1. So the track count is expected to be at 40?
  2. So is this gonna be a mainly Bono and Edge effort can't imagine the other 2 wanting to be involved in this retro cash grab.
  3. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    So is this gonna be a mainly Bono and Edge effort can't imagine the other 2 wanting to be involved in this retro cash grab.

Edge and Adam spent a lot of time on it I was told. It grew out of a project they were working on.

4. Oh main, that’s a real bummer that Luminous Times isn’t being included. It’s also too bad nothing from Zooropa is being included - I would’ve loved to hear a reworked Lemon. I wonder what song from Pop is on there, but also, it’s probably just Staring at the Sun haha.
  5. Originally posted by Faceman2000:Oh main, that’s a real bummer that Luminous Times isn’t being included. It’s also too bad nothing from Zooropa is being included - I would’ve loved to hear a reworked Lemon. I wonder what song from Pop is on there, but also, it’s probably just Staring at the Sun haha.
    I’m betting Gone or Please
  6. Thanks to @u2wanderer1 + the lads at U2songs.com, we now have some juicy details on what to expect for the SOS tracklisting:

https://www.u2songs.com/discography/u2_songs_of_surrender_album

Trying to figure out which 40 songs make the cut has been on my mind for a while, and this new information brings some clarity. So with U2songs' album/decade breakdowns in mind, here are my predictions:

*denotes songs already announced or revealed in promotion

Boy (3 songs on SOS)
    1. I Will Follow
    2. Out of Control*
    3. Another Time, Another Place*

October (1 song)
    4. October

War (2 songs)
    6. Sunday Bloody Sunday
    7. Two Hearts Beat As One*

The Unforgettable Fire (2 songs)
    8. Pride (In the Name of Love)
    9. Bad*

The Joshua Tree (4 songs)
    10. Where The Streets Have No Name
    11. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    12. With or Without You*
    13. Bullet the Blue Sky (or could be Running to Stand Still...or maaaaaybe One Tree Hill??)

Rattle and Hum (1 song)
    14. Angel of Harlem

Non-Album Singles (1 song)
    15. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock

Achtung Baby (6 songs!)
    16. Even Better Than The Real Thing
    17. One
    18. Until the End of the World
    19. The Fly
    20. Mysterious Ways (but I want Ultraviolet!)
    21. Love Is Blindness

Zooropa (0 songs)
    Sad day...I was hoping for Stay, especially since it's come up as Bono's favorite U2 song in the past...but I guess all of the previously acoustic performances suffice?

Pop (1 song)
    22. Staring at the Sun (I'd be shocked if it's anything else than SATS, but Please would be amazing)

All That You Can't Leave Behind (2 songs)
    23. Beautiful Day*
    24. Walk On

How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (4 songs)
    25. Vertigo*
    26. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
    27. City of Blinding Lights*
    28. All Because of You

No Line On The Horizon (2 songs)
    29. Magnificent
    30. Moment of Surrender (yesssssss )

Songs of Innocence (5 or 6 songs)
    31. The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
    32. Every Breaking Wave
    33. Song for Someone*
    34. Iris (Hold Me Close)*
    35. Cedarwood Road

Songs of Experience (5 or 6 songs)
    36. Lights of Home
    37. Summer of Love
    38. The Little Things That Give You Away (I will RIOT if there are 11 SOI/SOE songs on this complication and Little Things is excluded )
    39. Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way

Non-Album Singles (1 song?)
    40. Your Song Saved My Life (or Ordinary Love??)

Some thoughts:
    -Poor Zooropa and Pop...someone tell the lads those records aren't as bad as they think!
    -I think it's important to think of these song choices in context of the narrative Bono is crafting...i.e. I'm sure we'd all love to hear reworked MOFO, Tomorrow, or Lemon, but Iris will serve as the song to explore the loss of his mother. Same goes for Two Hearts instead of Landlady, etc, Sometimes You Can't Make It instead of Dirty Day, Kite, etc.
    -At first glance, 11 SOI/SOE songs feels like a lot, especially at the expense of other albums. BUT if we look at this through the lens of being a new compilation, it makes sense to pull from the records that have not been featured on a Best Of, or U218 Singles, etc. And again, narratively, it makes sense based on the fact Bono is telling HIS story...through the songs his band wrote.
    -It's my guess that the SOS album will be in chronological order, but Bono's book will not necessarily be? The narrative could be more interesting, in my opinion, as a kaleidoscope of his life.

