1. the orpheum shows? the orpheum is a nice place, but u2 didn't play the garden at that time. basically meaning u2 weren't uber popular yet, but were on there way to be.
  2. Originally posted by stj0691:[..]

the orpheum shows? the orpheum is a nice place, but u2 didn't play the garden at that time. basically meaning u2 weren't uber popular yet, but were on there way to be.

thats when Boston crowds were at their best for U2 though. . in the early days

3. i thought boston crowds were always energetic? as for the war gigs, aren't they SBDs?
  4. 2nd Review

2001-10-12 Montreal

ELEVATED IN MONTREAL

Performance

'Elevation' opened the show for the first time for the third leg, and this would sum up the rest of the show. 'Beautiful Day' was superb, as was 'Until the End of the World' and 'New Year's Day'. 'Out of Control' was fantastic, and I loved Bono's recollection of his chat with the Record Dealer. "We know it's out of tune, but as soon as we get out of this garage, things will sound better." 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' and 'Stuck in a Moment' were alright, as usual. During the start of 'Kite' Edge's guitar isn't working, but Bono makes up for this vocally. Nothing special with 'Angel of Harlem' and 'Staring'. 'Bad' was great, especially with the '40' snippet. The lead into 'Streets' was amazing, another great thing about this tour. 'Mysterious Ways' feels out of place, and 'Pride' had oomph, but not enough punch in the end. 'Bullet' made it's 3rd leg debut. It was alright, and I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of the song. 'What's Going On' and 'New York' were good, but not at good as South Bend. 'With or Without You' was beautiful, the 'Shine Like Stars' snippet a personal favorite. 'One', 'Peace', and 'Walk On' ended a good show. Similar to the Slane set, with a few swaps, but overall very good.

Sound

The band can be heard nice and clear throughout this gold nugget. However, the volune jumped twice on me, but it was ok. I'd give it a 4-Star.

Audience

Really good crowd...no major interruptions, and everyone knew the songs, which made the show awesome. It definitely added to the performance.

Overall

A really good show, with 2 to three flaws. Other than that, the band gave a great performance. Highlights include 'Out of Control', 'Kite', 'Bad', and 'With or Without You'. The rest was pretty great/average. The only disappointment was that they did not play 'Still Haven't Found'. Other than that, 4stars overall. For the fan interested in bootlegs other than the mainstream ones.

Peace,
    Stj0691
  5. Great review, Steve.
  6. Nice review, Steve!!
    I agree on the most of the things, but I didn't feel Pride lacked strength... I liked it a lot, the crowd enjoyed it and the band did too. Why do you say it's weak?
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]Nice review, Steve!!
    I agree on the most of the things, but I didn't feel Pride lacked strength... I liked it a lot, the crowd enjoyed it and the band did too. Why do you say it's weak?

I never said Pride was weak?
  8. 3rd Review

2001-10-13 Hamilton

U2 ON FIRE FIRST TIME IN HAMILTON

Performance

'Elevation' rocked the place, and 'Beautiful Day' showed the band soared that evening. 'Until the End of the World', 'New Year's Day' and 'Out of Control' were average performances for the 3rd leg, however better than their 1st and 2nd leg counterparts. During 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' Bono hugged an American flag that he grabbed from an audience member. 'Stuck in a Moment' was pretty good, but nothing special. Bono dedicated 'Kite' to his dad, and toward the end he's a bit emotional. During 'Angel of Harlem' Bono screams the 'New York' lyric. 'People Get Ready' was a treat, especially because a fan got to play Bono's guitar! The guy was kinda nervous, but toward the end, I figured he was as good as Bono is. The guy sings too, which was pretty cool. 'Staring' was pretty good, as usual. 'Bad' was spectacular, especially the snippet Daniel Lanios' 'The Maker'. 'Streets' was amazing, not the best version of it, but the band were really into it here. 'Still Haven't Found' was beautiful, even with a small flub in the lyrics. The band go right into ’Pride', which really got the place going. They really ripped into 'Bullet' that night, and deliver one of best versions I've heard in a long time. 'What's Going On' was perfect, but some audience members kinda ruined it for me (see below). 'New York' was rockalicious. 'With or Without You' was serene, very beautiful version here. The entire stadium was quiet for a moment, then just started singing with Bono. Amazing. 'One', 'Peace' and 'Walk On' close another great show for the books.

Sound

Another good 'un. I'd say 4 stars, because of the clarity of the band. It's not perfect, but it's good enough for me!

Audience

It seems 3rd leg Elevation shows always have awesome audiences, and this is no different. One guy in the audience even guesses Bono's snippets...which amazed me. Really great crowd, they add so much to the show. The crowd seem to carry 'Angel of Harlem' too. The crowd were really digging 'Still Haven't Found'. The crowd really came alive with 'Pride', which sent shivers down my spine. However, during 'What's Going On', the same guys shout other things, which pissed me off. If I was at this concert, you probably would hear me say 'shut the fuck up, I wanna hear music, not you assholes'. If you morons are reading this, I'll tell ya now. Shut up. It's a rock and roll concert, not a fucking shouting match. If ya wanna shout, go to Metallica concert or something. End of.

Overall

This show was a fun listen. 'Kite', 'Angel of Harlem', 'People Get Ready', 'Pride', and 'With or Without You' are the standouts here. The only problem was during the encore when the morons (mentioned above) acted like immature 2 year olds. It just goes to show what kind of people they are. Anyway, this would be there last stop in Canada until Vertigo. On to Chicago!
  9. 4th Review

2001-10-15 Chicago

I WOULDN'T BE ANYWHERE ELSE

Performance

First off, what a show. The band were in a great mood, and it is present in the songs. 'Elevation' would be the first of many great performances of the night. 'Beautiful Day', 'Until the End of the World', and 'New Year's Day' were good, however Bono's voice was a bit raspy. However this would be the end of any problems. The rest of the show was amazing. I enjoyed 'Out of Control', and Bono's recollection of his going to London to present the demo. 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' was in great form as well. 'Stuck in a Moment' was above average here too. 'Kite' was dedicated to Bono's dad, and is an outstanding version. 'Angel of Harlem' was taken over by the audience, the real stars here. The guitar player of the Smashing Pumpkins played Bono's guitar on 'People Get Ready', which was a fun version. 'Staring' was good, and Bono's voice had improved since the start of the show. The best part of the show is right here. 'Bad' was out of this world. One of the best versions I've ever heard. The snippet of '40' and the lead into 'Streets' rivals Slane for this show. 'Streets' proved the band had ignited and IMO in top form. They should've played 'Pride' or 'Mysterious Ways' right after 'Streets' since the band were so great here. 'Still Haven't Found' was cool, but afterward the band cooled off, and 'Pride' was really good, but would have benefitted following the amazing version of 'Streets'. 'Bullet' was great. Really great. 'What's Going On' through 'Walk On' were all well perdormed. Overall, U2 certainly enjoyed the show, as did the audience, and they gave a performance to remember.

Sound

Really good, no dropouts or anything! I'd say 3.5 stars.

Audience

While U2 were strong at some points, the crowd were amazing the whole night. 4.5 out of 5.

Overall

I really really liked this one. It might not stay on my iPod as a whole, but 'Bad' and 'Streets' will. The performance highlights would have to be 'Elevation', 'Bad', and 'Streets'. If the sound were say, a 5 star, the 'Bad'/'Streets' portion probably would rival Slane down to the T. This portion is a must hear!
  10. Excellent reviews Steve!