Larry are in the songwriting process? I wish they had worked together on the side, as Bono and Edge obviously spend a lot of time working on stuff. Then the 2 groups could bring in some things and do some cut and paste. Perhaps they do this without our knowledge. It would've been nice for more behind the scenes video, not so unlike Aerosmith's The Making Of Pump. My real fear is that this reworking monster is simply the effect of serious writer's block, or lack of faith in the material they already have. Still, U2 has given us more than enough for the rest of our lives. Anything new from them is a bonus, and just that.

In final, this album never should have existed, but there is a small part of me that smiled a bit during some of the songs. The fact that I still have only listened to 20 of the songs more than once says a lot. I may never give Desire a second listen. Maybe Two Hearts and Out Of Control 3 or 4 times. So after all this time, my opinion has not changed, but it was better than expected.
    Many share your view of SOS. I actually quite like it and, as noted in a previous thread, find more than a handful of these new versions to be improvements upon the original. I concede that that is a minority opinion, though...

I am holding out hope that this is not simply evidence of writer's block but more an Edge-led passion project that the pandemic lockdowns inspired. Edge keeps saying how excited he is about the wealth of new material they are sitting on, and I'm more keen to believe him than anything Bono says about a new album. So we'll see...
  4. Bono has had 'writers block' since SOI unfortunately.
  5. Originally posted by pleasegone:After my 10 billion negative(which translates to honest in my language) posts about this album before hearing it, I promised to give my review after a few listens. The bad news here, is that I haven't been able to make it through my second listen. I've been going back to Tears For Fears The Tipping Point, Duran Duran's Future Past, even Def Leppard's Diamond Star Halos instead. So how do I feel so far?

Where is the Prince reference in your post? Can't find it ...

Just kidding. I mostly share your eventual views and thoughts on the album, even though I confess I haven't listened to SOS all in one go (I haven't even listened to it in its entirety because some songs I skipped halfway through).

All in all, I just want this whole Songs+Stories Of Surrender+Vegas/UV era to be over and have them move on to a new album and world tour. Quick.
  6. I'm labeling SOS 40 songs as signature horrible demo acoustic songs as a first try.
  7. I am generally not a fan of best of albums or newly remixed re-releases and my expectations were certainly not high when I heard that Songs of Surrender would be released with acoustic versions or with strip down versions, my expectations were not high at all . In my opinion, U2 songs are not very suitable for this or U2 cannot approach the original performance in this way.

I deliberately did not listen to the fragments that were launched by U2.com in advance or read reviews and waited until the CDs were in the mailbox, to be able to listen to SOS as unbiased as possible. I have now listened to Songs of Surrender about 4 times. And that was a long one. And unfortunately these listening sessions confirm my opinion. All in all, I find SOS boring and sleep-inducing. At almost no time did I have the feeling, hey this sounds good, it touches me and approaches the original. For me, SOS is not a U2 album from the band I became a fan of in 1983. It has become a commercial monstrosity of Bono and The Edge. A missed opportunity to give 40 U2 songs a proper and deserved tribute.

I would have chosen an album in the style of the BBC concert. However, that would be too expensive for the record company and would cost the band too much effort to play their own songs well. Unfortunately.

In any case, I'm not very optimistic for a future U2 album, given the path they've taken with SOE.
    But after Zooropa together with SOE my least favorite U2 album, the band managed to surprise me positively with POP.

And yes, I also hope that the whole thing with SOS, Las Vegas, book tour, no Larry, will blow over soon.
  8. For some reason, I keep coming back to Electrical Storm and IGWSHA. But the other 38 haven’t stuck with me
  9. So....7 weeks in and SOS is by far my least listened to new U2 record ever. It is so bloated its irritating. One 14 or 15 song album with the best tracks would have been enjoyable. At least we can make our own play lists....
  10. Add THBAO and this is my experience as well.
  11. Electrical Storm
    Two Hearts Beat as One
    Until the End of the World
    Bad
    The Fly
    Lights of Home
    All I Want is You

The above ones are my top 7 favourite songs right now..... Still love about 14 songs from this album and it would be a perfect acoustic album if U2 would do a 12-14 songs SOS album.
  12. After these weeks I enjoy SOS more than I did at first. I think I will return to it for years to come (at least parts of it) when the mood is right. Current favorites:

Streets
    Out of Control
    Bad
    Wild Horses
    Dirty Day
    Angels
    Sunday

Invisible and Song for Someone are the two that I think sound better than the original releases.