1. I'd buy it no matter what.My favourite U2 album by a million miles,I love it pure and simple.The only studio album I've ever put on whatever iPods I've had.

What about a remastered proshot of "Boy Belfast" from the University,plus The Old Grey Whistle Test performance..........? Yer never know........
  2. the stones remasterd also all there albums before five years ago ???
    so wats the point ???
    you don't have to buy it ....and if you seriously want it you can wait before
    a half year or so and then it'goes for sales prices away .....
    i do not no if i ám gonna buy these albums again but for me the joshua tree
    is much better now after they remasterd it ....
  3. Depending upon the special DVD's? I didn't see anything about special DVD's for the reissues. It'd be cool. But I didn't see anything about that, other than Under A Blood Red Sky having the Red Rocks DVD.

I have only heard of there being (2) CD special editions.
  4. Most U2-fans buy whatever is released...
  5. Alright, we all are craving for the UABRS DVD, I agree. It would be great.

But, apparently, the Boy release makes no sense. I guess it's about the Vertigo Tour, where many Boy songs were brought up on the last tour (The Electric Co, An Cat Dubh-Into The Heart, Out Of Countro and The Ocean). Even though, it still making no sense to me 28 years is not a remarkable date. Guys, better wait to 2010. That IS remarkable.
  6. Originally posted by germcevoy[..]

I could definitely hear an improvement on the Joshua Tree, both on my ipod and through my Bose speaker so i'm not doubting the quality. I'm happy with how Boy sounds, thats how I know it (although you won't know if it can sound any better without hearing it first) so paying for it again won't be my happiest move ever but if they give it the full 3 disc box treatment then i'll be at the shop at 9am again. I'll be buying 2 of them to keep one sealed aswell. I'm happy with the remasters but i'd love a rework of Pop before all this. A huge big complete box set would be awesome containing all the albums and b-sides with a few special DVD's chucked in. That would be my cup of tea but we'd all probably complain about that to if it costs £150. Bring it on, let me hear it then i'll know it was worth it.

Personally, I think anything that was originally recorded in analog needs to be remastered in some form at this point. So that would mean all albums up to Achtung Baby at least (I don't remember if Zooropa was recorded in Analog or not?). I just hate it when something gets released and people accuse U2 of selling out. Its the same old tiring argument that always gets thrown out there. I wasnt really directing it at you either, just in general. U2 are a business, they make money off of what they do. Its their job, and for fans to accuse them of selling out at every turn just gets old. They have people that work for them that rely on them for the income also. So its not just about U2 raking it in. Even if it were, I think they deserve it. I think about the joy their music and concerts have brought to my life and I think they are worth every penny.

I agree, the bonus disc(s) need to have cool material on them for it to make it worth the money of a box set. If they give Boy the same treatment they gave Joshua Tree I will be very happy with it. IE, early demos (would be good to have the remastered early demos on CD) and a pro shot of a Boy show.

I dont think it all has to be tied to a specific anniversary either. Maybe Achtung Baby, because it was the "other" big U2 album. But the other albums can just be released whenever IMO. October probably needs remastering the most, but probably has the least bonus material to add. Not many demos from that era as they used just about everything they had at the time on that album.

7. Originally posted by Blue_RoomPersonally, I think anything that was originally recorded in analog needs to be remastered in some form at this point.
    Completely agree w/ you
  8. Originally posted by Blue_Room[..]

I just hate it when something gets released and people accuse U2 of selling out. Its the same old tiring argument that always gets thrown out there. I wasnt really directing it at you either, just in general. U2 are a business, they make money off of what they do. Its their job, and for fans to accuse them of selling out at every turn just gets old. They have people that work for them that rely on them for the income also. So its not just about U2 raking it in. Even if it were, I think they deserve it. I think about the joy their music and concerts have brought to my life and I think they are worth every penny.

