2011-06-24 - Glastonbury
Tour: Various Dates
Songs played: 20
Audio recordings: 2
Videos: 1
  1. JFC, people Get the fuck over your purist bullshit.
  2. The setlist is fine. The leather is fine.
  3. Only issues I have with glastonbury, they played Boots instead of NYD. It was a discussion the band had and they made the wrong choice imo. The last 2 songs weren’t good choices for festival closers, moment of surrender and out of control aren’t well known songs outwith the fanbase. I personally enjoyed them but I know someone who went to see the band in Singapore with me and a few other mates and even he thought it was a bad choice. They could have had a big sing along to end. Imagine with or without you with the oh’s ending the gig, or pride or even 40. But the song performances were actually pretty strong.
  4. So what.
  5. We're here to nitpick and second guess everyfuckingthing? Wow. Superfun.
  6. Just better shows out there to listen to. Glastonbury has good sound quality and a pretty good performance so bash on but there’s good sound quality shows out there with great performances. Glastonbury is a solid 4/5 for me, there’s plenty of 5/5’s.
  7. Agreed.
  8. They fucked the Streets intro. Sackable offence.
  9. Oh my fucking god. They're human? Fuck!
  10. Originally posted by podiumboy:I simply don't understand the hate this show gets among the fanbase. It was a perfectly fine performance, fairly typical U2 show of 2011. Other than flubbing the intro of EBTTRT, they played just fine. Sure, the rain probably inhibited their performance, but they sure gave it 10x more than fucking Oasis ever did.
    There were a good bunch of fuckups (many more than "just flubbing the intro of Even Better") and in general there was a consensus -and even the band admitted that in interviews etc- that the rain AND the huge physical distance between the band and the crowd killed the momentum of the show - I'm rather sure even the jet lag played a part too. The four of them were nervous and not really enjoying themselves as they were in many of these 2010 & 2011 shows.
  11. I was at the gig at Glastonbury. It was good borderline very good but it wasn’t great. I’ve seen u2 nearly 20 times and I’d say this was the worst I’ve seen them. Not saying it wasn’t good but I don’t think it lived up to that Glastonbury moment expectation.

The gig was built up a lot. A lot of controversy around it beforehand. A lot of people didn’t want u2 there. There was actually a protest while u2 were playing 😃

Glastonbury is a big deal in the U.K., it gets massive media coverage. Classic sets on every year. Now since 2011 I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone mention the U2 set. It just isn’t remembered, it didn’t live up to the hype.

The gig itself. I was right down the front, pretty close to the stage. The first song EBTTRT was an absolute mess. Honestly the tv footage doesn’t do it Justice how bad that first song was. It was awful. But then the fly was mind blowing. Sounded amazing. Then the set was off. From that point it was excellent. Hit after hit. I never actually noticed streets being messed up at the start .Then Stay really killed the crowd. I love Stay myself but it put the brakes on the show . Get on your boots killed it completely. There was also some sound issues from Bono’s mic. Went low for the rest of the gig. Set list was wrong and the songs were placed in the wrong places I thought.

Now the weather certainly had an effect on the gig. People say well it’s rained at other u2 gigs. Difference is people have paid to see u2 so they are there for u2. At Glastonbury that isn’t the case. The crowd isn’t full of fans. The rain was horrendous. It dampened the neutral crowd. Morrissey was boring as hell before u2. That didn’t help.

I bring this up because Coldplay played the Saturday night ,elbow supported who were superb and the sun was blazing hot. Honestly the difference between the crowd’s enthusiasm between the Friday and the Saturday was night and day. Coldplay were outstanding that weekend.

There’s a lot of Glastonbury coverage on this weekend . U2 aren’t on as I said u2 played and it was good but it vanished from everyone’s memory after it happened. It didn’t create what we call here a Glastonbury moment.

For me being a regular to Glastonbury it was a dream to see them there. I won’t forget it. Like I said it was good but it was just missing that special ingredient that makes a Glastonbury set special. It should have blown everything that had come before it out the water. Radiohead 97 Bowie 2000 Macca 04. U2 should have been top of the list. Unfortunately it isn’t.

Just to add the gig comes across a lot better on tv and bootleg then it actually did being there in person