1. Now Bono's going to think he can change the world by playing the same song every single night. This is a dangerous precedent.
  2. Originally posted by Doc32:Now Bono's going to think he can change the world by playing the same song every single night. This is a dangerous precedent.

Yea
    I dislike how Bono has become more of a politician and less of an artist
  3. Amazing news that Aung San Suu Kyi has finally been released!

However, I personally like Walk On. I think they should cut out the masks and the dedications part and just keep the song. But if they keep it, play it like they did on the Elevation tour. It works really well to close out the main set, imo.
  4. Good news. Though I think Walk On is here to stay. Actually, it will be even more emphasized, at least I think so.
  5. I'm disgusted how some obviously deluded fans use this very important issue to bitch about setlists at U2 concerts and complain about Bono's political activities. There is a world outside of U2 and I'm very pleased that the band have issued a statement regarding this important news. U2 and Bono will never stop being politically active to support the things they believe in and to put public pressure on those who indeed have the power to change things. Some U2 fans, however, chose to live inside their own small world where a weak setlist is their major concern. Time for a reality check, guys. Cheers for the democratic movement in Burma and also for U2 and the fans who haven't stop believing that a change is indeed possible. We need more people like Bono out there who use their popularity for purposes like these. Now let's hope and pray that her freedom will indeed last and that it brings long-term change to the democratic developments in Burma where there are still over 2000 people imprisoned because they believe in democratic values.
  6. Originally posted by Cypress:I'm disgusted how some obviously deluded fans use this very important issue to bitch about setlists at U2 concerts and complain about Bono's political activities. There is a world outside of U2 and I'm very pleased that the band have issued a statement regarding this important news. U2 and Bono will never stop being politically active to support the things they believe in and to put public pressure on those who indeed have the power to change things. Some U2 fans, however, chose to live inside their own small world where a weak setlist is their major concern. Time for a reality check, guys. Cheers for the democratic movement in Burma and also for U2 and the fans who haven't stop believing that a change is indeed possible. We need more people like Bono out there who use their popularity for purposes like these. Now let's hope and pray that her freedom will indeed last and that it brings long-term change to the democratic developments in Burma where there are still over 2000 people imprisoned because they believe in democratic values.

Ahem, do you really think the Walk On demonstrations on the 360 tour are responsible for her release?
    Do you think the Burmese military junta follow the 360 tour and it made them feel bad?
    No, it didn't.

There's a time and a place for everything and some fans rightly thought that the doing the whole Walk On mask wearing thing every show was a bit excessive, there's ways of drawing attention to an issue without going overboard.

I don't remember anything like this going on in tours in the 80s or even Zoo TV where they raised awareness for the Bosnian War at a few shows - which was commendable - it was a far bigger deal than one person being placed under house arrest.

To be frank constant, incessant activism quickly wears thin and stops feeling genuine and seems ever moreso like the kind of 'look how much we care' posturing that many of their critics accuse Bono and the band of.

The SBS speech on R&H, playing Mothers of the Disappeared in Chile, playing in Sarajevo after the war - those are statements that are far more compelling and far more likely to ignite hearts and minds than doing some sort of forced rigmarole each and every show.
  7. Originally posted by Cypress:I'm disgusted how some obviously deluded fans use this very important issue to bitch about setlists at U2 concerts and complain about Bono's political activities. There is a world outside of U2 and I'm very pleased that the band have issued a statement regarding this important news. U2 and Bono will never stop being politically active to support the things they believe in and to put public pressure on those who indeed have the power to change things. Some U2 fans, however, chose to live inside their own small world where a weak setlist is their major concern. Time for a reality check, guys. Cheers for the democratic movement in Burma and also for U2 and the fans who haven't stop believing that a change is indeed possible. We need more people like Bono out there who use their popularity for purposes like these. Now let's hope and pray that her freedom will indeed last and that it brings long-term change to the democratic developments in Burma where there are still over 2000 people imprisoned because they believe in democratic values.

Apologies. I hope from now on, the band specifically dedicate 24 songs a night to some unjust situation in the world.
  8. Originally posted by Cypress:I'm disgusted how some obviously deluded fans use this very important issue to bitch about setlists at U2 concerts and complain about Bono's political activities. There is a world outside of U2 and I'm very pleased that the band have issued a statement regarding this important news. U2 and Bono will never stop being politically active to support the things they believe in and to put public pressure on those who indeed have the power to change things. Some U2 fans, however, chose to live inside their own small world where a weak setlist is their major concern. Time for a reality check, guys. Cheers for the democratic movement in Burma and also for U2 and the fans who haven't stop believing that a change is indeed possible. We need more people like Bono out there who use their popularity for purposes like these. Now let's hope and pray that her freedom will indeed last and that it brings long-term change to the democratic developments in Burma where there are still over 2000 people imprisoned because they believe in democratic values.

Im sorry, but I really dont give much about Suu Kyi its good that she is free, but what have I to do with Burma
  9. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

Ahem, do you really think the Walk On demonstrations on the 360 tour are responsible for her release?
    Do you think the Burmese military junta follow the 360 tour and it made them feel bad?
    No, it didn't.

Maybe it did, but in combination with thousands of other protests. It puts pressure on the government, they just couldn't keep on ignoring those facts. Glad they finally respond.

10. Haha, it still surprises me to see people living in their "own bubble". Probably means you have a very good life Bart. I just hope for your sake that it stays that way...
  11. Originally posted by Cypress:I'm disgusted how some obviously deluded fans use this very important issue to bitch about setlists at U2 concerts and complain about Bono's political activities. There is a world outside of U2 and I'm very pleased that the band have issued a statement regarding this important news. U2 and Bono will never stop being politically active to support the things they believe in and to put public pressure on those who indeed have the power to change things. Some U2 fans, however, chose to live inside their own small world where a weak setlist is their major concern. Time for a reality check, guys. Cheers for the democratic movement in Burma and also for U2 and the fans who haven't stop believing that a change is indeed possible. We need more people like Bono out there who use their popularity for purposes like these. Now let's hope and pray that her freedom will indeed last and that it brings long-term change to the democratic developments in Burma where there are still over 2000 people imprisoned because they believe in democratic values.

That's a bit pan-aggressive, even by my standards

Let's take a breath here.

I think it's great news that Aung San Suu Kyi has been released, as I'm sure other people around here do too. Personally I think it's significance to Burmese politics has been over-played a bit but it's a welcome move. I don't think anyone here wouldn't welcome it.

But people should be allowed to discuss a U2 set list on a U2 forum. That includes strong and weak points and for many people here 'Walk On' is a weak point. Maybe it's stale from repetition, maybe it's the whole regularity at which ATYCLB features in the set lists etc.

But I guess my overall point is that people here should be able to say they don't like said song in set list, and not just swallow it because there's a political background to it.

Same as if 'Numb' was in every show and people didn't like it even though Bono was using it to promote awareness of Heroin addiction. At the end of the day it's a song. The strength of the meaning, significance & likability waivers from person to person.