1. Originally posted by Bloodraven:[..]

listening to an old album without the nostalgia factor... good for you.

Still think this is their best album and that Elvis And America is one of their best tracks ever despite what iTim says
    Give it a few more listenings mate, Promenade, TUF and Bad are some of their best.

But I agree to an extent about Sort of Homecoming... there's 14 albums, I think ASOH is a better opener only than The Miracle. I don't dislike the song, I've been appreciating it a lot more in the last few months, but it still sounds to me like every band member was playing the song without listening to one another.

Anyway, I really think that if U2 released TUF this year for the first time, it would get similar reviews than Jimmy's. Also, that's why I do believe that SOI and SOE (or any post-2000 album) are better than many people tend to think.

---
    also, 40 is from War, not TUF
    I agree totally. Someone must have cloth ears. Elvis Presley And America is an absolute blinder of a song. If anyone can't hear the emotion inside that song I suggest they keep on pretending to like U2.
  2. Originally posted by ELIZIUM:[..]
    I agree totally. Someone must have cloth ears. Elvis Presley And America is an absolute blinder of a song. If anyone can't hear the emotion inside that song I suggest they keep on pretending to like U2.
    Emotion alone doesn’t make a song good.
  3. Originally posted by iTim:October is quite solid in comparison. Have to disagree with that favourable review of Elvis Presley and America though. What an awful track.

Totally disagree with you regarding Elvis Presley And America being an awful track whoever you are! That song alone stands way above a lot of mediocre stuff they have put out since 2001. Towers well above most of it.
  4. Originally posted by JimmyMac91:[..]

Not a newer fan per se...they've always hovered around my favourites, but never took the time to get to know the entire catalogue, and for some reason missed sections of said catalogue. JT, AB and Atomic Bomb I know inside and out and experienced them when they were released. I've seen them live three times...JT 87, Vertigo 2005 and JT 2017. I will be going to Montreal next month to see both shows. Anyways I got bit by the vinyl bug around Christmas time and went stupid and bought a quality turntable and sound system. Three weeks ago I bought SOE on vinyl, after definitely liking it via Apple. On my hi-fi it absolutely blew me away on vinyl, and it felt like listening to JT all over again for the first time. I was immediately hooked. Got GA's for both Montreal shows immediately, then found this place and it's all I have pretty much listened to for a month straight. So I'm catching up buying the vinyl for the entire catalogue. Short of No Line, Boy and October I've picked it all up on vinyl. The best part of it all is that other than the hits, it is all new to me. And I get that sometimes you have to hear stuff more than once, but I knew the first time I heard No Line, I knew within 30 seconds that this is what all opening songs should sound like, this one on UF was not that song. So the reason I'm basically writing these reviews is for myself, so I know what songs I want to listen to over and over again, and which ones I don't.

And in the most long winded answer ever, I knew Pride, 40 and UF from this album, and I'm pretty sure everything else was me hearing them for the first time ever yesterday afternoon.
    Wow, you're definitely a rara avis having attended 3 gigs in 3 different decades but still not knowing many of their songs. Keep those reviews coming, as it's definitely refreshing to see what a relatively-newcomer thinks of the albums that we've been listening in deep for decades.

For convenience:

Boy
    October
    War
    Joshua Tree
    Rattle and Hum
    Achtung Baby
    Zooropa
    Pop
    All That You Can't Leave Behind
    How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
    No Line On The Horizon
    Songs of Innocence

And well, welcome to the forum
  5. Yes I agree with that. There are some that seem to be full of it but go nowhere. The song is basically A Sort Of Homecoming slowed down with Bono just howling the howl and was caught on tape thankfully.
  6. When I listen to Elvis Presley and America, to me it sounds like if they had said "you know that awesome Edge's chiming guitar sound effect in Bad, like if there were a thousand birds singing at the same time? yes? well, let's do that again, but now using drums instead of a guitar."

The drumming in EPAA makes me feel the same way Edge's guitar makes me feel in Bad.
  7. Originally posted by Bloodraven:When I listen to Elvis Presley and America, to me it sounds like if they had said "you know that awesome Edge's chiming guitar sound effect in Bad, like if there were a thousand birds singing at the same time? yes? well, let's do that again, but now using drums instead of a guitar."

The drumming in EPAA makes me feel the same way Edge's guitar makes me feel in Bad.
    The drumming is A Sort Of Homecoming slowed down from the master tape.
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Wow, you're definitely a rara avis having attended 3 gigs in 3 different decades but still not knowing many of their songs. Keep those reviews coming, as it's definitely refreshing to see what a relatively-newcomer thinks of the albums that we've been listening in deep for decades.

For convenience:

Boy
    October
    War
    Joshua Tree
    Rattle and Hum
    Achtung Baby
    Zooropa
    Pop
    All That You Can't Leave Behind
    How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
    No Line On The Horizon
    Songs of Innocence

And well, welcome to the forum
    Thank you...I will do so. I’ll find the appropriate thread already started for each album, and bump it to the top, and then the bashing can begin

I did my Achtung on Sunday when I picked up the vinyl on Sunday but that one was easy peasy. Only two clunkers on that one. I’ll post it when I get to my iPad later this evening.
  9. I’m not in agreement but that’s what’s great about u2 so many songs and different sounds we’ve got something to disagree about.