1. Originally posted by germcevoy[..]

I agree 100% and I think that element would fit in nicely with the discussion. You have seen shows from both tours haven't you? I know you are a Pop man but what made it stand above ZooTV for you

I've seen one Zooropa show and 3 or 4 Popmart shows if I remember right. I wouldn't really say that Popmart stands above ZooTV in my book, it's rather a close tie. When it comes to stage, show design, setlists, etc, I have no favourite. For me, Macphisto might make the difference, just love that character
  2. Originally posted by yeah[..]

I've seen one Zooropa show and 3 or 4 Popmart shows if I remember right. I wouldn't really say that Popmart stands above ZooTV in my book, it's rather a close tie. When it comes to stage, show design, setlists, etc, I have no favourite. For me, Macphisto might make the difference, just love that character

I thought you were a bigger Pop man than you appear to be. I'm caught in a Popmart phase at the moment, gonna head soon to watch Santiago (did Edmonton last week, not bad at all) then I think i'll give Reggio a go. I've suffered a ZooTV burnout as of late.
  3. Originally posted by germcevoy[..]

I thought you were a bigger Pop man than you appear to be. I'm caught in a Popmart phase at the moment, gonna head soon to watch Santiago (did Edmonton last week, not bad at all) then I think i'll give Reggio a go. I've suffered a ZooTV burnout as of late.

I'm in the same position. I was fully into Achtung Baby and Zoo TV last summer. Now I'm kinda sick of it. Really getting into Pop a lot.
  4. Was fortunate enough to attend shows on both tours and Zooropa just blew me away. Popmart was a huge disappointment. Having said that, listening to the boots over the years Popmart has grown on me and Sarajevo and Santiago have become 2 of my favourites. Popmart did suffer initially from under rehearsal due to the extra time spent on mixing Pop and also suffered as it was always going to be very difficult to get close to the impact that the Zoo tv tour had.
  5. I didn't go to any of those two shows (Zoo Adelaide I would have been five or six) and POPmart never came to Adelaide so obviously like those who were actually there I couldn't tell you what was better. Personally, the technological factor wins over for me. And that would have had to have been ZooTV. A bootleg couldn't do a show justice - when you're there, inside and seeing the show is something amazing and you've actually been there.

These tours were something truly different and something the world had never seen before. The B-stage was invented by U2 during ZooTV and the biggest stage was invented by U2 for POPmart. How many bands would call up George Dubbya, Salman Rushdie or get the mothers who lost their children on stage?

Originally posted by paolom3Also i think Al Gore had less against them then if you know what i mean lmao

ZooTV / POPmart using less energy than the other tours? Right on.
  6. Zoo TV is tough to beat. The most important advantage it has over Popmart, is the album it was supporting. AB is so strong that they were able to open with 6 straight songs from it. How many bands have ever done that considering the wealth of songs in their back catalogue? Not many. However, Popmart was great, and way they reworked old songs (SBS!!!) will always make it for me.
  7. Both are good. Unfortunately I was real little when those tours happened, but based on what I've heard Popmart is my favorite. Still Zoo TV was awesome!!!
  8. Originally posted by theedgeu2:Both are good. Unfortunately I was real little when those tours happened, but based on what I've heard Popmart is my favorite. Still Zoo TV was awesome!!!

ZooTV was better, even if solely judging them on basis of performances, PopMart had too many shows that were stinkers, and was only really good once the band got their act together in later legs.
  9. Overall ZooTV was better, but some of the PopMart shows blow every performance of every tour away. Bono's voice was not that strong, but he gave everything. Unfortunately that was not enough most nights, but the last leg and some shows in the 2nd leg were amazing.
  10. For me is Popmart best tour. Great live performances gave new dimension to studio versions and Please is best live song, they've ever done.
    I was on one show of PopMart tour (Prague), no Zoo show. But Dublin 93 aired live in radio started my U2 fanatism
  11. Hard one...ZooTV had better performances, but PopMart had better songs and a better stage. A tie to me. If PopMart didn't have Mofo, Gone, LNOE, Miami, Please, Discotheque or HMTMKMKM I'd prefer ZooTV...
  12. Originally posted by markp91:Hard one...ZooTV had better performances, but PopMart had better songs and a better stage. A tie to me. If PopMart didn't have Mofo, Gone, LNOE, Miami, Please, Discotheque or HMTMKMKM I'd prefer ZooTV...

So if POPMart didn't have all the Pop songs, ZOO TV would be better?
    I think ZOO TV is better because Bono's voice was better, had he had that voice on POPMart, that would have been the best tour the world had ever seen