1. speaking of the long speeches.... this was when ONE was getting kicked off the ground.
    But I believe there's a rumor that Bono was considering first bringing back MacPhisto for this tour (and that Gav Friday talked him out it). So I wonder how his politic-ing for ONE would have co-existed with a MacPhisto appearance. Would they have been combined (like 2018), or seperate...

(Can anyone provide truth to this rumor)
  2. Originally posted by podiumboy:I really liked the setlist variation on the Vertigo tour. I saw 3 shows, and got to hear a lot of random stuff that I didn’t think I’d ever hear. I think the arena version was better than the stadium version, even if it was a bit of an elevation tour rematch. From what I’ve seen and heard, the European leg was pretty bland. Things seemed to get better for the stadium show when they went to Aus/NZ/Japan/Hawaii.

Agree. The band did break out Window in the Skies on the Aus/Nz/Japan/HI leg and the last Hawaii show with Pearl Jam opening and joining U2 for Rockin in the Free World, U2 playing WGRYWH, and Billy Joe Armstrong joining for The Saints Are Coming. What a great tour finale!
  3. Originally posted by podiumboy:I really liked the setlist variation on the Vertigo tour. I saw 3 shows, and got to hear a lot of random stuff that I didn’t think I’d ever hear. I think the arena version was better than the stadium version, even if it was a bit of an elevation tour rematch. From what I’ve seen and heard, the European leg was pretty bland. Things seemed to get better for the stadium show when they went to Aus/NZ/Japan/Hawaii.

I saw four shows outside, and seven inside. Far preferred the outside shows. (Even the stuff on leg 2). I felt the inside shows were just Elevation part two, and didn’t feel it worked as well in the smaller venues. Thought the big screens offered a lot to the songs on this one. Hawaii was my favourite of the tour that I saw though. But the shows in Dublin on the second leg we’re fun as well.

Highlights inside included Arcade Fire onstage with U2 doing Love Will Tear Us Apart, seeing the debut of Fast Cars, and when Pop Muzik snuck back in. They were enjoyable, but just never seemed to reach the spectacle of the outdoor shows for me. Felt like the indoor shows were missing some of the joy of the outdoor ones…
  4. Originally posted by u2wanderer1:[..]

I saw four shows outside, and seven inside. Far preferred the outside shows. (Even the stuff on leg 2). I felt the inside shows were just Elevation part two, and didn’t feel it worked as well in the smaller venues. Thought the big screens offered a lot to the songs on this one. Hawaii was my favourite of the tour that I saw though. But the shows in Dublin on the second leg we’re fun as well.

Highlights inside included Arcade Fire onstage with U2 doing Love Will Tear Us Apart, seeing the debut of Fast Cars, and when Pop Muzik snuck back in. They were enjoyable, but just never seemed to reach the spectacle of the outdoor shows for me. Felt like the indoor shows were missing some of the joy of the outdoor ones…
    I was today years old when I realized that Discotheque Vertigo was preceded by Pop Musik. That’s cool! Really wish they wouldn’t have wussed out on that Pop encore.
  5. One thing to consider, the last leg was sort of an Elevation/Vertigo tour combo for the ROW that had missed out since Popmart. I did not see that leg, I hear it was very good but I do look at it as something apart from Vertigo Tour proper.
  6. Originally posted by beerok:One thing to consider, the last leg was sort of an Elevation/Vertigo tour combo for the ROW that had missed out since Popmart. I did not see that leg, I hear it was very good but I do look at it as something apart from Vertigo Tour proper.
    That’s true. Eventually they whittled down the HTDAAB songs to just Vertigo, City and Sometimes.
  7. Does anybody have link or audio of Vertigo live from Chicago but the Good Morning America version. It was released before the DVD so it had an alternate ending with Bono shouting “HELLO!? IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE!?”

Much prefer that version to the DVD version that was ultimately used and I cannot find it ANYWHERE
  8. I loved this tour too, but I felt at the time they never quite knew how to close the show, song wise. But that helped us by having more tunes to listen to. I can see why in Europe they finished with Vertigo, when it would've been dark visually. Good times.
  9. 40 worked great on the earlier shows.

I also loved the shows where they closed with Bad in the fall.

I didn't see it, but didn't really like the concept of closing again with Vertigo. Kinda cool when it was improvised the first time (I think) but not so much when it became a gimmick.
  10. Originally posted by Release3:Does anybody have link or audio of Vertigo live from Chicago but the Good Morning America version. It was released before the DVD so it had an alternate ending with Bono shouting “HELLO!? IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE!?”

Much prefer that version to the DVD version that was ultimately used and I cannot find it ANYWHERE
    Never heard about that but now I want to find it too lol
  11. I guess that version of Vertigo was not shot on the same day of the one on the DVD but it was broadcasted in Europe to promote the tour.
    I must have the video somewhere but here is the audio in lossy

https://we.tl/t-TdxQVgG7QK

video :

https://we.tl/t-SqR0filtaB
  12. Still hoping a full official DVD or audio of a Europe summer show will be released one day