1. Originally posted by germcevoyi've been hearing a lot about linux on the technology podcasts I get. Never understood it much. How does it look?

So far I've tried Ubuntu (my favourite), Fedora, Novell SUSE, RedHat, YellowDog (used on the PlayStation3), Knoppix and some little USB distributions. They're all pretty cool to use and easy enough - if you can use Windows or a Mac, you can pick up Linux basics in a few days.

Linux (most) are free to download, share and use and come with all open-source (code is redistributable and modifiable by anyone on apps like Firefox, OpenOffice etc). Remember it's an entire operating system like Windows or Mac, so it's something totally different.
  2. Good night, it's getting late anyway! Do a search for Linux in Wikipedia and read up - interesting.
  3. Originally posted by drewhigginsGood night, it's getting late anyway! Do a search for Linux in Wikipedia and read up - interesting.

Thanks for the info - like Gerard I'd heard a bit but didn't know anything - I'll have a read!!

Good night
  4. cheers Dan. Goodnite drew

5. Ever since the original Oakley Thump was released a few years ago, we've seen the design move closer towards a look that completely integrates their Thump technology into a design that looks just like a pair of your favorite Oakley shades. Split Thump inches closer to that goal with a design that features removable headphones and buttons which are cleverly integrated into the Oakley "O" logo. Split Thump also features MP3/WMA/AAC compatibility, 8 hours of battery life, and will be available in 512MB to 2GB storage sizes. [$250-$400]
  6. Originally posted by drewhiggins

The very best kind of technology - pushing boundaries to create something frivolous and pointless!! Where do I sign up
  7. Originally posted by djrlewis[..]

The very best kind of technology - pushing boundaries to create something frivolous and pointless!! Where do I sign up

Where the massive line of wankers are.
  8. Originally posted by drewhiggins[..]

Where the massive line of wankers are.

LOL
  9. Originally posted by djrlewisI have a tech question.

When you download videos from here (Asso's posts for example) or Spiral's blog, they're nearly all in Avi format. How do I get them so I can watch them (and please bear in mind I'm on a Mac)?

Any help would be great?

vlc player is the best media player on any platform now imo.
    it plays absolutely anything you throw at it.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

10. VLC would play a vinyl. Its so versatile
  11. Originally posted by chrissybaby[..]
    vlc player is the best media player on any platform now imo.
    it plays absolutely anything you throw at it.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

I've got a way to convert the files now; but if this saves conversion it will be great. And it works on Mac!!

Thnaks very much for the link