1. to me PopMart was their best era - maybe thats just cos i missed the zootv era being too young, but popmart was when i was at the absolute height of U2 obsession and was just loving being a U2 fan as it all happened around me for the first time.

my first EVER gig (U2 or otherwise) was popmart Leeds and i know for a fact i will never be that excited about anything ever again. i've seen U2 a lot of times since and none has come close to that day. when mofo started i swear i nearly passed out through sheer excitement. i will NEVER forget that feeling for the rest of my life!

and now having listened to shitloads of popmart bootlegs i can say, completely unbiased, that Leeds is in the top 3 shows of that whole tour.

if you havn't got it already download it NOW!!!

(i posted a couple of photos from that day in the photos section - i will put a load more up in the future. oh for more of my thoughts on the Leeds show read my review!)

2. Originally posted by ric:
    and now having listened to shitloads of popmart bootlegs i can say, completely unbiased, that Leeds is in the top 3 shows of that whole tour.

In my opinion, Leeds 97 is the greatest U2 bootleg ever. I can't begin to express how much I love that show. Punk energy meeting classic rock songs meeting electro. Perfect performance. And the agressive sound just goes so well with the mood of the concert.

Btw, I now hate you for having been there.

3. i wish i'd known at the time that i was witnessing one of the all time best U2 shows ever! obviously didn't have the internet back then and didn't own any bootlegs and the only shows i had to judge it against were all the official releases (UABRS R&H ZOOTV sydney etc) so i just thought it was a typical U2 show and not a stand out one!

i just feel honoured for that to have been my first ever gig and now it is my official all time favourite U2 live recording too!

4. I went there on opening night, as I am living here in Antwerpen now. As I was looking at all the art-suits on display, I turned to my girlfriend and told her that it all reminded me of U2's Popmart tour... You can imagine the shock when I turned the page of the brochure to see a corner of the layout devoted to U2! There was a large video screen assembly playing Live in Mexico City, with a few outfits on display. I know I have a pic around here somewhere.... (but off to dinner at a friend's house!)
  5. Popmart.... Hm.... I gotta be honest guys, I probably have to think it was a very underrated era, at least here in the States. I went to the show at Franklin Field in Philly, and it was still during the first leg where the guys were trying to flesh out the new stuff properly live. By the time that they got the live versions ready, they were out of the country, haha. But for me, it was my first experience seeing U2 live, and despite the crappy security people telling us to sit down, though obviously that's impossible if we wanted to see the band. You gotta STAND at these things!

But, I think the album and tour are underrated, the themes were a few years ahead of its time for America to comprehend. Now, if it was done today, with all the crap going on...if the guys were given more time to rehearse and flesh out the album the way they wanted...I think the reception would be much warmer here. I really enjoyed the rawness of the album though it also carried an unpolished air. Every track on 'Pop' had its own atmosphere, and that for me really made the CD something I hold dear even after 14 years (really?! That long?)

'Miami'. That's one of the most incredible things I've ever heard, don't know why. It seems so screwed up, but.....it's supposed to be. That song sure as hell would fit in the music scene of 2011. FYI, as far as recommending shows go, I recommend the Edinburgh, Scotland show. The crowd was into EVERYTHING!

I think however that Zoo TV was the best U2 era for me, it was my first taste of U2 and Bono (good lord, he was HOT!!), and Achtung was my first tape (yes, we bought current music on CASSETTES in my day), so it got everything started for me, so I'll always think of that as my great period of discovery.
  6. popmart tour have the most cohesive setlist
  7. I have seen both shows in Rotterdam and i liked it ...first of all the first night was partly broadcasted over Europe so there where a lot more extra lights for the show all arround the stadium ( the next day there where all gone ) ...so it was very spectaculair to see ...I remember before the show started of there was a big rain storm ..i was glad that i was on the first ring with a roof above me . for me also one of the highlights was Miami ..that has such a amazing lightsshow ..at the end 4 huge spotlights where beeming up to the sky into the clouds ....from the first night i don't remember much but the second night i was in the snakepit next to the catwalk straigt before the big Lemon ....we arrived at 10.30 at the stadium and wanted to be in the best place ...It was one big incredibble night ....my wife touched Bono when he was running around the circle between the pit and the first row ....he was running ...stopped and stood two meters right before me ( now i sa how short he is ) it was only before 20 seconds but for me it looks like the time stood still . he was looking around to the crowd. He does something with his shoe laces stood up again and start to run back to the catwalk ...one moment i never forget ...it was for me one big great spectacle ......not the best tour but ...lots of memorys
  8. Originally posted by edlomax[..]

I went there on opening night, as I am living here in Antwerpen now. As I was looking at all the art-suits on display, I turned to my girlfriend and told her that it all reminded me of U2's Popmart tour... You can imagine the shock when I turned the page of the brochure to see a corner of the layout devoted to U2! There was a large video screen assembly playing Live in Mexico City, with a few outfits on display. I know I have a pic around here somewhere.... (but off to dinner at a friend's house!)

I would love some pics. Gonna visit the museum soon.
  9. Originally posted by dieder[..]

I would love some pics. Gonna visit the museum soon.

Hmmm, I must be a bit dumb... Can't find out how to upload high-res pics or videos here (without having them uploaded on another site first). Any guidance please?
  10. Originally posted by edlomax[..]

Hmmm, I must be a bit dumb... Can't find out how to upload high-res pics or videos here (without having them uploaded on another site first). Any guidance please?

just upload them on www.yfrog.com

11. I agree. I still vote for Zoo TV. Then perhaps 360.