1. Originally posted by Macphistfly[..]

With the war in the world and distortion of the media. Zoo TV is needed more than ever, that aesthetic anyway.

AMEN !
  2. Originally posted by MacphistflyIn the popmart era, U2 had way more balls than they do now. Maybe the next tour will be more avant garde, i know we all hope so.

agree 100%
  3. They had way more balls during ZOOTV. With all the risks they took, all the lawsuits they could of had
    against them. Especially with the whole "bomb japan" thing during The Fly. All of the stuff they did
    during ZOOTV was gutsy, edgy (No pun intended), and well, awesome!
    They also had more balls with Zooropa, than with Pop. I still love Popmart, but I think that the ZOOTV, Achtung Baby,
    Zooropa era has to be more of a risky era. I just don't know what was going on during the HTDAAB era. I loved ATYCLB, Elevatin, HTDAAB, and Vertigo, but it just wasn't as good as other eras like Popmart, The Joshua Tree, ZooTV.
  4. yeah i concur, and the past 2 albums haven't been to my taste. Some wonderful things, but just not ballsy enough.
  5. Originally posted by easports43They had way more balls during ZOOTV. With all the risks they took, all the lawsuits they could of had
    against them. Especially with the whole "bomb japan" thing during The Fly. All of the stuff they did
    during ZOOTV was gutsy, edgy (No pun intended), and well, awesome!
    They also had more balls with Zooropa, than with Pop. I still love Popmart, but I think that the ZOOTV, Achtung Baby,
    Zooropa era has to be more of a risky era. I just don't know what was going on during the HTDAAB era. I loved ATYCLB, Elevatin, HTDAAB, and Vertigo, but it just wasn't as good as other eras like Popmart, The Joshua Tree, ZooTV.

They getting older, i think they just don't have the guts or the will to do such things again. Elevation was a very 'easy' tour with little show-elements if you compare it with Zoo TV. Vertigo was a bit different, but still 'easy'.
  6. Originally posted by MWSAH[..]

They getting older, i think they just don't have the guts or the will to do such things again. Elevation was a very 'easy' tour with little show-elements if you compare it with Zoo TV. Vertigo was a bit different, but still 'easy'.

I don't think they lack guts or will and I don't think Elevation or Vertigo tour's were the easy way out. I don't think at all for a minute what many critics have said: that they fell back to familiar ground. What's familiar about Beautiful Day? Or Vertigo? Having guts is walking out onto a stage and trusting your song so much that you don't need to rely on theatrics; the songs drive not just the moment but the energy and enthusiasm.

Their new music is not falling back to old ground and its not taking the easy way out; its bringing ALL their experiences to the song building table; the simple melody of Joshua Tree, the subtly epic Unforgettable Fire, the sonic architecture of Achtung Baby, EVERYTHING. It's all there and its brought together and its not just U2 at their center with 80's sound and not testing the limits with the 90's, its filling every space up; ATYCLB & HTDAAB is U2 complete.

Songs like Miracle Drug, Beautiful Day, Kite, Stuck in a Moment, City of Blinding Lights have intense depth. When you're younger, yeah you appreciate Achtung baby and Pop and Zooropa and all those doubt ridden soul searching songs. I did too. But as you get older, start accepting yourself and applying yourself to the world, songs like Walk On, Kite, Grace, Beautiful day, COBL, SYCMIOYO, Yahweh speak to you more than the classics you thought meant everything.

I love the popmart/zoo tv era but, much like U2, i'm more excited about where they are now and where they're going than where they've been.

Just my humble opinion
  7. Originally posted by rmann83[..]

I don't think they lack guts or will and I don't think Elevation or Vertigo tour's were the easy way out. I don't think at all for a minute what many critics have said: that they fell back to familiar ground. What's familiar about Beautiful Day? Or Vertigo? Having guts is walking out onto a stage and trusting your song so much that you don't need to rely on theatrics; the songs drive not just the moment but the energy and enthusiasm.

Their new music is not falling back to old ground and its not taking the easy way out; its bringing ALL their experiences to the song building table; the simple melody of Joshua Tree, the subtly epic Unforgettable Fire, the sonic architecture of Achtung Baby, EVERYTHING. It's all there and its brought together and its not just U2 at their center with 80's sound and not testing the limits with the 90's, its filling every space up; ATYCLB & HTDAAB is U2 complete.

Songs like Miracle Drug, Beautiful Day, Kite, Stuck in a Moment, City of Blinding Lights have intense depth. When you're younger, yeah you appreciate Achtung baby and Pop and Zooropa and all those doubt ridden soul searching songs. I did too. But as you get older, start accepting yourself and applying yourself to the world, songs like Walk On, Kite, Grace, Beautiful day, COBL, SYCMIOYO, Yahweh speak to you more than the classics you thought meant everything.

I love the popmart/zoo tv era but, much like U2, i'm more excited about where they are now and where they're going than where they've been.

Just my humble opinion

Well spoken..I must partially agree with you.
  8. Originally posted by rmann83 Having guts is walking out onto a stage and trusting your song so much that you don't need to rely on theatrics; the songs drive not just the moment but the energy and enthusiasm.
    God this is the best criticism-sentence I've ever read.
  9. Love to recycle 2 year old topics, but it's a special occasion:

I bought the Popmart DVD today (a bargain for 13 euros)..and the insiders here (especially Harry) know what I'm talking about lol.

Not that I've never seen it, I once *coughed* the audio and watched bits on Youtube. But from this very moment..I have it all.
  10. I love the album and the Tour DVD but the tour for me isnt one of their best due to Bonos voice and the overly repetitive setlist, imo...

PoP is definitely their most underated album

11. PopMart may be underrated indeed. Although it's not my favorite period, it earns more than a lot of people say (not that much in this forum, BTW...which is a good thing).
    The sarcasm and ironic aspects of the tour were things I really digged, but probably scared off others. ZOO TV's sarcasm probably was their limit....

Mexico City is a great performance, but Sarajevo (claimed by the band as one of their most memorable performances ever) doesn't do it for me, unfortunately.

But my favorite tour is Elevation and ZOO TV (I attended ZOO TV, PopMart and Elevation myself) and in one of the earlier posts it is said that Mexico City is very emotion in itself.
    That may be so, but nothing can top Elevation - Slane 2001-09-01.

Speaking of emotion, this one really gives me the chills. That performance is top notch.
  12. Nah, Popmart wasn't as good as Zoo TV.

That was the best U2 era.

They didn't manage to pull of the Popmart thing as well as they did with ZooTV.