2011-06-24 - Glastonbury
Tour: Various Dates
Songs played: 20
Audio recordings: 2
Videos: 1
  1. it seems to me certain people here are unaware of just how cynical and evil a festival crowd can be (especially towards a band as hated as U2) i'm especially willing to bet that the person who wrote:
    "You really think people will booing at U2??? No way they are respected, and they are the biggest band in the worl so why will you boo at them "
    - has never been to a music festival in the UK and possibly never been to a music festival ever?!!

and patsox i was also going to disagree with some of the things you said but i don't have much time and it's far too difficult to pick points out of your 5000 posts...!

basically there's so many ways they could mess this up and i hope they are totally aware of how to avoid doing that. for a band who haven't played a music festival since 1985 and are far too comfortable playing to their own devoted crowds, they have a LOT to learn... there can be NO preaching from bono whatsoever, they've GOT to put together the perfect setlist that takes in all aspects of their career (including pop and zooropa) and they've got to play like it's 1980 again and they've got it all to prove.

i'm guessing we'll know from what they're playing on the preceeding US leg whether or not there will be any curveballs in the glasto set.. but they CAN NOTTTTTT play a 360 set or anything that even resembles a 360 set. they've got to come up with an 100% new and different setlist that looks and sounds nothing like a 360 set. for the reasons i said in my earlier post there needs to be some songs that will surprise the people with pre-conceptions of what U2 sound like. (oh and they can't play that lame glastonbury song they wrote)

but i'm very excited and nervous for them - for me this is the most exciting U2 related event for as long as i can remember! i can't wait to see how they deal with playing on a normal stage without all the catwalks/b-stages/gimmicks etc.. if they pull it off it will be one of the greatest moments

2. Cant say I agree with much of that! I have been to plenty of festivals and generally people are very open minded (or so I have found)....and you just have to see the reception that Streets got last year- I know it was Muse but most of the crowd were singing along and Edge got an almighty ovation.

My friends going dont like U2 and I guess there will be plenty like them...however they are not going to go there and boo them.....they will simply check out another stage or do something else?

Agree with the Preaching but he wouldnt do that I think.

They seem to be trying to tick as many boxes as possible these days and I think the Boy/War tracks may win some new fans.....

3. i agree with the boy/war idea, ive been listening to those 2 albums a bit lately, kinda reminds me of the sound that Foals/ Two Door Cinema Club have got going now
  4. Originally posted by AllBeacauseOfZoo:Cant say I agree with much of that! I have been to plenty of festivals and generally people are very open minded (or so I have found)....and you just have to see the reception that Streets got last year- I know it was Muse but most of the crowd were singing along and Edge got an almighty ovation.

ok maybe maybe i'm being overly nervous about it.. i hope so.. we'll see...

i know it's hard for a lot of U2 fans to accept but the hate that a LOT of people in this country have for bono is mind blowing.. a lot of them actually might've been able to become U2 fans but just can't get around how much they hate bono. i honestly think bono might be one of the most hated people in this country!
  5. It is definitely going to be a defining moment. I pray to God they give us something special. Easily the most exciting thing to happen since i've been a fan.
  6. Indeed Ric! ......all for the wrong reasons I might add! ...but thats off topic...

Agree that its a defining point....if it goes badly, there maybe one more album and then quits...I cant see them taking it well if it doesnt go to plan....

Alternatively it may give them a new lease of life...

Either way they know this and credit to them for having the balls to do it......they arent afraid of failure.....a lesson to us all!
  7. So, reading this topic, u2 will play to 80,000 haters who will kick them off stage when they play their big hits and their career would be over then. Will be interesting to see that.

Honestly, you are all reading well too much into it.
  8. Originally posted by yeah:So, reading this topic, u2 will play to 80,000 haters who will kick them off stage when they play their big hits and their career would be over then. Will be interesting to see that.

Certainly not. Not that they need any more fans but each of us know a lot more U2 haters than lovers. U2 can capture a whole new audience if they pull something out of the bag in June. They are excellent in their own arena but very rarely special.

Plus I still think good press from Glasto will lead to another round of 360 in the UK.
  9. Originally posted by yeah:So, reading this topic, u2 will play to 80,000 haters who will kick them off stage when they play their big hits and their career would be over then. Will be interesting to see that.

what a black and white way of putting it....

obviously i don't think everyone in the crowd will be a hater but there will definitely be a lot more non fans than massive U2 fans and i dare say there will be a few haters there too. there will be casual fans. there will be people who have been dragged along by their friends who don't really want to be there.. there will be people selling drugs, people selling burgers and falafel. there will be people who don't even know they're there. there will be people who wont remember they were there..

as someone who's been to glastonbury four times all i'm saying is it will be about as far from a crowd at a U2 gig as U2 will ever play to...

10. It will be a standard U2 gig imo. Nothing more, nothing less. Probably an excited audience and an energetic performance but nowhere near any defining moment. They won't win 80,000 fans, they won't loose any.

yep, that's what I was trying to point out with this post.
  11. yeah it is what it is and will be what it will be!

lets just wait and see and not talk about it anymore!
  12. Originally posted by ric:it seems to me certain people here are unaware of just how cynical and evil a festival crowd can be (especially towards a band as hated as U2) i'm especially willing to bet that the person who wrote:
    "You really think people will booing at U2??? No way they are respected, and they are the biggest band in the worl so why will you boo at them "
    - has never been to a music festival in the UK and possibly never been to a music festival ever?!!

and patsox i was also going to disagree with some of the things you said but i don't have much time and it's far too difficult to pick points out of your 5000 posts...!

basically there's so many ways they could mess this up and i hope they are totally aware of how to avoid doing that. for a band who haven't played a music festival since 1985 and are far too comfortable playing to their own devoted crowds, they have a LOT to learn... there can be NO preaching from bono whatsoever, they've GOT to put together the perfect setlist that takes in all aspects of their career (including pop and zooropa) and they've got to play like it's 1980 again and they've got it all to prove.

i'm guessing we'll know from what they're playing on the preceeding US leg whether or not there will be any curveballs in the glasto set.. but they CAN NOTTTTTT play a 360 set or anything that even resembles a 360 set. they've got to come up with an 100% new and different setlist that looks and sounds nothing like a 360 set. for the reasons i said in my earlier post there needs to be some songs that will surprise the people with pre-conceptions of what U2 sound like. (oh and they can't play that lame glastonbury song they wrote)

but i'm very excited and nervous for them - for me this is the most exciting U2 related event for as long as i can remember! i can't wait to see how they deal with playing on a normal stage without all the catwalks/b-stages/gimmicks etc.. if they pull it off it will be one of the greatest moments

I was the one who said that. I have been to Pinkpop once, a pretty huge festival in the Netherlands, and didnt hear anyone booing. Its normal you dont like every band of artist you see there but booing to them is something that just isnt right. I also understand that there a lot of people who think Bono is a complete idiot with all his talking about Africa and stuff ( I even agree with them) But they wouldnt boo at U2 just because they think Bono is a idiot. U2 needs to give a hell of a show there and like you say they should come up with something completely different than the 360 tour and I'am very curious if they could give a hell of a show there.