1. Originally posted by tchezaopopmart tour have the most cohesive setlist

The most identical to each other! :-)

2. I figured out how to put a high-res photo on U2start....

http://u2start.com/photos/view/7763/Bono-Man/

And I have a short video clip I'll get up as well... My girlfriend's friend is the art director of the museum and organized the Van Beirendonck exhibit. She mentioned that Bono himself plans to visit in the near future, and she'd notify me if he does indeed come in. I might very well get a chance to "run into" him.
  3. I envy you Although I'm not sure that picture(s) belong here that much... Oh anyway
  4. Originally posted by edlomax:[..]

I figured out how to put a high-res photo on U2start....

http://u2start.com/photos/view/7763/Bono-Man/

And I have a short video clip I'll get up as well... My girlfriend's friend is the art director of the museum and organized the Van Beirendonck exhibit. She mentioned that Bono himself plans to visit in the near future, and she'd notify me if he does indeed come in. I might very well get a chance to "run into" him.

hmm...really? Hope he plans a visit when I'm there then
  5. This thread is still around? I thought this was an April Fools thing from a long time ago....posted on the wrong date..
  6. I think Popmart is the best era after Zoo TV Elevation is still good but I don't love the album as much as Pop <3
  7. Originally posted by rmann83:[..]

Songs like Miracle Drug, Beautiful Day, Kite, Stuck in a Moment, City of Blinding Lights have intense depth. When you're younger, yeah you appreciate Achtung baby and Pop and Zooropa and all those doubt ridden soul searching songs. I did too. But as you get older, start accepting yourself and applying yourself to the world, songs like Walk On, Kite, Grace, Beautiful day, COBL, SYCMIOYO, Yahweh speak to you more than the classics you thought meant everything.

I love the popmart/zoo tv era but, much like U2, i'm more excited about where they are now and where they're going than where they've been.

Just my humble opinion

Well, with a screen name like "pleasegone," you know I am big on Pop. I want to agree with your comments, but I can't. I may be more excited about where they are going, but as one of the few fans who was totally into Breathe being an opener, I was caught off guard when they made it a bonus track on the DVD, and shocked that they took it out of the setlist, and even more shocked when Magnificient was taken out. I thought Moment of Surrender was a nice song, but a poor choice as a closer.

By the end of the 360 tour, it was a greatest hits show, proving that Bono's speach about how excited they were about the new songs in the Chicago Veritgo DVD was just a bunch of BS. They should have kept NLOTH, Breathe, Magnificient in the set, and as a Pop fanatic, I was horrified that I'll Go Crazy was turned into a Pop soundalike, when they could've just played Discotheque, Please, or Gone to at least pay proper respect to the Pop album.
  8. Originally posted by rmann83:[..]

I don't think they lack guts or will and I don't think Elevation or Vertigo tour's were the easy way out. I don't think at all for a minute what many critics have said: that they fell back to familiar ground. What's familiar about Beautiful Day? Or Vertigo? Having guts is walking out onto a stage and trusting your song so much that you don't need to rely on theatrics; the songs drive not just the moment but the energy and enthusiasm.

Their new music is not falling back to old ground and its not taking the easy way out; its bringing ALL their experiences to the song building table; the simple melody of Joshua Tree, the subtly epic Unforgettable Fire, the sonic architecture of Achtung Baby, EVERYTHING. It's all there and its brought together and its not just U2 at their center with 80's sound and not testing the limits with the 90's, its filling every space up; ATYCLB & HTDAAB is U2 complete.

Songs like Miracle Drug, Beautiful Day, Kite, Stuck in a Moment, City of Blinding Lights have intense depth. When you're younger, yeah you appreciate Achtung baby and Pop and Zooropa and all those doubt ridden soul searching songs. I did too. But as you get older, start accepting yourself and applying yourself to the world, songs like Walk On, Kite, Grace, Beautiful day, COBL, SYCMIOYO, Yahweh speak to you more than the classics you thought meant everything.

