1. Superb! Thanks a lot for this!
  2. I wasn't aware there were others versions for the film
    Thanks for the information, sounds interesting

3. Has been on my profile as my favourite lyrics since I joined.
  4. Upon reflection - and although it's not my "favourite" U2 track (that goes to Streets) - I have deemed UTEOTW to be the "coolest" song in the U2 catelogue.

5. I love the Version from Chile 2011-03-25
  6. my best version of this song is in zoo tv era. bono in the end said this is rock and roll ???? was amazing and I love this song with the gibson les paul guitar. just amazing
  7. Originally posted by marcelitto:my best version of this song is in zoo tv era. bono in the end said this is rock and roll ???? was amazing and I love this song with the gibson les paul guitar. just amazing

For sure...love the lead in from "Unchained Melody" on the Sydney DVD - very intense. The extra loud sound coming from Edge sliding down the neck of the guitar...the "Hey, Judas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" had a lot of power...and yes indeed, "Is this rock and roll?" at the end is classic.

This song is definitely rock and roll - timeless, rock and roll.
  8. Liked it on both Zoo and Pop gigs but for me it totally came to life on Elevation with that bursting start they had to the gigs.
  9. The Elevation Tour version of this song comes a close second to the ZooTV version.

Love them both.

10. Elevation Tour was my favorite incarnation surely, right smack at the beginning of the show, and with those killer stadium strobes that just made the place go NUTS.

It's surely one of the highlights of the setlist right now, too.
  11. I'm curious as what happened to the guitar sound during the riff. Compare Elevation Tour (which had the most puncy sound imho) with Vertigo, 360 and current. It lacks a certain punch I think. Maybe because they wanted to sound it more like the album track? That punch is the reason why I love the Slane castle version so much
  12. Originally posted by thefly07:[..]

I agree that it's not exclusively sexual but the sexual imagery is there. This is mentioned in the book, "Into the Heart - the stories behind every U2 song".....I admit I didn't hear or read that imagery into it until I read that, but it's hard to use the term "going down on me" without being sexual; pretty sure in the book it says that Bono was surprised when the author pointed it out so I would never argue that Bono was intentionally trying to bring images of oral sex into the song, but like it or not it's a fair interpretation/observation

Fascinating stuff.

I have always loved this track, even before Achtung Baby came out, in its earlier more joyous and whole lot less dark format from the Hansa sessions (although quite possibly this and some of the other tracks on the Hansa Demos actually originated from STS Studios, Dublin in 1990 which the band then took to Berlin to work on), all before Bono had the imagined catchup conversation between Jesus and Judas idea later on.

It's interesting to note that one of the working titles for the song at this point was 'I Feel Free (69)' - you can hear Edge sing 'Sixty Nine' in the chorus. Also one of Achtung Baby's several working titles was called something like 'Call It 68, and I'll owe you one' if I recall correctly.

So I imagine Bono sounding surprised when the sexual themes were pointed out to him could well be Bono being slightly mischievious and playful.

I think its one of my top 5 U2 songs of all time, studio and live. The version on the i&e tour is epic, especially the protracted ending. I've loved all versions down the years, but I think the theatrical ending of the version on the Elevation tour was pretty spectacular.