1. A nice mellow performance.
  2. Glad to hear Walk On again. I think in the second half Bono became more comfortable.
  3. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:[..]
    I think you misunderstood what Bono said. He was making a generalisation about why celebrities make the public aware of donations and saying it's invariably done for self-promotion. He then mentioned some heated debate within the band about disclosing their PPE donation lest it be perceived as a case of self-promotion. I took him as saying the need to show and encourage support outweighed the risk of it being seen as gratuitous self-promotion. Perhaps Edge was in the "say nothing" camp.

Plenty of criticism in Ireland.
  4. They would have also been criticised for not donating, (even if that wasn’t true) had they not made it public. It’s the lose lose scenario they find themselves in. I bet if the band went up to an individual and gave them a million pounds they would think Bono and the rest of them were the best thing going. People are twisted with there views and opinions. The band made a significant contribution that actually made a difference, I’m sure if you ask the health workers who had been desperate for PPE they would tell you that, imagine the feeling walking into work that day finally getting the protection they deserve. That outweighs all the big mouths with too much to say on social media, voicing there opinion likely being the only contribution they’ve made during the pandemic.
  5. Ppl of Ireland...If someone gives you PPE during a pandemic just take it and stfu.
  6. Have the audio sorted from last night if anybody wants it
  7. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    They would have also been criticised for not donating, (even if that wasn’t true) had they not made it public. It’s the lose lose scenario they find themselves in. I bet if the band went up to an individual and gave them a million pounds they would think Bono and the rest of them were the best thing going. People are twisted with there views and opinions. The band made a significant contribution that actually made a difference, I’m sure if you ask the health workers who had been desperate for PPE they would tell you that, imagine the feeling walking into work that day finally getting the protection they deserve. That outweighs all the big mouths with too much to say on social media, voicing there opinion likely being the only contribution they’ve made during the pandemic.
    It's not just U2 that suffer the spiteful and nasty comments in Ireland anyone with money or that is successful and has an opinion is basically lined up in front of a firing squad by the deadbeat trolls on social media.
  8. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    It's not just U2 that suffer the spiteful and nasty comments in Ireland anyone with money or that is successful and has an opinion is basically lined up in front of a firing squad by the deadbeat trolls on social media.
    It seems to be a horrible habit that exists in a lot of parts of the world unfortunately and social media is just the worst of the worst when it comes to the things that get said. I know you’re from Ireland or you live there at least but I’m not and for the most part the Irish people I have met have been very friendly and I’ve got on well with them so I don’t want to make it a generalisation about Irish people but it’s a bit different for you popmarter if you’re talking about personal experiences. I live in scotland and have came across similar views and comments as well like the spiteful and nasty ones you mentioned.
  9. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    It seems to be a horrible habit that exists in a lot of parts of the world unfortunately and social media is just the worst of the worst when it comes to the things that get said. I know you’re from Ireland or you live there at least but I’m not and for the most part the Irish people I have met have been very friendly and I’ve got on well with them so I don’t want to make it a generalisation about Irish people but it’s a bit different for you popmarter if you’re talking about personal experiences. I live in scotland and have came across similar views and comments as well like the spiteful and nasty ones you mentioned.
    Bang on the money,bar social media,for The Beatles in the 1970’s in Liverpool.People here literally disowned them,turned their back on them and shunned them.It seems to me that the national sport in the Republic of Ireland is to hate U2/Bono.
  10. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    All the idiots are out on Twitter having a go at Bono, just as well the band don’t do things based on the feedback they get otherwise they would have gave fuck all PPE to help the cause because some people are so ungrateful. Probably not the actual health care workers, I read at least one of them saying how grateful they were. Some people though it’s any reason to criticise the band or more so Bono.

Dude and why do you think it is that they are sledgehammered with crit these days? It’s because of the dumb things they have said or been in control off , bad managerial BS Bono’s ‘save the world‘ doctrine or not , they sign off on every last thing they do or say! It didn’t just suddenly become a favourite past time to hate on U2 , they caused the hate with dumb ideas ( Apple 🍎 anyone ? ) they thought would be accepted widely , well things like that were about as acceptable at a bad case of Thrush!
  11. As an Irish person living in Ireland there’s a lot of hatred for U2. They’re marmite. The perception around their tax affairs adds to that but as a nation we don’t like perceived bullshitters and unfortunately Bono gave the haters lots of ammunition.

I liked the version of walk on, but the interview was a bit of a car crash. The Edge was very uncomfortable with Bono’s insecurities (not liking his voice) and it turned into a conversation about Bono and being Bono. It thought it wasn’t his best interview, and the PPE donation was lost in all of this despite it being a significant gesture to the greater good of the country.

Remember this show was a fundraiser for homelessness which U2 have contributed significantly publicity through the busk every Xmas, and I’ve no doubt they do privately also. But the majority of the interview turned into a discussion about Bono thus came across as ill judged given the plight of homelessness in Ireland. He seemed nervous in the performance of Walk On and especially in the interview, which may explain the ramblings we heard. After all these years U2 are still nervous in front of an Irish audience. Tough crowd.

As one of the my extended family commented on another platform, this is what happens when you head is so far up your own arse! An insight into the Irish physche!