1. Originally posted by Zwervervriend:Still don't get why U2 SHOULD do something. We don't own the band and they don't owe us anything. Sure i would love it when they release some unreleased old stuff (or new stuff), but i would never demand it.

I read very often that a lot of other bands do something for their fans nowadays, but the only examples i know of are Radiohead,, Metallica and Bruce Springsteen. That's only 3 of the thousands of bands out there.
    I don't think they HAVE to do anything. I just think it would be nice and fitting with their public persona as fan friendly and social activists. I also don't think that wanting more from them is demanding or unreasonable.

And you are way off on the list of bands. The Rolling Stones, Prince, Pink Floyd, Bon Jovi, Genesis, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Dave Matthews (Band),a bunch of bands on the Nugs platform among others are ALL putting stuff up on their official YouTube channels or other streaming platforms either as a "gift" or in a fundraising capacity to help with pandemic crisis and lock-down. Even Guns N' Roses who really hate their fans and will demand any unofficial audio or video be deleted from ANY platform put up some full live tracks from their most recent tour on their YouTube channel which they have never done before. If their management ran U2, this site would not exist other than as a forum, that is how not fan friendly they are. Just because you have only heard of the 3 you mentioned doesn't mean that many other bands aren't doing it also. They are apparently just not bands you follow.

My point was for a band of U2's stature and social reach, it would have been nice if they had done something similar to what other bands did. While they don't owe it to us, it is disappointing that they didn't. Not surprising, but still disappointing.
  2. Just got my shipping confirmation email.
  3. Originally posted by unclejosh:[..]
    I don't think they HAVE to do anything. I just think it would be nice and fitting with their public persona as fan friendly and social activists. I also don't think that wanting more from them is demanding or unreasonable.

And you are way off on the list of bands. The Rolling Stones, Prince, Pink Floyd, Bon Jovi, Genesis, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Dave Matthews (Band),a bunch of bands on the Nugs platform among others are ALL putting stuff up on their official YouTube channels or other streaming platforms either as a "gift" or in a fundraising capacity to help with pandemic crisis and lock-down. Even Guns N' Roses who really hate their fans and will demand any unofficial audio or video be deleted from ANY platform put up some full live tracks from their most recent tour on their YouTube channel which they have never done before. If their management ran U2, this site would not exist other than as a forum, that is how not fan friendly they are. Just because you have only heard of the 3 you mentioned doesn't mean that many other bands aren't doing it also. They are apparently just not bands you follow.

My point was for a band of U2's stature and social reach, it would have been nice if they had done something similar to what other bands did. While they don't owe it to us, it is disappointing that they didn't. Not surprising, but still disappointing.
    they gave 10 million euro. We already got everything we want. I think they made the right choice (at least this time)
  4. Originally posted by Ricku2:[..]
    they gave 10 million euro. We already got everything we want. I think they made the right choice (at least this time)
    We will have to agree to disagree. It is not an either or situation. The reason all those artists did what they did was not only to raise money but also to provide fans with some entertainment since the majority of the world was in lock-down and trapped in their living spaces to help keep spirits up. It wasn't simply to donate money.

And who said we got everything we want? I don't even know what that means. As a fan you should always want more. There can never be enough. Doesn't mean they have to provide it but as a fan wanting more content while trapped in a house 24/7 from your favorite artist is not unreasonable.

U2 initially acknowledged this (at least for subscribers) by starting the streaming of the ZooTV show which was outstanding. It must have been remastered because it blew away the DVD because I compared them back and forth and the stream was visibly better. Great job. They continued with another stream a week later with the Slane 2001 show but that streamed in terrible quality and was worse than the DVD. Then they just stopped completely. So they started something which had some merit despite most subscribers having the material already and they could have at least continued to stream the official DVDs weekly just as a community watch party type thing. Which this very site has continued with a weekly mixlr broadcast and community thread. It is a way for fans to take their mind of being trapped and get some relief from the crap situation going in the world for a brief moment. But U2 couldn't even keep it going for more than 2 weeks not to mention making it subscriber only instead of on their official YouTube channel for everyone to be a part of which is what other artists did. If they were worried about keeping it up, many of the bands made their releases limited time only and after that time it was gone. U2 is my favorite band but they missed an opportunity in my opinion on this. Others may disagree and that is fine.

