1. Originally posted by JRlovesU2:[..]

Haha, it still surprises me to see people living in their "own bubble". Probably means you have a very good life Bart. I just hope for your sake that it stays that way...

It has nothing to do with a bubble or so, I care for a lott of things. I think its great she is free but its not like I dont sleep at night because there are troubles in countries like Burma or Iran or any other countries far far away
  2. Originally posted by KaiserJose:That's a bit pan-aggressive, even by my standards

Let's take a breath here.

I think it's great news that Aung San Suu Kyi has been released, as I'm sure other people around here do too. Personally I think it's significance to Burmese politics has been over-played a bit but it's a welcome move. I don't think anyone here wouldn't welcome it.

But people should be allowed to discuss a U2 set list on a U2 forum. That includes strong and weak points and for many people here 'Walk On' is a weak point. Maybe it's stale from repetition, maybe it's the whole regularity at which ATYCLB features in the set lists etc.

But I guess my overall point is that people here should be able to say they don't like said song in set list, and not just swallow it because there's a political background to it.

Same as if 'Numb' was in every show and people didn't like it even though Bono was using it to promote awareness of Heroin addiction. At the end of the day it's a song. The strength of the meaning, significance & likability waivers from person to person.

Agreed. I am very glad to hear Aung San has been released, although I am intrigued as to what motivated the junta to end the house arrest. My heart's hoping that it is the precursor to political change in Burma, but my head can't help but be cynical and consider there to be something perhaps sinister behind the whole affair. We can but wait and see. However, if I professed to suggest that I haven't slept at night for the last 20 years because of her imprisonment, I'd be lying out of my arse. However, it's good news either which way.
  3. Great news!

I just hope they just let her free (forever).

4. Originally posted by bartajax:[..]

It has nothing to do with a bubble or so, I care for a lott of things. I think its great she is free but its not like I dont sleep at night because there are troubles in countries like Burma or Iran or any other countries far far away

Exactly what I meant. You're lucky to have been born in Holland after world war II. Just like me. But I do care about troubles in "countries like Burma or Iran or any other countries far far away".

Because not caring is taking all your luxuries for granted. Not caring is allowing other humans to act against human rights (which you take for granted). Not caring is exactly what U2 is trying to prevent their fans from.

They started working with Amnesty International in 1986 or so, which opened my eyes for a world bigger than "safe Holland".

Caring for people around the world happened to U2, maybe it will happen for you too.
  5. Originally posted by JRlovesU2:[..]

Exactly what I meant. You're lucky to have been born in Holland after world war II. Just like me. But I do care about troubles in "countries like Burma or Iran or any other countries far far away".

Because not caring is taking all your luxuries for granted. Not caring is allowing other humans to act against human rights (which you take for granted). Not caring is exactly what U2 is trying to prevent their fans from.

They started working with Amnesty International in 1986 or so, which opened my eyes for a world bigger than "safe Holland".

Caring for people around the world happened to U2, maybe it will happen for you too.

Ahh Im only 18 :p maybe it will come. But for now I dont really care about things like that. Or maybe I should say it otherwise,I know a lott of the world and I care for it but its not like I dont sleep at night or think about it the whole day.

But im happy shes free. I hope she wont get arrested in the next couple of months and that she can join the next election in Burma.
  6. Originally posted by JRlovesU2:[..]

Haha, it still surprises me to see people living in their "own bubble". Probably means you have a very good life Bart. I just hope for your sake that it stays that way...

I don't know if I would call it living in a bubble. You can only care about so many things in the world. You'd drive yourself crazy worrying about the problems of everyone everywhere in the world. Much more practical to be aware of larger issues but really care about the things that affect you the most
  7. Originally posted by Doc32:[..]

I don't know if I would call it living in a bubble. You can only care about so many things in the world. You'd drive yourself crazy worrying about the problems of everyone everywhere in the world. Much more practical to be aware of larger issues but really care about the things that affect you the most

True, I might have been a bit too harsh on Bart. No one can take all the problems in this world on his/her shoulders. I think what triggered it for me was the sentence about not being too bothered because it's happening in a country far, far away.

Indifference kills humanity, something like that.
  8. Originally posted by JRlovesU2:[..]

True, I might have been a bit too harsh on Bart. No one can take all the problems in this world on his/her shoulders. I think what triggered it for me was the sentence about not being too bothered because it's happening in a country far, far away.

Indifference kills humanity, something like that.

I still think that its not good that those things happen but it doesnt affect me very much, I still sleep at night. A couple of years ago I was really sad about the war in Iraq but now it just doesnt really bother me anymore when I read about a car bomb in Iraq where 12 people died it just doesnt really grabs me.

Im not stupid or selfish or something else but were you care about problems in other countries I care more about my family,friends, education and my hobbies.

EDIT: I didnt want to say that you dont care about family, friends and so on
  9. Time to quote mr. Hewson: "The opposite of love is not hate, but indifference"...
  10. U2.com email

I'm sure, like us, you're delighted with the news of the release of Aung San Suu Kyi in Burma at the weekend. We should all be relieved, if cautious, that she has been able to take a step towards freedom.

However, we must remember that her release is not part of any political process but is designed to get positive publicity for the dictatorship after the blatant rigging of elections on 7th November. We must not forget the thousands of other political prisoners still suffering in Burma’s jails and must do whatever we can to encourage the international community to engage the junta in dialogue.

We will continue our support of this remarkable woman and her campaign, and as always we count on your continued input and continued vigilance.

Thanks
    Edge

11. I didn't know this quote; I think that's really true.
  12. Originally posted by jofice:U2.com email

I'm sure, like us, you're delighted with the news of the release of Aung San Suu Kyi in Burma at the weekend. We should all be relieved, if cautious, that she has been able to take a step towards freedom.

However, we must remember that her release is not part of any political process but is designed to get positive publicity for the dictatorship after the blatant rigging of elections on 7th November. We must not forget the thousands of other political prisoners still suffering in Burma’s jails and must do whatever we can to encourage the international community to engage the junta in dialogue.

We will continue our support of this remarkable woman and her campaign, and as always we count on your continued input and continued vigilance.

Thanks
    Edge

Should I be reading this as - yes, she's been released, but don't get your hopes up we'll continue to play Walk On every night?