1. Bono on guitar.
  2. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Old reports from the handful of shows where So Cruel was performed suggest that it was Bono solo, so I'd trust those and just go along with it. It's not bad guitar playing at all (even if it's a rather easy song to play), which proves once again Bono was a better guitar player than fans tend to think.

Some stuff on Exit (studio version) is Bono on guitar
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Old reports from the handful of shows where So Cruel was performed suggest that it was Bono solo, so I'd trust those and just go along with it. It's not bad guitar playing at all (even if it's a rather easy song to play), which proves once again Bono was a better guitar player than fans tend to think.

you play guitar man and you know he ain't good

i play guitar and i know he ain't good

leave his guitar turned down or give him 'easy' chords that he can't mess up
  4. Originally posted by TheRealEdge:[..]

you play guitar man and you know he ain't good

i play guitar and i know he ain't good

leave his guitar turned down or give him 'easy' chords that he can't mess up
    He's not a great guitar player. He's not even good. But he's not as bad as many seem to think. We mocked him quite a lot after the Vertigo Tour because he spent a good chunk of the tour with a guitar hung off his neck without playing it (or playing it without it being turned up) but he's a better player than most think.
  5. I am very thankful to have a good quality live version of So Cruel.

That said, this version doesn’t do the song full justice. Obviously they didn’t have a lot of options to choose from either.

Like many, I truly hope the band revisit this song in some non-acoustic form before they retire. It’s a gem.
  6. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    He's not a great guitar player. He's not even good. But he's not as bad as many seem to think. We mocked him quite a lot after the Vertigo Tour because he spent a good chunk of the tour with a guitar hung off his neck without playing it (or playing it without it being turned up) but he's a better player than most think.
    this has probly been explored elsewhere, but have we figured out what song Bono has played the most intricate guitar on? (full band song, not say -She's a Mystery to Me)
  7. Originally posted by marik:[..]
    this has probly been explored elsewhere, but have we figured out what song Bono has played the most intricate guitar on? (full band song, not say -She's a Mystery to Me)
    This guitar intro always springs to mind:

It's not Joe Satriani or Paco de Lucía, obviously, but he shows a gentleness and melodic inclination that is far superior to what most people think he can could do.
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    This guitar intro always springs to mind:

[YouTube Video]

It's not Joe Satriani or Paco de Lucía, obviously, but he shows a gentleness and melodic inclination that is far superior to what most people think he can could do.
    Hello.
  9. Originally posted by ap5:I am very thankful to have a good quality live version of So Cruel.

That said, this version doesn’t do the song full justice. Obviously they didn’t have a lot of options to choose from either.

Like many, I truly hope the band revisit this song in some non-acoustic form before they retire. It’s a gem.
    The solo Bono version sounds good, but I wish they had used one of the full-band versions from the Hershey rehearsals
  10. loved his voice, my god this is so beautiful
  11. Originally posted by ap5:I am very thankful to have a good quality live version of So Cruel.

agreed
  12. Originally posted by ap5:I am very thankful to have a good quality live version of So Cruel.

Amen to that. While I will always have Bad as my number one song; So Cruel beats it in terms of lyrics. For me, these are the best he has ever written; multiple brilliant couplets that deserve their time on the big stage. A beautiful acoustic version with Edge, like SATS or Stay would be awesome to hear on tour. This one is just a teaser of what it could be.