1. Id prefer something like this more for an acoustic version of the song. Still my favorite acoustically from them.
  2. Originally posted by Monopoly:Bono seems to be struggling to sing just like RTSS from Christmas. I’m wondering if it’s not just age but possible he got COVID and it’s causing breath shortness as a result.

Idk, I feel like Bono is a bad “middle” singer. Like he does decent singing in kind of a hush (WOWY, Book of your Heart) and really well loudly. But when he’s in between singing quietly and loudly he almost gets awkward. Like he wants to belt it out but holds back and makes his singing sound unsure.
  3. Originally posted by Release3:[..]

Idk, I feel like Bono is a bad “middle” singer. Like he does decent singing in kind of a hush (WOWY, Book of your Heart) and really well loudly. But when he’s in between singing quietly and loudly he almost gets awkward. Like he wants to belt it out but holds back and makes his singing sound unsure.
    This. He has no middle. It’s either speak the lyrics or go full chipmunk.
  4. I feel like if he just sang loud, it would’ve been great.

Another example I think of off the top of my head is Miracle live from Graham Norton. Everything going well, until the breakdown. Once Adam and Larry stop and Edge is chiming away, Bono does that awkward in between when if he just would’ve stayed full force it would’ve been fine
  5. Originally posted by Release3:[..]

Yes, I've been saying this since a long time ago (https://u2start.com/topic/11098#777034): he's finally lost any mid range he ever had. He can still reach high tones when in a concert environment, but not in a TV/church/radio/acoustic rearrangement environment, where he tries to hold it back and ends up sounding awkward. These acoustic/promo versions where it's all about intimacy just don't suit his current range.
  6. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Yes, I've been saying this since a long time ago (https://u2start.com/topic/11098#777034): he's finally lost any mid range he ever had. He can still reach high tones when in a concert environment, but not in a TV/church/radio/acoustic rearrangement environment, where he tries to hold it back and ends up sounding awkward. These acoustic/promo versions where it's all about intimacy just don't suit his current range.
    You might be surprised to hear I agree with all that. But I just wonder why he doesn’t take the same voice he uses at big gigs for these more intimate performances. He’s sang Sunday Bloody Sunday acoustic before and just did his regular voice he would use in a full band performance and it sounded great. Albeit this was 17,18 years ago the version I’m thinking of but I think he CAN do it it’s just he often isn’t whether he’s not got the same confidence in his voice in a more intimate setting or he just wants to hold back because he thinks it suits the arrangement. But I think he’s capable, just listen to the 2019 tour versions.
    This is the only acoustic version of SBS I need or want.
  7. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    You might be surprised to hear I agree with all that. But I just wonder why he doesn’t take the same voice he uses at big gigs for these more intimate performances. He’s sang Sunday Bloody Sunday acoustic before and just did his regular voice he would use in a full band performance and it sounded great. Albeit this was 17,18 years ago the version I’m thinking of but I think he CAN do it it’s just he often isn’t whether he’s not got the same confidence in his voice in a more intimate setting or he just wants to hold back because he thinks it suits the arrangement. But I think he’s capable, just listen to the 2019 tour versions.
    This is the only acoustic version of SBS I need or want.
    [YouTube Video]
    YES. In the end it's all a confidence issue. It also has to do with the fact that these promo/various dates usually take place during non-tour times, and Bono's voice (just as anyone else) becomes untrained and out of shape when he isn't singing on a nightly (kinda) basis. Not singing at full throttle for a year and then having to record a version of a vocally-demanding song is hard, for sure. That's why they should have (#) warmed up and done a few takes before recording the final one that went up on the socials.

(#) Because I just plain refuse to believe the take we've seen was well rehearsed and warmed up for. No way.
  8. This was pretty bad. Wow