I love U2 and they are my favorite band. That doesn't mean they are flawless and we as fans cannot offer our feedback on what they do even if it might be critical.

Anyway only 5 more days until mine is delivered. While I wish they had a better version on physical media video wise, I am still happy to get it.

Be safe and well everyone.
  5. it's not just disagreeing, it's the world upside down. Seeing this whole crisis as a missed opportunity? that's crazy. They helped where it was most needed. You guys can point at what other bands did, but it would be more logical if fans of those other groups would point at U2 for what they did. A new U2 album is interesting for many people, just a live release from some show in the past or whatever you are begging for only serves a select group of (often spoilt and selfish) fans. I can see why they don't focus too much on that, certainly now.
    No, they are not flawless and they don't need to be.

6. Mine said UPS as well, but it’s being transferred to a USPS facility where I live.
  7. Originally posted by Ricku2:it's not just disagreeing, it's the world upside down. Seeing this whole crisis as a missed opportunity? that's crazy. They helped where it was most needed. You guys can point at what other bands did, but it would be more logical if fans of those other groups would point at U2 for what they did. A new U2 album is interesting for many people, just a live release from some show in the past or whatever you are begging for only serves a select group of (often spoilt and selfish) fans. I can see why they don't focus too much on that, certainly now.
    No, they are not flawless and they don't need to be.
    How did them donating money (which while laudable and commendable is also literally the laziest and simplest thing for rich people to do. There is a reason the phrase "just throw money at it " exists, look it up) help the multitudes of fans stuck at home with no where to go and are looking for content to help keep some sense of community and from going stir crazy. That is the opportunity I am referring to not their financial assistance to some charities. They can do both with no effort.

As for new material? Again in light of the pandemic who give a crap? That would require the band to actually get together to work on it. That is not needed now at all. Putting out some content archival online for fans to enjoy requires ZERO input from the band, nor does it require any sort of working together. A few employees can do it all remotely with zero risk or really much work at all.

Your argument makes absolutely no sense and has zero relevance to what I originally discussed. I mean look at the numbers of views on some of the content these bands are putting out. Millions of people are watching this stuff which sad to say is more than would be buying any new material the band would put out even if they had some to release which they don't.

So I vehemently disagree with your view. Again they don't owe anyone anything, but they themselves acknowledged what I am referring to and started to stream their live dvds on their site due to the lock-down to provide content. So if the band themselves agreed with my basic premise, I don't know how you could. I just disagree with their execution and feel they are behind their industry peers in this regard.

You clearly don't care about their live content which is cool but I would say you are in the minority among hardcore fans. Without their live shows and reputation and the popularity of their bootlegs and live recordings, they would not be nearly as popular as they are. Same goes for Bruce Springsteen, Metallica, Pearl Jam, etc, the list goes on for almost every major rock act.

I think we have clogged this thread with this nonsense enough and I for one will leave it here. Feel free to respond if you want so you can have the last word. Neither one is going to change the others opinion. Thanks for the debate.

4 more days!
  8. Originally posted by unclejosh:[..]
    How did them donating money (which while laudable and commendable is also literally the laziest and simplest thing for rich people to do. There is a reason the phrase "just throw money at it " exists, look it up) help the multitudes of fans stuck at home with no where to go and are looking for content to help keep some sense of community and from going stir crazy. That is the opportunity I am referring to not their financial assistance to some charities. They can do both with no effort.

As for new material? Again in light of the pandemic who give a crap? That would require the band to actually get together to work on it. That is not needed now at all. Putting out some content archival online for fans to enjoy requires ZERO input from the band, nor does it require any sort of working together. A few employees can do it all remotely with zero risk or really much work at all.

