1. Originally posted by RUMMY:I can't remember if I have already stated this (in this topic for that matter) but I think the '09 Sheffiled version is outstanding. The Walk On/You'll Never Walk Alone/Streets transition is phenomenal - right up there with Bad/40/Streets from Boston 2001.

Definitely - the recording captures the atmosphere from the night itself beautifully, you can basically hear the crowd jumping up and down as Edge kicks in
  2. Originally posted by WojBhoy:[..]
    Go forward 4 days, and you've got my favourite performance ever (1989-12-30 - Dublin, Ireland - Point Depot). I mean, generally any Lovetown show is worth a shout - the 4th Point Depot show's version is something special, but it's all about the On The Road snippet for me. I mean, yeah, Wembley 1 and Sheffield (2009 both) will always be up there on a personal level, but objectively, I would have LOVED to have been at the PD that night...

Had almost forgotten about that On the Road snippet, oo that is definitely killer

I never ever thought I could listen to 5 notes repeating for hours..

Amen.
  3. Say what you want about ANY live version but the album version is just about the best thing of all time. Ever. Better than water even.
  4. Originally posted by germcevoy:Say what you want about ANY live version but the album version is just about the best thing of all time. Ever. Better than water even.

I disagree. The intro is so much more powerful live. THAT is better than water.
  5. Originally posted by LikeASong:Yes, the album version is perfect in its own way. The live versions are stronger that the album, but they lack something at the same time. I think that shows HOW great this song really is.

6. The guitar takes on too much prominence in live versions. The song actually becomes Edge whereas the album version is all about the band together. The bass and drums together are hypnotic, Edges guitar laying on top of them and then Bono delivering that vocal. Unreal.
  7. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]

The guitar takes on too much prominence in live versions. The song actually becomes Edge whereas the album version is all about the band together. The bass and drums together are hypnotic, Edges guitar laying on top of them and then Bono delivering that vocal. Unreal.

When the organs begin live you just know you're in for one hell of a ride, and you are. The intro live is so powerful, it's not on the studio version.

But any version by U2 of that song is amazing.
  8. Originally posted by Mr_Trek:[..]
    When the organs begin live you just know you're in for one hell of a ride, and you are. The intro live is so powerful, it's not on the studio version.

But any version by U2 of that song is amazing.

The song has been dead live on the last 2 years for me. Perhaps why i'm not so keen on it live any more. The live version will always be as it is. Same with WOWY.
  9. Why did they cut 'beaten and blown by the wind'?

That's my favorite vocal part of any song, ever.
  10. Streets is my favourite song of all time. They have, however, played it at pretty much EVERY show since the late 1980's, so something may have to give sooner or later. Who knows? If the band goes away for a few years at the end of this tour, we'll all be begging for it again, I'm sure.
  11. The best performances were on these tours (not saying the other performances were bad at all):

Joshua Tree Tour- Awesome opener. It's definitely more fast paced than some of today's performances, which is nice. Bono's voice was at it's peak during this era.
    If you listen to the performance on the 1989-12-26 bootleg, the way Bono sings "trampled in dust" is just breathtaking. It makes that performance spectacular. And, also the way he ended the song with "I wanna go there with youuuuu love". Amazing!

ZOOTV Tour- The way "Running to Stand Still" transitioned straight into this song is phenomenal. The shimmer effect also used in some of the intros (take Rotterdam 1992-06-15 for example) played by The Edge just takes my breath away, sending chills down my spine. I also like how they added a sound effect of someone talking over some of the intros on the tour.

PopMart Tour- It's almost like the song suddenly pops up out of nowhere right after "Please". This version has more special effects than the versions on other tours. Both in sound and visuals. There's a sequencer that starts in the background about halfway through the song, and the high pitched drone in the end is great. On the screen, there's this effect as if you're racing through a psychedelic tunnel (comes up about halfway through the song), which give the tune a more electrifying feeling.

12. For me .... Edmonton about a week ago... he was 8 feet away from me!...