1. Originally posted by vanquish:Nah, Popmart wasn't as good as Zoo TV.

That was the best U2 era.

They didn't manage to pull of the Popmart thing as well as they did with ZooTV.

Pure looking at the shows I love PopMart more tough. ZooTV might have had great performances, but PopMart's stage, show and setlist (as in the songs they played) were definitely better. And PopMart had a more interesting touring schedule...
  2. Popmart

Sorry that didnt add a lot to the discussion. But we all have different opinions. However I am glad I am not the only one who thinks Popmart was the best

3. Originally posted by Risto:Popmart

Sorry that didnt add a lot to the discussion. But we all have different opinions. However I am glad I am not the only one who thinks Popmart was the best

I agree, don't get me wrong i love Zoo TV, but Popmart (along with album) always seemed to have alot more 'go' in it, It was a solid rock concert (despite the loop tracks) unlike Zoo TV which always seemed to be a show, with the egos,TV's and stuff. Zoo TV was great, but Popmart seemed more about the band (and the lemon )
  4. Originally posted by Hans23:[..]

I agree, don't get me wrong i love Zoo TV, but Popmart (along with album) always seemed to have alot more 'go' in it, It was a solid rock concert (despite the loop tracks) unlike Zoo TV which always seemed to be a show, with the egos,TV's and stuff. Zoo TV was great, but Popmart seemed more about the band (and the lemon )

Funny, I always kind of thought the opposite. But to each their own
  5. Pop is a great album. It suffered from the reviews of opening night of Popmart, is my view. Most magazines were giving POP 4 stars and saying how it was a great step forward - just as Achtung Baby and Zooropa were.

Then opening night of Popmart happened, the world press panned the show, noted all of the technical and performance fuckups that night and all of the sudden POP and POPMART were dubbed failures.

Bollocks. Not failures. That might be the presses story at the time but the album and tour were pretty great. The Mexico City DVD shows that the shows were great. The many bootlegs here show that too.

Was POP finished? Yes and no. But the fact is, it IS what it IS. And it IS a pretty great album. Sure they would have liked more time to mix or rearrange song order or maybe dump a song and write another but it is what it is.

The re-mixed/re-recorded Best of Mixes show that they couldn't and didn't really do any better than the POP album mixes, to my ears. And to be revisionists years later... that is like a do over on an exam. It is what it is when you turn in the exam / album.

Was it perfect? No. Was it the disaster some thing? No. I will probably be like Beach Boys PET SOUNDS, which was hated and derided when released and hacked to bits by the press for not sounding Beach Boys enough... Pop too will (should) be reassessed and seen as it it - U2 following their vision of their art and for the most part, doing pretty great at it.

I talked with Bono in 1997 and when he asked what I thought, I told him as much (that it was great and fuck the press). I also told him they proved that they have the balls to take their vision and follow it. And if it sold 10 copies, they still win, they still succeeded in following their own vision and making the record THEY wanted to make - and not merely giving the record company what they probably wanted... which at the time would have probably been JT or AB part two... or a grunge or Oasis record.
  6. Originally posted by MWSAH:[..]

They getting older, i think they just don't have the guts or the will to do such things again. Elevation was a very 'easy' tour with little show-elements if you compare it with Zoo TV. Vertigo was a bit different, but still 'easy'.

Yep, I think too that it has to do with age. It's not about "not having the balls" however: I think it's more something like not needing/wanting to prove themselves all over again, not needing to be those "wild youngsters" anymore.
  7. Originally posted by anstratdubh1979:
    I talked with Bono in 1997 and when he asked what I thought, I told him as much (that it was great and fuck the press). I also told him they proved that they have the balls to take their vision and follow it. And if it sold 10 copies, they still win, they still succeeded in following their own vision and making the record THEY wanted to make - and not merely giving the record company what they probably wanted... which at the time would have probably been JT or AB part two... or a grunge or Oasis record.

I agree with your post, but what did the B-man have to say about your thoughts?

8. I agree with him.

I think the best era was ZooTv.
    The show was fuckin' great...but musically, i think the Zootv was awesome and better, and innovated, for what are doing during the 80'.
  9. Popmart their best era? You must be joking!!!!