Your argument makes absolutely no sense and has zero relevance to what I originally discussed. I mean look at the numbers of views on some of the content these bands are putting out. Millions of people are watching this stuff which sad to say is more than would be buying any new material the band would put out even if they had some to release which they don't.

So I vehemently disagree with your view. Again they don't owe anyone anything, but they themselves acknowledged what I am referring to and started to stream their live dvds on their site due to the lock-down to provide content. So if the band themselves agreed with my basic premise, I don't know how you could. I just disagree with their execution and feel they are behind their industry peers in this regard.

You clearly don't care about their live content which is cool but I would say you are in the minority among hardcore fans. Without their live shows and reputation and the popularity of their bootlegs and live recordings, they would not be nearly as popular as they are. Same goes for Bruce Springsteen, Metallica, Pearl Jam, etc, the list goes on for almost every major rock act.

I think we have clogged this thread with this nonsense enough and I for one will leave it here. Feel free to respond if you want so you can have the last word. Neither one is going to change the others opinion. Thanks for the debate.

4 more days!
    yeah, I clearly don't care about their live stuff. That's not the only misinterpretation in your post. This way discussing indeed makes no sense. Thanks for wasting my time.
  9. Mine also reportedly making its way “down the yellow brick road to Sydney Australia”.
  10. Originally posted by Ricku2:[..]
    yeah, I clearly don't care about their live stuff. That's not the only misinterpretation in your post. This way discussing indeed makes no sense. Thanks for wasting my time.
    You're welcome? I guess I shouldn't have said it was my last post.

And I do regret my wording of clearly don't care about their live stuff since I don't know you but based on the below, it sounds like you think that wishing U2 had provided some content like their peers are doing to provide comfort to fans in lock-down is selfish and only wanting new material is a sign of a non selfish fan. Maybe it is a language issue.

"A new U2 album is interesting for many people, just a live release from some show in the past or whatever you are begging for only serves a select group of (often spoilt and selfish) fans."

Anyway. Even though I have found your responses rude and unpleasant, I wish you the best and hope you are keeping safe and well in these scary times we find ourselves in.

Cheers.
  11. Got an update on my shipping. Should have it by Monday.
  12. Originally posted by unclejosh:[..]
    You're welcome? I guess I shouldn't have said it was my last post.

And I do regret my wording of clearly don't care about their live stuff since I don't know you but based on the below, it sounds like you think that wishing U2 had provided some content like their peers are doing to provide comfort to fans in lock-down is selfish and only wanting new material is a sign of a non selfish fan. Maybe it is a language issue.

"A new U2 album is interesting for many people, just a live release from some show in the past or whatever you are begging for only serves a select group of (often spoilt and selfish) fans."

Anyway. Even though I have found your responses rude and unpleasant, I wish you the best and hope you are keeping safe and well in these scary times we find ourselves in.

Cheers.
    well, I think what you are saying is pretty rude to U2. Critizising any artist for what they did during this Corona crisis would be rude (unless they did something stupid). I think everything they did should just be seen as a bonus. It's a hard time for artists in general, U2 just had quite a busy 4 years, they were already planning to have a break and I think it's a good thing they kept (mostly) quiet and give room to other artists. At least that's a possible way of looking at it. Sorry if I sounded rude, it's nothing personal, it's just a reaction to the content of your messages. I just think it's weird to talk about this Corona crisis in terms of missed opportunities or whatever, or comparing artists. Comparing artists already is quite difficult, they all have their own policies and ways of working and achieving their success. U2 should go on as long as the Stones, they should play the same length of shows as Bruce, release bootlegs like Pearl Jam, do this like Metallica, do that like Coldplay, have setlist variations like I don't know who.. I think U2 know what they're doing and what they're liking themselves after 40 years. And they are quite unique because of many things the other bands are missing. It's good to have a bit of diversity. Let's give them a break for a while and see what they come up with in maybe 1 or 2 years. And let's not forget about the Berlin release, it's not like we didn't get anything this year and if you needed something from U2 to get you through this lockdown, I think that release was at a pretty good moment.