1. Originally posted by yeah[..]

I wouldn't call Elevation or the Bomb fresh or relevant. Also the respective tours were kind of a Best of...

I can't believe that I defend the Stones here...

Good discussion..
    We're not attacking The Stones, we're defending U2 (you can expect that, very logic too). Elevation and Vertigo weren't that fresh indeed, they both were quite similar to each other, but the performances were top notch though. Zooropa wasn't refreshing either after Achtung Baby, it was more of the same. Elevation was something completely different than Pop. U2 changed their direction several times in their career, and they will continue doing that, I'm sure.
  2. Originally posted by germcevoy[..]

did they not sell less tickets for the Big Bang tour than the Vertigo Tour? Less shows etc?

147 shows for the Stones; 131 for U2.

I have no idea about the number of tickets each band sold...
  3. Originally posted by yeah[..]

147 shows for the Stones; 131 for U2.

I have no idea about the number of tickets each band sold...

roughly 4.6 million for Vertigo and 3.5 million for a bigger bang. Prices must come into the overall gross figures
  4. Originally posted by yeah[..]

I wouldn't call Elevation/ ATYCLB or Vertigo/ the Bomb fresh or relevant. Also the respective tours were kind of a Best of...

I can't believe that I defend the Stones here...

I do believe U2 is very relevant today. Sure they haven't broken any new ground since Pop but I for one believe this band is hungry and can't wait to see what comes next.

5. Originally posted by yeah[..]

Got any details? I always thought that the "best" place were very expensive, but the rest about average. Maybe I'm wrong there...

My friend loves Stones, she saw their last tour
    And said they charge expensiver then other bands
    Besides if they toured more as well, then their no surprise they made the most money right?
    Thats logic isnt it?

6. ---double post---

edit by Gerard

7. Originally posted by MWSAH[..]

U2 changed their direction several times in their career, and they will continue doing that, I'm sure.

That's exactly what I doubt.
    They had some great innovative albums (Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop) but then took a step back. ATYCLB and the Bomb sound more or less like 80's U2. And I personally don't expect a major change to come with Bono giving priority to his political life, Larry's discomfort about electronic music and the boys getting older in general.

It's not wrong to stay on their base and to keep on the style that brought them success, it's just not what I am looking for, so I'd prefer them to rather quit than releasing 3 more bombs.
  8. Originally posted by Xayide29[..]

Besides if they toured more as well, then their no surprise they made the most money right?
    Thats logic isnt it?

If 16 shows make a difference of 150 million $...

9. Originally posted by yeah[..]
    It's not wrong to stay on their base and to keep on the style that brought them success, it's just not what I am looking for, so I'd prefer them to rather quit than releasing 3 more bombs.

remain positive, stay optimistic and listen listen to Pop. I'm of the same mindset with you though. I'll be brutally fed up with the boys should they release another album that sounds remotely like anything from the previous 2 albums. I don't particularly dislike the previous 2 albums but the fact that I haven't listened to either clean through in over a year and a half means something. . . The ability for U2 to funk it up must still be within them. Hopefully they push themselves
  10. Originally posted by yeah[..]

That's exactly what I doubt.
    They had some great innovative albums (Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop) but then took a step back. ATYCLB and the Bomb sound more or less like 80's U2. And I personally don't expect a major change to come with Bono giving priority to his political life, Larry's discomfort about electronic music and the boys getting older in general.

I can understand, but I love them too much to seeing them quit already. And I don't think they will release some more 'Bombs'. That's not U2-ish..Elevation and Vertigo were indeed a bit based on U2s 80's. Therefore I think they will change their direction again. But we'll see later this year...Might be one of the most important albums or U2.
  11. Originally posted by MWSAH[..]

I can understand, but I love them too much to seeing them quit already. And I don't think they will release some more 'Bombs'. That's not U2-ish..Elevation and Vertigo were indeed a bit based on U2s 80's. Therefore I think they will change their direction again. But we'll see later this year...Might be the one of the most important albums or U2.

Thank u! Finally someone that can be a bit positive
    Shudnt say anything until we heard it

12. Originally posted by germcevoy[..]

remain positive, stay optimistic and listen listen to Pop.

That's what I did over the last years. It's just hard to stay optimistic when you listen to all the stuff that was written and released after the bomb... and Bono's comments about the new album.

Well, all this is abstract banter anyway. What's gonna happen is that I'll throw all my intentions over board and go to at least 3 shows of the next tour, no matter if I like the new album or not. Same story as on Elevation and Vertigo.