1. Originally posted by u2wanderer1:[..]
    Not really a delay as it hadn’t been announced yet. There was never going to be an announcement of the album until they were sure it can get into stores. I am interested in whether or not anything is digitally released on the original timeframe.

The audiobook on CD is likewise “delayed”. But that one had been announced. But the digital versions will still be released in November.
    That's interesting, although not really surprising given U2's tencendy to re-schedule their releases - even if an official release date hadn't been given yet.

In my opinion, the Songs Of Surrender album only made sense if released at the same time as the book. Anything else doesn't fit and is a disappointment - and I think it will sell much poorer given people's limited attention span nowadays. Releasing a book today is all fine and will get a lot of attention, but by the time you release its "soundtrack" (so to speak) in 3 months people will have moved on and won't be interested anymore.
  2. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    That's interesting, although not really surprising given U2's tencendy to re-schedule their releases - even if an official release date hadn't been given yet.

In my opinion, the Songs Of Surrender album only made sense if released at the same time as the book. Anything else doesn't fit and is a disappointment - and I think it will sell much poorer given people's limited attention span nowadays. Releasing a book today is all fine and will get a lot of attention, but by the time you release its "soundtrack" (so to speak) in 3 months people will have moved on and won't be interested anymore.
    I think you're right. I'd love to listen to those songs while reading the book. Listening to them with a slightly different meaning or twist while you know "more" about the meaning of the songs.

Releasing the album so much delayed after the book release will only make the fans buy it. Fans who would much more appreciate a anniversary POP box set, but didn't get that either.

So, hope Aaron is right and there might be a digital release to accompany the book release.

3. Not sure how you came to that view when he was the most animated and engaged he’s ever been on the JT19 tour. He honestly looked and acted like he was having a lot of fun. He’s always kept a low profile in their time off and notoriously avoids media interviews and fan meet ups; so you can’t judge him by that. To be honest, my guess at who pulls the pin first is Adam. He’s matured beyond the hedonistic lifestyle of a rock star and has (relative to the others) a new wife and child. At 61, I can see him wanting to spend precious time with family rather than undertaking the grind of record, tour, repeat.
  4. Originally posted by JoeHar:[..]
    I think you're right. I'd love to listen to those songs while reading the book. Listening to them with a slightly different meaning or twist while you know "more" about the meaning of the songs.

Releasing the album so much delayed after the book release will only make the fans buy it. Fans who would much more appreciate a anniversary POP box set, but didn't get that either.

So, hope Aaron is right and there might be a digital release to accompany the book release.
    It's Bono's biography and the chapters are called the same as U2 songs. That doesn't necesserily mean that there's any song explanation in the book
  5. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:[..]

Not sure how you came to that view when he was the most animated and engaged he’s ever been on the JT19 tour. He honestly looked and acted like he was having a lot of fun. He’s always kept a low profile in their time off and notoriously avoids media interviews and fan meet ups; so you can’t judge him by that. To be honest, my guess at who pulls the pin first is Adam. He’s matured beyond the hedonistic lifestyle of a rock star and has (relative to the others) a new wife and child. At 61, I can see him wanting to spend precious time with family rather than undertaking the grind of record, tour, repeat.
    I still don’t see any of them retiring until it’s forced upon them. I’m sure Adam will and already does enjoy family time but his daughter turned 5 last month so she’ll be at school this year, I’m guessing his wife still works so I don’t think he’ll fancy being a stay at home dad. At this stage of their career I don’t think the things they do will change, writing music, touring etc, but the pace and volume will be the only thing that changes to suit them more. I still think ultimately they all love writing and playing music.
  6. Originally posted by Zwervervriend:[..]
    It's Bono's biography and the chapters are called the same as U2 songs. That doesn't necesserily mean that there's any song explanation in the book
    It doesn't necesserily mean it. That's true. But as Bono is the songwriter and U2 songs are pretty personal, you can assume there is a reason why he wrote those songs. As the reason he named a chapter of his autobio after a U2 song.

So the songtitle means something to Bono discussing a certain period or event in his life. So there will be more background, or an extra layer to those songs. At least, that's what I'm expecting.
  7. the status update sounded to me as a result of delay in production. (Not being able to get hard copies in stores for the Nov book timeframe - due to supply chain back-ups).
    But the book date is already announced. So it's not like they want to miss out on the Xmas CD sales, but maybe have no choice...
  8. Release it digitally at the same time as the book and make physical copies available to pre order (with an expected shipping date of early 2023)
  9. Originally posted by SJKamal:Release it digitally at the same time as the book and make physical copies available to pre order (with an expected shipping date of early 2023)
    They always planned a later date for the album. It’s just been stretched out a bit.
  10. Originally posted by marik:the status update sounded to me as a result of delay in production. (Not being able to get hard copies in stores for the Nov book timeframe - due to supply chain back-ups).
    But the book date is already announced. So it's not like they want to miss out on the Xmas CD sales, but maybe have no choice...
    There are struggles with the book too. The audiobook in CD format has been delayed. The large print softcover version has also been delayed. I see the Spanish translation now has a release date of December here in Canada, rather than November 4 that it carried before.
  11. I am not convinced that the delay in physical production will really delay the digital release. It doesn't seem to make sense to release the Surrender album much later than the book if the two projects go together. Recently I've seen bands release digitally first and have CDs and/or vinyl available later, sometimes months later. There must be others, but Metric's and Eddie Vedder's most recent albums are examples. If they are smart with pre-order options it might not even cut into their sales much. In order to not lose out on the Holiday gift market, they could prioritize the version that is expected to sell and be gifted most, like a standard single or double CD version, and have it released by early December. Other versions could follow in January.

The other thing I've been thinking about: A band like U2 is slowly but surely turning into a legacy act with so many hits in the back catalog that people come to expect at shows. This has been discussed extensively in this forum. I wonder if the Surrender project might open a door to reshuffling their legacy a little bit. Take Sweetest Thing as an example. If they could successfully repeat something like that with a few really well done re-recordings that actually get some attention and radio play, it might help to put the spotlight on some previously neglected songs from their back catalog and ease the pressure to play to usual warhorses in future tours. I wonder if that's part of their plan.
  12. The rearranging of old songs could also be required because Bono can't sing them in their original form anymore....kind of like the JT17 version of Red Hill Mining Town....damn we are all getting old - or older....