I love the popmart/zoo tv era but, much like U2, i'm more excited about where they are now and where they're going than where they've been.

Just my humble opinion

You raised an interesting point about how we appreciate songs as we get older. However I have to say that in my case, the classics speak more to me now as an adult as they did as a teenager. I never understood 'Lemon' for a long time until I read about it somewhere. One thing I didn't have time for as a teen it's translating metaphors, haha. I am quite interested in where they're going though. Have to take age into consideration somewhat, but if they continue to be creatively driven, who knows what they'll pull off in the future?
  9. Noooooooo! don't even want to read the other posts. I don't get it, pop mart as an album is completely unfinished, its no where near JT or Ab or IMO ATYCLB or HTDAAB, i think it really is purely a European thing(the enjoyment of the alnbum and tour), cause the concert I saw was extremely underwhelming, as are the majority of bootlegs i have heard from the tour. The songs are weak and Bono's voice is nonexistent. The only positive thing i can mention is the realization of the song One during the tour...its as if they fully realized the power of the song and played it much better than Zoo tour, also i do like the reworking of Bullet and Streets, but after that the whole album and tour seems like they took a shot at something but never really had everyone in the bands backing of the effort, much like this recent 360 show, it was only after the first leg of 2009 shows that the band started leaving out some NLOTH tracks and started to put together a great rock show. Though any chance i get to say what a complete waste of the bands energy and the audiences time that the Crazy remix was for each show I must mention it.
  10. just to say where where my tastes lie, I hate remixes, I hate the fact that i read somewhere that Radiohead is putting out a cd of remixes of King of Limbs...BEFORE THEY EVEN TOUR THE SONGS!!!! Sorry, pretty harsh stuff here but i just don't get the appeal of others reworking original creative material of a band that i enjoy...maybe, MAYBE, if Radiohead or U2 wanted to play around with their own songs and release an album of remixes/alternate mixes then i would be interested, but the rest is just a money grab to me.
  11. Its true that you seem to appreciate the tours more as the years pass,i love Zoo TV way more now than i did at the time,same with 360 2009 which is one of my favourite U2 legs.
    Popmart imo is far from being U2's finest hour,sure there were some awesome shows as demonstrated by the number of fine bootlegs we have nowadays but it can't match Zoo,Joshua,Lovetown,Elevation,360 and yes indeed even Vertigo for me.
    Discotheque was and still is a horrible song (my least fav U2 song),HMTMKMKM is also horrible (although i know it has its fans on here).
    Of course songs like Mofo,Please and Last Night were great but Gone WOW! Amazing tune and played even better on Elevation Tour which suited it i feel in those arena's like Madison Square Garden.
    I also love God Will Send His Angels and would've like them to have stuck with it a bit more with the tour.
    So in my eyes Popmart-love it but falls short in comparison to other tours.
  12. Originally posted by kezman:Its true that you seem to appreciate the tours more as the years pass,i love Zoo TV way more now than i did at the time,same with 360 2009 which is one of my favourite U2 legs.
    Popmart imo is far from being U2's finest hour,sure there were some awesome shows as demonstrated by the number of fine bootlegs we have nowadays but it can't match Zoo,Joshua,Lovetown,Elevation,360 and yes indeed even Vertigo for me.
    Discotheque was and still is a horrible song (my least fav U2 song),HMTMKMKM is also horrible (although i know it has its fans on here).
    Of course songs like Mofo,Please and Last Night were great but Gone WOW! Amazing tune and played even better on Elevation Tour which suited it i feel in those arena's like Madison Square Garden.
    I also love God Will Send His Angels and would've like them to have stuck with it a bit more with the tour.
    So in my eyes Popmart-love it but falls short in comparison to other tours.

Just to let you know, I'm among the HMTMKSKM fans, hehe. It's all good though, I agree with Last Night on Earth and Gone being the real highlights. If anything from 'Pop' should be dusted off for the next tour, it should be those two.