1. Inevitably, there is a direct comparison with the original pieces of music. But if they're all just acoustic pieces, can I imagine how that's supposed to sound? So, for example, beautiful day or bad? I really have no idea. But you can already guess in which direction it is going. I guess viola, etc., so rather quiet than rocking, etc. And I think when we hear the 40 long pieces that we'll fall asleep.
  2. @u2wanderer1:
    Will Songs of Surrender possibly be released on Black Friday as part of Record Store Day (as an exclusive 4LP set in coloured vinyl :-)), even if this release is not included on the RSD list (top secret;-))? Or at least the lead single?
  3. Oh boy I was hoping for Heartland.
  4. Originally posted by traffic:@u2wanderer1:
    Will Songs of Surrender possibly be released on Black Friday as part of Record Store Day (as an exclusive 4LP set in coloured vinyl :-)), even if this release is not included on the RSD list (top secret;-))? Or at least the lead single?
    Great idea. It may happen that way by intention or not. U2 always love the last week of November in the USA.
  5. If the band listened back their whole catalog they might have re-discored some gems, such as Promenade, Drowning Man, Tomorrow or So Cruel.

Maybe the setlists of the next full shows will be quite interesting.
  6. Originally posted by felix2:Inevitably, there is a direct comparison with the original pieces of music. But if they're all just acoustic pieces, can I imagine how that's supposed to sound? So, for example, beautiful day or bad? I really have no idea. But you can already guess in which direction it is going. I guess viola, etc., so rather quiet than rocking, etc. And I think when we hear the 40 long pieces that we'll fall asleep.
    It's already known it will not be an acousic album
  7. Same here…I guess we can’t rule anything out until the final track list (or Bono’s Table of Contents) is revealed, but judging by the fact it’s mostly well-known songs, Angle of Harlem or All I Want Is You makes sense.

And I think the Ukraine performance by B&E tipped the hat to AOH.
  8. Both of AofH and AIWIY occupy big parts of Bono's imagination (coming to the US, his relationship with his wife) so they are really shoe-in's. Honorable mention: Heartland
  9. Originally posted by miryclay:I disagree. 1000%. The problem with recorded music and FM play is that too much emphasis is placed on the past recorded versions. Songs change and grow and artists like Bob Dylan constantly change keys and instrumentation to reflect this.

I think to re-interpret these songs will place a fresh take on their original meaning. It is not the songs I don't want to hear it is the recorded versions that everyone has been playing for the last 30 to 50 years that I never want to hear again. I am all for this project and hopefully it will be done tastefully with a nod to the past.

It's fine to disagree. I'm upset they wasted time to do this in the studio. They could easily make a live album to tie in with a book or whatever. They could change arrangements on some songs, leave some the same, or put them in a toaster oven for all I care. Doing this in the studio makes little sense to me. Wasting all this time re-writing, re-working, re-recording, etc... They are at an age where expecting more than 3 full length albums before they retire is a bit optimistic. I suppose it could be worse...they could ask Axl Rose for advice, and the next real album would be done by 2050. We've seen them re-record music with mixed results:

Sweetest Thing: Turned out great, but not better than the 1987 version
    Pop Tracks on the singles, and then again on the hits album: turned out ok, but does anybody really listen to them? I admit I listen to the single versions every now and then, but can't remember the last time I put in Best of 1900-30(seems like that long ago).
    Mercy: Not really fair, as the leaked demo was not something they would've had the guts to release, but as much as I like the live version, the original demo had so much of why I love U2 in it. When they get time to tinker with something, it sometimes can go very wrong.

"Party Girl" Or Trash, Girl, And The Pizza Party: This one they nailed live, as the studio version is boring...so a great example of how they once were great at improving a track over time.

Something like 20% of these are re-recordings from SOI and SOE...that makes me think as fans we are SOL. Still, I'll embrace this release, and hope it is better than any of Sting's useless re-recordings. Sting has so many career follies, he makes U2 look perfect. Won't make a Police album, but makes one with a floundering has been like Shaggy? Does a Police Tour as an obvious cash grab, and continues to deal with his writer's block by lackluster cover and re-recordng albums. Finally, he releases a decent album, The Bridge, but his voice is weaker...Bono's is still better and sad he is wasting it on old material. I hope the idiot producer who had Bono use Auto Tune doesn't decide to use one of the most ridiculous trends ever on another U2 album.
  10. Originally posted by pleasegone:Pop Tracks on the singles, and then again on the hits album: turned out ok, but does anybody really listen to them? I admit I listen to the single versions every now and then, but can't remember the last time I put in Best of 1900-30(seems like that long ago).
    For the record, I almost exclusively listen to the single versions and Best of versions of the Pop songs - the one exception being LNoE cuz of the silly voice Edge does in the middle of the song. I find them all to be much more coherent and complete sounding songs than the originals. Same with Sweetest Thing, actually.
  11. Originally posted by Faceman2000:[..]
    For the record, I almost exclusively listen to the single versions and Best of versions of the Pop songs - the one exception being LNoE cuz of the silly voice Edge does in the middle of the song. I find them all to be much more coherent and complete sounding songs than the originals. Same with Sweetest Thing, actually.
    That's cool. I like the new Sweetest Thing, just like the original better. The ones on best of were fine. Pop is my third favorite U2 album, and for 95% of the artists I listen to, Pop would be a career defining achievement. For them it is a failure...due to listening to outside voices too much. Had Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Make The Title Of The Song Longer Me been on it as the first or second single...instead of wasted on Batman, it probably would've helped the album. Same with Miss Sarajevo. Those 2 tracks alone would have helped, I think, anyways. Songs Of Surrender could be a gigantic surprise for me, but I am expecting the worst, hoping for the best. A Megaphone song would be the worst, ha.