I'm just excited to be talking about new U2 releases and music! Is it November yet??
  7. Originally posted by jnatzke11:Thanks to @u2wanderer1 + the lads at U2songs.com, we now have some juicy details on what to expect for the SOS tracklisting:

https://www.u2songs.com/discography/u2_songs_of_surrender_album

Trying to figure out which 40 songs make the cut has been on my mind for a while, and this new information brings some clarity. So with U2songs' album/decade breakdowns in mind, here are my predictions:

*denotes songs already announced or revealed in promotion

Boy (3 songs on SOS)
    1. I Will Follow
    2. Out of Control*
    3. Another Time, Another Place*

October (1 song)
    4. October

War (2 songs)
    6. Sunday Bloody Sunday
    7. Two Hearts Beat As One*

The Unforgettable Fire (2 songs)
    8. Pride (In the Name of Love)
    9. Bad*

The Joshua Tree (4 songs)
    10. Where The Streets Have No Name
    11. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    12. With or Without You*
    13. Bullet the Blue Sky (or could be Running to Stand Still...or maaaaaybe One Tree Hill??)

Rattle and Hum (1 song)
    14. Angel of Harlem

Non-Album Singles (1 song)
    15. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock

Achtung Baby (6 songs!)
    16. Even Better Than The Real Thing
    17. One
    18. Until the End of the World
    19. The Fly
    20. Mysterious Ways (but I want Ultraviolet!)
    21. Love Is Blindness

Zooropa (0 songs)
    Sad day...I was hoping for Stay, especially since it's come up as Bono's favorite U2 song in the past...but I guess all of the previously acoustic performances suffice?

Pop (1 song)
    22. Staring at the Sun (I'd be shocked if it's anything else than SATS, but Please would be amazing)

All That You Can't Leave Behind (2 songs)
    23. Beautiful Day*
    24. Walk On

How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (4 songs)
    25. Vertigo*
    26. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
    27. City of Blinding Lights*
    28. All Because of You

No Line On The Horizon (2 songs)
    29. Magnificent
    30. Moment of Surrender (yesssssss )

Songs of Innocence (5 or 6 songs)
    31. The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
    32. Every Breaking Wave
    33. Song for Someone*
    34. Iris (Hold Me Close)*
    35. Cedarwood Road

Songs of Experience (5 or 6 songs)
    36. Lights of Home
    37. Summer of Love
    38. The Little Things That Give You Away (I will RIOT if there are 11 SOI/SOE songs on this complication and Little Things is excluded )
    39. Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way

Non-Album Singles (1 song?)
    40. Your Song Saved My Life (or Ordinary Love??)

Some thoughts:
    -Poor Zooropa and Pop...someone tell the lads those records aren't as bad as they think!
    -I think it's important to think of these song choices in context of the narrative Bono is crafting...i.e. I'm sure we'd all love to hear reworked MOFO, Tomorrow, or Lemon, but Iris will serve as the song to explore the loss of his mother. Same goes for Two Hearts instead of Landlady, etc, Sometimes You Can't Make It instead of Dirty Day, Kite, etc.
    -At first glance, 11 SOI/SOE songs feels like a lot, especially at the expense of other albums. BUT if we look at this through the lens of being a new compilation, it makes sense to pull from the records that have not been featured on a Best Of, or U218 Singles, etc. And again, narratively, it makes sense based on the fact Bono is telling HIS story...through the songs his band wrote.
    -It's my guess that the SOS album will be in chronological order, but Bono's book will not necessarily be? The narrative could be more interesting, in my opinion, as a kaleidoscope of his life.

I'm just excited to be talking about new U2 releases and music! Is it November yet??
    Another Time Another Place is not part of this.
  8. Oof: no Another Time, Another Place...strike 1!

But thanks for the tidbit, @U2wanderer1. I say Electric Co, instead.

And in thinking about it more, not having lead single You're the Best Thing About Me on a defacto Best Of compilation seems off. I vote Best Thing instead of Summer of Love!
  9. Hmmm only two songs from War. So either SBS or NYD (likely) won't make the cut.
    I know they are "played out" to some but no definitive collection can omit either of these two songs.