1. Originally posted by u2met86I believe Leeds, Mexico City, Sarajevo, Tel Aviv are the "Top of the PopMarts" They are all at least 4-star, perhaps 5-star broadcast or soundboards.

I think Miami is supposed to be great too.

I agree, by the way. My heart is a PopHeart!

How about Sao Paulo 1998-01-31??
  2. Originally posted by MirrorballBoyI can't say it was their best era, but it's way underrated. PopMart was musically awesome, but the show was a bit too big.

totally agree!!!
  3. rmann83- I totally agree with you! U2's catologue represents one transition into another. each record is completely different in their own right and tell a story of "life". It is a story everyone can relate too. With the exception of HTDAAB of course. That is just off the scale and really is a bad attempt of U2 trying to be the best band of all time. Completely ovverated with the exception of Man and A Woman. Ok digressing a bit....So yes from Boy with the inexperience to October, more of a continuation of inexperience however with little light at the end of the tunnel. Not a huge transition from Boy to October but still noticeable and naive. Then from October too War...a young band suddenly grows up and realizes what is happening in the world and realizes they actually have a voice. They took that voice to a completely different level in those years from '83 too about '85. Then unforgettable fire, a band of young boys to adoloscents trying to experiment. Learning about new instruments and cultures and tyring to bridge the gap. Unforgettable Fire is still one of my favorite records. Very looked passed in my opinion. Not that fans say its bad, however people just forget to mention it. I mean Promenade?!?!?!?!?! one of their best songs hands down. The b-sides from that era were also amazing. Very ahead of their time at that point. Anyway, I think you get the picture!

As far as LikeaSong: Your comments are just naive friend. I respect your opinion as your entitled being a try U2 fan and none of us can ever knock you for that, however don't state ANYTHING factual. It is all stricly opinion. Popmart was not a continuation of ZooTV and was never intended to be. It was however continuing the same ethic of bringing out the irony of the world and poking fun at society. That is the only correlation Pop era really has with ZooTV. Just a band ahead of its time. As far as prerecordings, every U2 song with the exception of a few have pre-recorded loops. It is part of what makes them so spiritual live. The strings bring it out. The keyboard at the intro to BAD. The doubled guitar effects, really give them the power they truley need to being "god into the house". It is a mixture of recording and soul. Which in fact, many nights the soul is not in the house. They are a band that runs off of the fans. 100 %. If Bono is not feeling the energy, you can just forget a good, natural show. Instead it is rather forced.....BUT when he feels like energy, it knocks you off your feet. And it it something you have to just expereince live, which im sure you all have. Seeing the band feed off of him every night. POPMART had that energy everynight!!!! Not one tour in my mind had this stigma too it except Popmart. They really put every heart and soul into every show and the nights where it worked was just MAGICAL.

Sarajevo: BULLSHIT his voice is unlistenable. It really shows struggle and emotion...something U2 is all about. That show conveys everything I just talked about in the above passage. Fans save the day!!!! Bono put his heart on his sleeve as did the rest of the band and the audience CARRIED them. It was a beautiful night and a beautiful recording to listen too. I sometimes prefer that show too other shows where Bono's voice is on.

As far as his voice though, it has never sounded better throughout that whole tour. Raspier than ever but also more soothing than ever. The only time is voice has ever sounded close to as good was Elevation!
  4. how different would it have been if Popmart had found it's legs earlier in the tour?
  5. Originally posted by Jcbasketrmann83- I totally agree with you! U2's catologue represents one transition into another. each record is completely different in their own right and tell a story of "life". It is a story everyone can relate too. With the exception of HTDAAB of course. That is just off the scale and really is a bad attempt of U2 trying to be the best band of all time. Completely ovverated with the exception of Man and A Woman. Ok digressing a bit....So yes from Boy with the inexperience to October, more of a continuation of inexperience however with little light at the end of the tunnel. Not a huge transition from Boy to October but still noticeable and naive. Then from October too War...a young band suddenly grows up and realizes what is happening in the world and realizes they actually have a voice. They took that voice to a completely different level in those years from '83 too about '85. Then unforgettable fire, a band of young boys to adoloscents trying to experiment. Learning about new instruments and cultures and tyring to bridge the gap. Unforgettable Fire is still one of my favorite records. Very looked passed in my opinion. Not that fans say its bad, however people just forget to mention it. I mean Promenade?!?!?!?!?! one of their best songs hands down. The b-sides from that era were also amazing. Very ahead of their time at that point. Anyway, I think you get the picture!

As far as LikeaSong: Your comments are just naive friend. I respect your opinion as your entitled being a try U2 fan and none of us can ever knock you for that, however don't state ANYTHING factual. It is all stricly opinion. Popmart was not a continuation of ZooTV and was never intended to be. It was however continuing the same ethic of bringing out the irony of the world and poking fun at society. That is the only correlation Pop era really has with ZooTV. Just a band ahead of its time. As far as prerecordings, every U2 song with the exception of a few have pre-recorded loops. It is part of what makes them so spiritual live. The strings bring it out. The keyboard at the intro to BAD. The doubled guitar effects, really give them the power they truley need to being "god into the house". It is a mixture of recording and soul. Which in fact, many nights the soul is not in the house. They are a band that runs off of the fans. 100 %. If Bono is not feeling the energy, you can just forget a good, natural show. Instead it is rather forced.....BUT when he feels like energy, it knocks you off your feet. And it it something you have to just expereince live, which im sure you all have. Seeing the band feed off of him every night. POPMART had that energy everynight!!!! Not one tour in my mind had this stigma too it except Popmart. They really put every heart and soul into every show and the nights where it worked was just MAGICAL.

