1. That's a hard toss up for me. Zoo TV was really U2 breaking through the glass roof and just going crazy and enjoying the ride into outer space. Popmart was them having fun in the stratosphere, getting a little dizzy along the way and wondering how to get back down, but having fun nonetheless. Like I said, when I think of Zoo TV i just think of everything going crazy and out of control, in a great way obviously. When you watch Popmart, you get the feeling of just being overwhelmed, even more sensory overload, it was just ridiculous and dizzying.

If I'm on the trajectory of tour evolution, Elevation was definitely them back on the ground and hitting it running. That tour was a process of getting airborne every night and did it ever. I think Vertigo took the same kind of agenda and while it took a while to get off the ground, it really did, however, with Zoo TV, Popmart, and Elevation, I was really transported to another location, everything about the stage designs just really brought you somewhere else. With Vertigo, and all it's strength, I don't really get the feeling of getting airborne, it all seems firmly on the ground.

I think Vertigo was a great tour and among their best, and it really got on fire towards the end, I'm looking forward to U23D to really get a glimpse at the outdoor show to see if I am taken to that "other" location. Apologies for getting slightly off topic
  2. The yanks never got popmart it was to intelligent for them they just like the rawk,popmart was a bigger tour and they played to more people ,it was better than zoo tv and was more polished, eventually
  3. I think we all agree that the *new album* tour of 2009 will become the best ever...
  4. I Can't Help Falling In Love With.... Zoo TV.

Probably best tour ever.
  5. Zoo TV '92 > Popmart

Zoo TV, the best tour ever, revolutionary, has been never topped. Bono's voice in '92 was really good, whole band was full of energy. But it changed in 1993, it had Macphisto, which I love, but Bono's voice was a bit worse, and I think that energy from 92 got lost on Zooropa. And Larry had terrible drum sound, I Can't stand it, I found myself unable to listen to Zoo TV Sydney DVD.
    So Popmart was better than Zooropa, but worse than ZooTV '92.
  6. I may be one of the few here, but I do like PopMart better I think. Minus teh opening Las Vegas show (and actually, almost every performance of Discotheque), the song quality and diversity was not entirely bad. I love ZooTv and AB is my favorite album, but I wasn't too keen on having 5 or 6 AB songs in a row to start each show. Just my two cents.
  7. I think that both tours had their charms. Some people didn't take to PopMart's charms. That's okay, they don't have to do so. Just like some fans didn't to Zoo TV. Sure now that sounds 'odd' but there were plenty of "U2 fans" saying "What The Fuck" when "Achtung Baby" came out and when the Zoo TV tour started. There were plenty crying foul; there were many crying "sell outs". And that is what they did on ZOOTV - sell out every venue!

That said, there were some setlist changes in Zoo TV. Mostly ditching "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" around the time of the Outside Broadcast. Not such a great move, as that was right about the time they released it as a single! And then there were some additions of ZOOROPA album tunes during the ZOOROPA and later parts of the tour.

PopMart had a few changes here and there but like Zoo TV, not many. Most tours since ZOOTV have had setlist A and setlist B. Other than that, there are not too many changes. There might be a change during the 2nd leg of the tour and another change or addition for the 3rd leg of the tour but they hardly change the setlists from night to night, as Dave Matthews does.

Why? They'd say due to the production of the show. And also, they know that most see one show. Fair enough, I suppose. But I also know that tons of us go to many shows. So changing up the set lists can be a great thing.
  8. Its fairly simple . zoo tv was probably their best tour on par with elevation and popmart was possibly their worse . stadium shows in us and europe of zoo tv were awesome . popmart had its moments butt falls short . remember ultra voilet !!! worth a ticket alone . they have to bring it back .
  9. Just out of pure curiousity: How many people here have been to shows of both tours?
  10. Originally posted by yeahJust out of pure curiousity: How many people here have been to shows of both tours?

I made sure to note that I didn't. I'm purely speculating with hindsight on my side. Visually I would have killed to have seen the Popmart stage more than the ZooTV stage but all things considered Zoo is still top trumps for me.
  11. Originally posted by germcevoy[..]

I made sure to note that I didn't. I'm purely speculating with hindsight on my side. Visually I would have killed to have seen the Popmart stage more than the ZooTV stage but all things considered Zoo is still top trumps for me.

No worries, I'm really just curious.
    (I really think that it's hard to judge a show you haven't experienced, but that's another story)
  12. Originally posted by yeah[..]

No worries, I'm really just curious.
    (I really think that it's hard to judge a show you haven't experienced, but that's another story)

I agree 100% and I think that element would fit in nicely with the discussion. You have seen shows from both tours haven't you? I know you are a Pop man but what made it stand above ZooTV for you