I find the term 'selling out' being thrown about a lot at bands. Particularly the music scene having seen a number of reunion tours in the past years. I feel a majority of people seem to forget that musicians and bands, like everyone else, need to earn a living too however. The Sex Pistols were quite open about this fact on their recent reunion tour. The Spice Girls tried to hide this fact in interviews with various other reasons, but the facts remain simple that it's for more income. Which to me is perfectly acceptable. Even if they did stand to make a huge amount of money from it, rather than a smaller more tangible amount! If anyone disagrees with it, then there's nothing saying you have to shell out!

I think any other band would be in danger of saturating their market with such a number of releases in a small number of years. But in U2s case I don't think that's ever going to be a problem!

So, whilst Bono and the lads all probably have enough money for them and all of their children to never work again in their lifetimes, the fact is they all love their job which is making music, and putting work into things like these re-releases.

The work that went into Joshua Tree re-release was superb, as were both the Sydney and Pop Mart dvds. If these reissues are a disappoinment or rushed, I think the term 'cash in' would be more appropriate.

I guess time will tell really!
  9. Originally posted by thefly07what happened to "fuck the past, kiss the future"?

"We glorify the past, when the future dries up" - God Part II

I hope the future hasn't dried up.
  10. Originally posted by iTim[..]

"We glorify the past, when the future dries up" - God Part II

I hope the future hasn't dried up.

I certainly hope so too. However, upon delving into these early albums again, and U2 in general, I'm feeling quite excited about, the U2 nerd inside me is back! Maybe it's, "celebrate the past, kiss the future"? I'm hoping that with the spotlight on their early catalogue, the band will just kick even harder in terms of making something brand new with their music, I hope they are "just getting started". God, I hope so.
  11. Originally posted by Blue_Room[..]

Personally, I think anything that was originally recorded in analog needs to be remastered in some form at this point. So that would mean all albums up to Achtung Baby at least (I don't remember if Zooropa was recorded in Analog or not?). I just hate it when something gets released and people accuse U2 of selling out. Its the same old tiring argument that always gets thrown out there. I wasnt really directing it at you either, just in general. U2 are a business, they make money off of what they do. Its their job, and for fans to accuse them of selling out at every turn just gets old. They have people that work for them that rely on them for the income also. So its not just about U2 raking it in. Even if it were, I think they deserve it. I think about the joy their music and concerts have brought to my life and I think they are worth every penny.

I agree, the bonus disc(s) need to have cool material on them for it to make it worth the money of a box set. If they give Boy the same treatment they gave Joshua Tree I will be very happy with it. IE, early demos (would be good to have the remastered early demos on CD) and a pro shot of a Boy show.

I dont think it all has to be tied to a specific anniversary either. Maybe Achtung Baby, because it was the "other" big U2 album. But the other albums can just be released whenever IMO. October probably needs remastering the most, but probably has the least bonus material to add. Not many demos from that era as they used just about everything they had at the time on that album.

Sorry to quote the whole thing bit I don't know how to delete it on my iPod...

Just to say I agree with every word.

12. Originally posted by drewhiggins[..]

Depending on how good the special DVDs are, I'd grab them.

Or if you have a choice of the editions:

Just the CDs by themselves
    Special Edition with bonus disc
    Deluxe Edition with three CDs and three videos

Pop would likely have as a special edition:

The original CD remastered (think the 1990-2000 mixes).
    Bonus CD would have to have Levitate, Odieupussy, Mothership, Hymn To Mr Universe and Big Girls Are Best coming to mind.
    A DVD would have to be either Edmonton, Sarajevo, Santiago or Johannesburg.

I'd buy the remastered/re-released albums if and only if they contain bonus tracks I don't have (I've never even heard of Odieupussy, Mothership, Hymn To Mr Universe). I honestly don't have the money to shell out for album I've already got, regardless of how much better they might sound. But I've got absolutely nothing against them re-releasing the albums--I agree with Blue_Room, I don't think they're selling out at all. Like Bono constantly says, all they want to do is introduce a new generation to U2 music. They're intelligent businessmen--they know how to use what's out there and what's popular (i.e. iPods) to reach a new audience. And that's exactly why their fan base is so broad--they utilize every available resource to reach everyone they can.