1. ^Those four tracks are definitely the "Mt Rushmore" of the album. It'd be great to get an official live release that includes all of them.
  2. Originally posted by bushido529:I listened to TUF (song) 10 times in a row today, It's my favorite song ever. What's your favorite track off the record? Indian Summer Sky is a song that should've been played more often. I feel like that song could fit modern Bono's voice really well.
    Amen!
    I re-discovered Indian Summer Sky not long ago after ignoring it for a long time and it's an incredible song.
    It would be terribly ironic for this band to sing "To lose along the way the spark that set the flame" nowadays though
  3. Here is a great understanding of the UF song.

From Guitar Player magazine June 1985:
    GUITAR PLAYER - Jun 85

You seem to change guitars a lot. Is this due to different tunings?

It's really because each song suggests to me a different guitar sound. The strange tunings that I have are for the lap steel and the Fender Telecaster. The Tele has a very odd one that I made up: F, A, D, D, G, D. As I was putting down some guitars on The Unforgettable Fire, I was having a little bit of difficulty coming out with something I was pleased with. So I decided as a radical change of approach to just tune the guitar up to the notes that seemed right. It was pure chance, but it does sound a beautiful chord in relation to the song. I play "Unforgettable Fire" onstage with the Tele and an E-Bow. I used E-Bow for another few tracks that didn't make the album. It's an interesting device, but it tends to make everything sound the same. So whether or not you get a nice, pleasant effect or that same whiny sound is really down to how you treat your sound after the guitar. [Ed. Note: The E-Bow is a small, hand-held electromagnetic bowing device for guitar.]
  4. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Amen!
    I re-discovered Indian Summer Sky not long ago after ignoring it for a long time and it's an incredible song.
    It would be terribly ironic for this band to sing "To lose along the way the spark that set the flame" nowadays though
    A Sort Of Homecoming is my favorite track
  5. i think that TUF is the mostly fan friendly album in the discography, has the two best famous songs (pride & bad) and two of the best non famous songs (ASOH & TUF) me when i was starting to become a fan listening to it for the first time was very amazing
  6. Originally posted by hedyzera:i think that TUF is the mostly fan friendly album in the discography, has the two best famous songs (pride & bad) and two of the best non famous songs (ASOH & TUF) me when i was starting to become a fan listening to it for the first time was very amazing
    Have to completely disagree there. Several far more fan friendly u2 albums imo.
  7. I can understand why. It's hard to me to choose between the title track and ASOH as my favorite, and then having Bad as the 3rd feels definitely wrong too
  8. TUF was the first studio album I had to wait for; and that feels so long ago now. Probably my second favourite album after Achtung Baby; it had great singles in Pride and the title track, gave us Bad which launched them to another level through Live Aid, and had plenty of other strong tracks like ASOH and Wire. I know it’s not to everyone’s taste but Elvis Presley and America is a personal favourite, I just like how it builds to a crescendo with Bono’s rambling, aching, lyrics.
  9. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:TUF was the first studio album I had to wait for; and that feels so long ago now. Probably my second favourite album after Achtung Baby; it had great singles in Pride and the title track, gave us Bad which launched them to another level through Live Aid, and had plenty of other strong tracks like ASOH and Wire. I know it’s not to everyone’s taste but Elvis Presley and America is a personal favourite, I just like how it builds to a crescendo with Bono’s rambling, aching, lyrics.
    Wire is also a standout one for me!
  10. Really did not care for TUF much as an album for the first several years of my U2 fandom. Then something clicked in 2019… don’t know what, just growing up more I guess, and widening my interest in other sort of atmospheric, “big” music from the 1980s (The Waterboys especially) and suddenly I could hear it with new ears. Or perhaps refreshed ears anyway! So much good stuff on here, it really is all about the atmosphere. I can’t quite understand how it can be so lush and so spare and icy at the same time!!

Indian Summer Sky was always a favorite for me, it has such a frantic feeling to it. They never really put out another track like that one. And as for the title track, well… just incredible. If you put a gun to my head to objectively rank the greatest U2 tracks, TUF would only barely fall after Streets to take second place, absolute magic. Pure atmosphere without forgetting it’s a rock song.
  11. We've read many times how The Unforgettable Fire concept started to brew in Bono's mind after visiting the Chicago Peace Museum in May 1983, and consolidated after U2's first visit to Japan in late 1983... But listening to it happen in real time is a completely different story.

Listen to Bono's rant at 03:02 onwards

12. Just listened.

So damn cool