1. Well were should I post it?
  2. Originally posted by wtshnnfb01[..]

Well were should I post it?

If it contained politics, I guess you should post it in the topic we have for that.

This thread was only about how it was when you received the news and that, "your personal story".
  3. That's quite some time ago! I was at home, I was connected to the internet for just a few months so slowly getting addicted Around half past 3/4 or so, I've read something on a Dutch news site with regards to a plane hitting the WTC. I didn't know what the WTC was at that time, so I went downstairs to turn on the computer. From there it was just watching TV nonstop for hours, unbelievable.
  4. I was in my first year of high school, I would have been 11? I remember coming home on the school bus, getting in at 3:30pm with my brother, and as we were about to open the front door, our dad opened it, looking completely stunned, and just said 'have you seen the news?'. We went to the living room and just stood watching the TV for about half an hour in complete silence. No one knew what to say. Like others have said, I was too young to realise the implications of everything that happened that day, but the older I get, the more you appreciate, and the more I dwell on it. I still to this day struggle to get my head around it, but every year when September 11th comes 'round, I just wish for strength and love to those who lost family and friends on that day.

RIP.
  5. I was 23 back then. It was a sunshiny Tuesday and I was taking my lunch break from work. I was home and sat in the living room with my mom. The tv was on with some nonsense talk show, and as usual I turned on this tv teletext to see if any news were up for this day. I saw a headline there that said "Plane hits building". I clicked on that side and it vaguely said there that a plane had crashed into a skyscraper in New York. That was all. I told my mom and she said "might be one of those small sport planes", you know the ones with only one or two persons aboard. We thought it was an accident and that was it.
    Then there was this breaking news line going through on tv while we were still watching that talk show. "Airplane crashes into WTC".
    We switched to a German news channel - and saw the damage on the North Tower. News were coming in, nobody knew what was really happening. My mom and me, we still thought it was an accident.
    And then the second plane hit the South Tower. My mom's words: "This is a terrorist attack. This can't be an accident."
    We kept watching. It was undescribable. Nobody knew what was going on, and if anything else would happen anytime.
    Then my mom said: "One tower is gone." I remember staring at her in disbelief and then looking at the screen. And the tower was gone. A shock, all those people. It was too much to understand. Then the second tower collapsed. And we were watching it live. It was surreal. It left me numb in heart and mind.
    I had to go back to work soon after the second tower had collapsed. I remember meeting my boss at that time and I saw the shock in his face, too. He'd also seen the news on tv. "What now, Kirsten, what's going to happen now in the world?" he asked, and his voice was calm and full of worry.
    There was shock everywhere that day. When I returned home later that night, my family spent the rest of the day watching news. Phone calls were made with friends. "Did you see..." and "what's happening..." - these things.
    The images that came up the following days are burned into my memory forever. Still, when I see those huge clouds of dust that blasted through the streets after the towers collided, I can't help thinking "this are people in that dust". It is something that still chills me to the bone. 10 years have gone by, yet whenever I see it on tv or in the newspaper, it feels like it happened a week ago.
  6. I was in Manhattan last year and the university where I was giving a lecture is not far from ground zero. My colleagues were telling me how they'd been triaging patients and doing first aid in the lobby of one of their buildings. I think a lot of people did extraordinary things that day, as people always do in disasters.
  7. I was 16 in my junior year of high school. I was in my telecommunications class, which was separated into two rooms: the classroom and the audio-video room. We were working on group projects, and half of us were in the video room and half were in the classroom. my group was in the furthest corner of the classroom, and I remember eventually looking around and noticing that everyone else had gone into the video room. My group followed, and we found everyone huddled around our little TV screens, watching what had happened. It was just after the second plane had hit; our entire class stood there mesmerized by what we were seeing. Right before the end of our class period, we witnessed the first tower falling, right before our eyes on the TV screen.

I had gym class next, and by then the news had spread all over the school. Everything just sort of stopped; our gym teachers were in the gym, and we had no direction, so we all just went into the gym and sat and waited and talked. Our principal then came on the intercom and made an announcement saying that "we were under attack." She explained what had happened, and that all of the school's offices' phones were open to any student or teacher who needed to contact someone to make sure they were okay.

We stopped all of our lessons in classes that day; I remember in history we talked about the history of terror in the US; in English we talked about the possibilbity of a military draft. It's bizzare to say, but in school, I almost felt like it hadn't happened--like it had happened somewhere way outside the safety of our school. But when I got of school, one of the strangest things I remember was that there was no music on the radio--every station had news reports and talk shows about the attacks. It seems silly to say, but that was when it began to hit me that this was something that was not going to go away for a long time.

I didn't know anyone who was personally affected by the attacks, just people through connections to other friends and family members. But I'll still never forget every detail of that day.

8. I wasn't terribly old (Only a few days away from 10), but I do remember immediately feeling that...it was a terrifying feeling
  9. I'm pretty sure I was 9 years old (first day of 4th grade) and I turned on the TV and was the first to see it in my household and was really confused by what I was watching My parents freaked the fuck out but i didn't really understand til a few days later by just how everyone kept talking about it. And yes then it hit me that it's not going to go away anytime soon. D: </3 RIP
  10. I was 10 years old and sat in sixth grade of elementary school. I actually don’t remember how and when the teachers told us the news, but I do know the whole school came together on the playground. We held one minute silence in honour of the victims. I didn’t clearly understand the whole thing, until I saw the images on television later that day. From the reaction of my mum and dad I knew something terrible had happened.
  11. I was in school, 6th grade. I didn't actually hear about it until about 1 PM (and we're in the same time zone as NYC)...we were taking standardized tests that morning, and they didn't want to disturb that. I remember my teacher telling us about something, but I wasn't really able to wrap my head around it until I actually saw what happened. My mom got off of work early that day, and I remember just going home and watching the news all that night...I didn't really care about doing my homework at that point. Just...yeah. Crazy. Regardless of whatever your opinions on Bush are, he was a strong leader during those weeks, and I still respect him a lot for that.