1. I say Promenade from UF (tower and all)
  2. Man, another deep cut bites the dust! A tragedy.

I’d say that set of predictions looks pretty accurate.
  3. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    So is this gonna be a mainly Bono and Edge effort can't imagine the other 2 wanting to be involved in this retro cash grab.

Retro Cash Grab? I've made this point billions of times on this site. Yet a lot of people on here are still thinking this is some monumental sales cash cow. If you look at sales for major artists, and want to find the lowest selling album of an artist's career, it is almost always going to be an album of cover songs, or re-recordings of their own songs. Labels love it when they get a hit like Natalie Cole, Rod Stewart, or Michael McDonald, but the vast majority of these projects are big time sales stinkers.

Music sales have been dropping for years, so you have to take that into account, but take a look at the sales figures for the 9 billion or so albums Sting made reworking his songs and Police songs: Sales Nightmare.

Bon Jovi? This Left Feels Wrong? Or was it Right? Terrible album, sold next to nothing.

George Michael? Songs From the 95th Century or whatever? Sold less than any of his 5 solo albums or his 3 solo albums with Wham. (Can't seriously call Wham a group, they were GM albums.)

Rolling Stones? Lowest selling album of their career, and by leaps and bounds:
    Blue & Lonesome, a covers album.

How about Natalie Merchant? Paradise Is There: The New Tigerlily Recordings, was a re-recording of her best selling album. How did that work out? It's her worst selling album.

Counting Crows? Their covers album is actually pretty good, but I'm one of like 10 people who bought it.

With the book tour, and a little hype, Bono might make this sell a little better than it would have, but I am willing to bet a spot on an All You Can Eat Pizza Cruise that this thing is the lowest selling official U2 album of their career, and not just by far, but by leaps, bounds, and will make SOI actual physical sales figures look like Michael Jackson's Thriller.
  4. Shocking that, despite being titled Songs of Surrender, there’s almost zero chance of Surrender being on the album.

It’s also weird how many of the songs are from the last two albums. Yeah, I get thematically it makes sense, but it really looks like they STILL aren’t happy with the versions of the songs they’ve released, after five years developing one album, another two developing the second that was supposedly almost ready to go in 2014, then another year developing them further after Trump won, not to mention a CD of acoustic versions and all the alternate versions of the SoE tracks. It’s time to move on, boys.

Also, while Angel of Harlem was the first track that came to mind for Rattle and Hum for me, after thinking some more I feel AIWIY is a much more likely choice.
  5. I don’t think we will see this.
  6. Originally posted by Faceman2000:Shocking that, despite being titled Songs of Surrender, there’s almost zero chance of Surrender being on the album.

It’s also weird how many of the songs are from the last two albums. Yeah, I get thematically it makes sense, but it really looks like they STILL aren’t happy with the versions of the songs they’ve released, after five years developing one album, another two developing the second that was supposedly almost ready to go in 2014, then another year developing them further after Trump won, not to mention a CD of acoustic versions and all the alternate versions of the SoE tracks. It’s time to move on, boys.

Also, while Angel of Harlem was the first track that came to mind for Rattle and Hum for me, after thinking some more I feel AIWIY is a much more likely choice.
    They did say they wanted songs that could be played in various forms. So if you have that in mind the Songs Of Songs are doing just exactly that.
  7. They should be putting north star and mercy on it
  8. Originally posted by pleasegone:[..]

Retro Cash Grab? I've made this point billions of times on this site. Yet a lot of people on here are still thinking this is some monumental sales cash cow. If you look at sales for major artists, and want to find the lowest selling album of an artist's career, it is almost always going to be an album of cover songs, or re-recordings of their own songs. Labels love it when they get a hit like Natalie Cole, Rod Stewart, or Michael McDonald, but the vast majority of these projects are big time sales stinkers.

Music sales have been dropping for years, so you have to take that into account, but take a look at the sales figures for the 9 billion or so albums Sting made reworking his songs and Police songs: Sales Nightmare.

Bon Jovi? This Left Feels Wrong? Or was it Right? Terrible album, sold next to nothing.

George Michael? Songs From the 95th Century or whatever? Sold less than any of his 5 solo albums or his 3 solo albums with Wham. (Can't seriously call Wham a group, they were GM albums.)

Rolling Stones? Lowest selling album of their career, and by leaps and bounds:
    Blue & Lonesome, a covers album.

How about Natalie Merchant? Paradise Is There: The New Tigerlily Recordings, was a re-recording of her best selling album. How did that work out? It's her worst selling album.

Counting Crows? Their covers album is actually pretty good, but I'm one of like 10 people who bought it.

With the book tour, and a little hype, Bono might make this sell a little better than it would have, but I am willing to bet a spot on an All You Can Eat Pizza Cruise that this thing is the lowest selling official U2 album of their career, and not just by far, but by leaps, bounds, and will make SOI actual physical sales figures look like Michael Jackson's Thriller.
    U2 released SOI exclusively to Apple 🍎 for a reported 100 million they are well aware that physical sales have fallen dramatically over the last ten years ,they'll tie in this release with something else where they make a substantial amount for themselves, SOE was tied in with concert tickets in the US and there were deals done with Amazon and other corporate monsters, I just don't think all 4 of them sat down and agreed to this project as it's a lazy attempt at regaining past glories no doubt some of the reworked songs will be interesting to hear but they should have just left those songs as they are no need to try and reinvent something that is impossible to recreate or improve on.
  9. I disagree. 1000%. The problem with recorded music and FM play is that too much emphasis is placed on the past recorded versions. Songs change and grow and artists like Bob Dylan constantly change keys and instrumentation to reflect this.

I think to re-interpret these songs will place a fresh take on their original meaning. It is not the songs I don't want to hear it is the recorded versions that everyone has been playing for the last 30 to 50 years that I never want to hear again. I am all for this project and hopefully it will be done tastefully with a nod to the past.