1. Hard choice, but Popmart gets it for me.
  2. It's so hard...but I choose Streets from Elevation . ZooTv is another great perfomance

3. Thanks for all the links Dan, much appreciated

I listened to Slane and I love the operatic opening vocals, but I don't really like the 'love, love, love' bit at the end (that seems to be common to all live versions). I prefer the repeated 'blowin in the wind/love turns to rust bit' (sung at the top of his voice) in the album version.

I think I like the album version so much, because it has this incredible sense of space and is very ethereal.
    I think the live versions sound more like a stadium rock song (albeit a very good one), and they don't have quite they same atmosphere about them.

I'll have a look at the R&H performance to see if they're closer to the album version.
  4. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

Thanks for all the links Dan, much appreciated

I listened to Slane and I love the operatic opening vocals, but I don't really like the 'love, love, love' bit at the end (that seems to be common to all live versions). I prefer the repeated 'blowin in the wind/love turns to rust bit' (sung at the top of his voice) in the album version.

I think I like the album version so much, because it has this incredible sense of space and is very ethereal.
    I think the live versions sound more like a stadium rock song (albeit a very good one), and they don't have quite they same atmosphere about them.

I'll have a look at the R&H performance to see if they're closer to the album version.

You never listened to Slane and other bootlegs containing Streets before?

5. Oh I have, (like Zoo TV Sydney etc,) but I always thought that they didn't contain the standout performances of the song

I've now listened to the R&H (like the red backdrop) and Popmart performance that Dan posted, and I think that Slane is clearly the best of them, Bono's vocals on the others aren't quite there, bit out of time etc.
  6. Not really. The album version has something for me... It is THE definitive U2 song in all its greateness. Alright, when played live it's just awesome, the common highlight of every single show, but the album version has something mythical that cannot be matched.

Respectfully,
    A guy who has listened maybe to 300 live Streets
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]Not really. The album version has something for me... It is THE definitive U2 song in all its greateness. Alright, when played live it's just awesome, the common highlight of every single show, but the album version has something mythical that cannot be matched.

Respectfully,

Exactly

8. OK, but it was this quote that was very strange and surprising for me:

Listen to Houston 14 October 1992 for instance.
    Of course the album version is mytical but Streets live is even better.

On the other hand ISHFWILF and WOWY has never been matched live (yet) though.
  9. Tiw between ZooTV, and Elevation. Also, opening it with MLK at the superbowel was awesome. They should do that again.
  10. Streets is overrated anyway.
  11. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]Not really. The album version has something for me... It is THE definitive U2 song in all its greateness. Alright, when played live it's just awesome, the common highlight of every single show, but the album version has something mythical that cannot be matched.

Respectfully,

Singing on the album version is better than live, but apart from that, the live version is more... special.