Sarajevo: BULLSHIT his voice is unlistenable. It really shows struggle and emotion...something U2 is all about. That show conveys everything I just talked about in the above passage. Fans save the day!!!! Bono put his heart on his sleeve as did the rest of the band and the audience CARRIED them. It was a beautiful night and a beautiful recording to listen too. I sometimes prefer that show too other shows where Bono's voice is on.

As far as his voice though, it has never sounded better throughout that whole tour. Raspier than ever but also more soothing than ever. The only time is voice has ever sounded close to as good was Elevation!

Man, I agree with all you wrote
  6. Originally posted by JcbasketAs far as prerecordings, every U2 song with the exception of a few have pre-recorded loops. It is part of what makes them so spiritual live. The strings bring it out. The keyboard at the intro to BAD. The doubled guitar effects, really give them the power they truley need to being "god into the house". It is a mixture of recording and soul. Which in fact, many nights the soul is not in the house. They are a band that runs off of the fans. 100 %. If Bono is not feeling the energy, you can just forget a good, natural show. Instead it is rather forced.....BUT when he feels like energy, it knocks you off your feet. And it it something you have to just expereince live, which im sure you all have. Seeing the band feed off of him every night. POPMART had that energy everynight!!!! Not one tour in my mind had this stigma too it except Popmart. They really put every heart and soul into every show and the nights where it worked was just MAGICAL.
    I agree, and I know the pre-recorded elements of every song. All the songs have them (except the accoustic versions, etc).

But I only said that PoPMart had MORE samples than the usual amount of them. Although I think our beloved Zoo TV has even more than PoPMart...
    Of course. i love Sarajevo. One of best audiences ever, and also a great spiritual energy because of the recent War, etc etc etc... That concert makes me say

See you!!
  7. i liked the popmart era because i saw two of the shows in Rotterdam ...
    And the first night i saw it from the first ring of the stadium ....
    we where late and the stadium was also half full when we went there ...
    But that doesn't mather me ...
    it was a great evening and a great show .....but not very special !
    but the second night .......it couldn't be better we where in the front row ...
    YEEEHAAAAA !!!!!!
    there is no better place like the front row if you are standing there it gives you a
    very different show than when you are sitting in the first ring ....so for me this
    one of the best shows i saw of u2
    but i agree that bono's voice was not so strong at this tour (For me it was the lovetown tour
    when his voice was at his strongest ) but the show was way much better than the first night .
    i think popmart was great but not very rock and roll ......
  8. Originally posted by emieli think popmart was great but not very rock and roll ......

I think it is a rock and roll as Elevation or Zoo TV. Last night on earth and Gone are maybe their most 'heavy' rock'n roll songs live, too bad I never actually heard them live(I mean being there).

I love all the tours, I can't really say which one is the best. Lovetown(as for the '80s) is just raw rock'n roll, Zoo TV was totally ahead of its time and their best concerts if we talk of show, PopMart is even more ironic and dark, the mood of the songs is almost always sad and bitter, and PopMart is, despite of that stage where everything is huge, much more subtle that Zoo TV. Well, Zoo TV was everything but subtle, it was almost obvious what U2 was trying to tell us, Bono dressing that way, the screens flashing, everything in the show was pretty obvious. But PopMart... it's the perfect mix between exageration and subtleness, no flashing screens, but some rare and annoying cartoons during Last night on earth, no TV channels, but have you noticed that during Gone Bono's face appear 4 times on the screen in the same colours of the Pop cover, and I don't think it's just random , because the same effect appear again on Elevation, with the green, red, blue and yellow lights over one of the members of the band, and it's just the same colour each one have on the album cover.

There are a lot of these stuff, but I rather not bore you with stupid details that n one cares and just say that in terms of irony and hidden messages, PopMart is way better than Zoo TV. But his voice, at least in Mexico which is pretty much all that I listened in this tour, sucks, it's very very weak. If you like that or not it's a matter of taste(I agree that it gives the dramatic and dark mood to the songs, so I like it), but that his voice is screwed up, I think it's almost a fact.
  9. Originally posted by u2met86I believe Leeds, Mexico City, Sarajevo, Tel Aviv are the "Top of the PopMarts" They are all at least 4-star, perhaps 5-star broadcast or soundboards.

I think Miami is supposed to be great too.

I agree, by the way. My heart is a PopHeart!

completely agree with you there.
  10. In the popmart era, U2 had way more balls than they do now. Maybe the next tour will be more avant garde, i know we all hope so.
  11. Originally posted by MacphistflyIn the popmart era, U2 had way more balls than they do now. Maybe the next tour will be more avant garde, i know we all hope so.

Agree. Come on guys, imagine how the show would look like when they're trying to reach the limits again
  12. Originally posted by MirrorballBoy[..]

Agree. Come on guys, imagine how the show would look like when they're trying to reach the limits again

With the war in the world and distortion of the media. Zoo TV is needed more than ever, that aesthetic anyway.