1. Hm, a lot of you guys here know me as hypercritical. But I can't see what's wrong with these rereleases. Let's face it, the quality especially on the early recordings isn't the best, so if we can have them remastered, I'm all for it.
    If the albums get the same treatement as JT, the Holy U2 Grail is pretty near.
    I can't see any argument against it. Sell out? That's what people say about the band since Rattle & Hum, I don't feel betrayed, if I get a fantastic album in perfect quality, a selection of B-Sides I can't buy in stores anymore and a Live DVD.
    "Fuck the past-kiss the future"? - better read up the context of this one.
    Taking away too much time from recording the new album? I'm pretty sure Bono's activism delays a new album more than remastering all albums ever could.

Rerelasing the whole back catalogue? Bring it on.
  2. Originally posted by yeahHm, a lot of you guys here know me as hypercritical. But I can't see what's wrong with these rereleases. Let's face it, the quality especially on the early recordings isn't the best, so if we can have them remastered, I'm all for it.
    I can't see any argument against it. Sell out? That's what people say about the band since Rattle & Hum, I don't feel betrayed, if I get a fantastic album in prefect quality, a selection of B-Sides I can't buy in stores anymore and a Live DVD.
    Taking away too much time from recording the new album? I'm pretty sure Bono's activism delays a new album more than remastering all albums ever could.

I couldn't agree more
  3. Originally posted by yeahRerelasing the whole back catalogue? Bring it on.

Up until what album are they re-releasing? Surely not up until Bomb for example? I can understand doing re-working all the older material and I fully welcome it but Achtung, Zoorpa, Leave Behind etc don't need the work do they? I would't say no to a major Pop facelift though
  4. Originally posted by germcevoy[..]

after hearing the marginal improvement in quality of the JT remastered it seems like an awful lot of money for the fan to fork out for not a massive gain. I'll buy them all anyway but without decent bonuses i'll not be too happy about it.

I think the remaster was about perfect. They didnt overdue it but still improved it. Its not meant to be listened to on your computer. I can hear a massive difference when I listen on my hi fi stereo system. Not to mention the bonus discs with it were outstanding. Unreleased demos and a pro shot concert that was never released before. I just dont get what will make some U2 fans happy sometimes. Sometimes I think there are fans that arent happy unless they have something to complain about.

Last time I checked there was no requirement to purchase any of these remasters.
  5. I was just saying what you know you'll hear in my last comment, but it does sound interesting.

As long it can get rid of the distortion-like and reverb effect you hear then I'm more than happy to have it as well as some B-sides, a documentary / concert video and other stuff. I think it's the whole "trying to get more fans" thing, and with Boy it is a pretty popular album (as made on the Vertigo Tour) so I don't see why people wouldn't like it again.
  6. Originally posted by kisho8[..]

I couldn't agree more

i second that ,well said we all want to hold on to the past and keep it ours , man have I been there .
  7. Would we get the same reaction if remastering October (which it looks like) was to happen?

Or Passengers, maybe (how many seriously like that album and cared for it?)

Pop is a pretty easy effort - you can't really improve on Mofo or If You Wear That Velvet Dress. Plus check out your Best of 1990-2000 sets - what's there on that bonus disc? All new mixes...Gone, Discotheque, Staring At The Sun....

Personally, I'd like to see Unreleased and Rare 2 with even more b-sides and demos.
  8. Originally posted by yeahHm, a lot of you guys here know me as hypercritical. But I can't see what's wrong with these rereleases. Let's face it, the quality especially on the early recordings isn't the best, so if we can have them remastered, I'm all for it.
    I can't see any argument against it. Sell out? That's what people say about the band since Rattle & Hum, I don't feel betrayed, if I get a fantastic album in perfect quality, a selection of B-Sides I can't buy in stores anymore and a Live DVD.

Totally agree with you, I think that ´the hole 80´s catallogue will be remaster, and it´s ok,. . also I think this is not just the band decision, is the record company that want to make more profit of this..
  9. I think we'll see at least the whole 80s catalogue, if not up to and including Pop?

As for the fact it'll be Boys 28th anniversary this year, if the band and record company want to re-release it, it seems a little silly to wait another 2 years just to be able to put a '30th anniversary edition' label on the front!

I Like the idea of these remasters, it's like putting out a load of mini Box Sets from each era, rather than just one massive one later on. And also allows them to put out more so each album's fully represented. I am squirming a little at the thought at shelling out for all these, but to be honest I don't care that much!

I would advise pre-ordering off internet sites earlier rather than later though. I got my Deluxe Box Joshua tree for around £8.99 off hmv.co.uk when it first came on the site to pre-order. Several days later the price had shot up to over £20! I've noticed play.com also alter their prices in this way too, as I'm sure most websites do.
  10. Originally posted by yeahHm, a lot of you guys here know me as hypercritical. But I can't see what's wrong with these rereleases. Let's face it, the quality especially on the early recordings isn't the best, so if we can have them remastered, I'm all for it.

i totaly agree!
    i mean you can decide yourself if you want to buy! and if the bonusses are good its a pleasure!!!
  11. Originally posted by Blue_Room[..]

I think the remaster was about perfect. They didnt overdue it but still improved it. Its not meant to be listened to on your computer. I can hear a massive difference when I listen on my hi fi stereo system. Not to mention the bonus discs with it were outstanding. Unreleased demos and a pro shot concert that was never released before. I just dont get what will make some U2 fans happy sometimes. Sometimes I think there are fans that arent happy unless they have something to complain about.

Last time I checked there was no requirement to purchase any of these remasters.

I could definitely hear an improvement on the Joshua Tree, both on my ipod and through my Bose speaker so i'm not doubting the quality. I'm happy with how Boy sounds, thats how I know it (although you won't know if it can sound any better without hearing it first) so paying for it again won't be my happiest move ever but if they give it the full 3 disc box treatment then i'll be at the shop at 9am again. I'll be buying 2 of them to keep one sealed aswell. I'm happy with the remasters but i'd love a rework of Pop before all this. A huge big complete box set would be awesome containing all the albums and b-sides with a few special DVD's chucked in. That would be my cup of tea but we'd all probably complain about that to if it costs £150. Bring it on, let me hear it then i'll know it was worth it.
  12. Originally posted by germcevoy[..]

I could definitely hear an improvement on the Joshua Tree, both on my ipod and through my Bose speaker so i'm not doubting the quality. I'm happy with how Boy sounds, thats how I know it (although you won't know if it can sound any better without hearing it first) so paying for it again won't be my happiest move ever but if they give it the full 3 disc box treatment then i'll be at the shop at 9am again. I'll be buying 2 of them to keep one sealed aswell. I'm happy with the remasters but i'd love a rework of Pop before all this. A huge big complete box set would be awesome containing all the albums and b-sides with a few special DVD's chucked in. That would be my cup of tea but we'd all probably complain about that to if it costs £150. Bring it on, let me hear it then i'll know it was worth it.

Depending on how good the special DVDs are, I'd grab them.

Or if you have a choice of the editions:

Just the CDs by themselves
    Special Edition with bonus disc
    Deluxe Edition with three CDs and three videos

Pop would likely have as a special edition:

The original CD remastered (think the 1990-2000 mixes).
    Bonus CD would have to have Levitate, Odieupussy, Mothership, Hymn To Mr Universe and Big Girls Are Best coming to mind.
    A DVD would have to be either Edmonton, Sarajevo, Santiago or Johannesburg.