1. That should depend on the listener, right? It does for me for sure . . . . .

2. OMG!
    amazing!

Iris is probably my favorite live version from SoI.
    I couldn't believe when I read Bono almost took it off the album.

"Something like 'Iris' (a song about his mother, who died when Bono was 14), I did myself regret it at the last minute. A few days before the album launched I tried to take the song off the record. We're doing this homage to all these punk bands we loved, and here's this song about missing my mother. How punk rock is that? I panicked, 'Let's take it off.' She died when I was 14, it was September 40 years ago. But I couldn't remember what day. I texted my brother, he couldn't remember. Texted my uncle Jack, and he made me realize that the day I was trying to pull it off the album was the same day 40 years ago that she slipped away while standing by her father's graveside. She had an aneurysm and I never saw her again or was able to speak with her again. That sort of cosmic coincidence gave me encouragement to trust my instincts. You have to be bold enough to be emotionally direct. That's what I learned from John Lennon"

Chicago Tribune
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:Just came to here to say that I HATE when Bono sings "Something in your eyes took a thousand years to getting/get in here" live instead of "to get here" as on the album.
    I believe he's saying "Took a thousand years to get to here" which is still worse, I agree.
  4. Haha I didn't even notice, no big deal.

This is a perfect example of how subtle changes (the emotion and concert atmosphere aside) to the music make a world of difference. The notes Edge has added to the beginning, the different vocal melodies Bono has decided on that while may be due to him not being able to consistently belt, have ultimately made the song even more human and vulnerable. I really love the live performances of this song, especially when Mofo has been snippeted in the intro. Would love to see a live single release.
  5. From the moment I heard this song, the line "Iris playing on the strand / She buries the boy beneath the sand" sounded really familiar. Well, I've finally found the other lyric and it's from Never Let Me Go - "From Red lsland across the strand / Your footprints still there in the sand". I would've got there a little quicker if "Hold me close and don't let me go" had clicked with "Never let me go"...
  6. Originally posted by iTim:From the moment I heard this song, the line "Iris playing on the strand / She buries the boy beneath the sand" sounded really familiar. Well, I've finally found the other lyric and it's from Never Let Me Go - "From Red lsland across the strand / Your footprints still there in the sand". I would've got there a little quicker if "Hold me close and don't let me go" had clicked with "Never let me go"...
    Wow Another lyric borrow! Well spotted Tim
  7. Its like "There Is No Them, Only Us" from Invisible is borrowed from Rise Above...
  8. "Iris" is just a beautiful, heartfelt song. It must be one of the most emotional songs in the U2 catalog. It's easily my favorite song on "Songs Of Innocence." There's something about the intro and the chorus that remind me of "Ultraviolet." It's one of the first things I thought of when I first heard "Iris." Similar to "Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own," "Iris," leaves me feeling drained after listening to it. I don't mind that though. If you don't like feeling emotionally drained from listening to music, then U2 may not be the band for you
  9. I never liked this song the 100's of times I played the album ...its weird recently I started to really love this song..its funny how some songs take a while to grow on you.
  10. Sorry for changing the tone but does anyone else think of a loved one they’ve lost when they hear this one? My papa ( grandpa) is on my mind when I hear this,
    he shaped my life, made me the person I am and the person I want to be.
  11. Originally posted by deanallison:Sorry for changing the tone but does anyone else think of a loved one they’ve lost when they hear this one? My papa ( grandpa) is on my mind when I hear this,
    I think that's the goal, this is song that's supposed to conjure up those people we've lost. I hope it gives you good memories of him.

I've been fortunate enough not have lost anyone close to me since I was a young kid, but for me this song really does remind me to appreciate the people I do have in my life, because... they may not be there forever. A big reason this is one of my all-time top U2 tracks, you can really feel the love and loss in a really unguarded way here. It really gets to you...
  12. Originally posted by deanallison:Sorry for changing the tone but does anyone else think of a loved one they’ve lost when they hear this one? My papa ( grandpa) is on my mind when I hear this,
    Iris, like Kite and Sometimes You Can’t Make it on Your own, have always had this affect on me. They have always been so touching to me and before it was about the thought of losing a parent...for me. Unfortunately the thought became reality when I lost my mom last month after a battle with cancer. Iris has become a very personal song now for me. Iris has helped me through some difficult times and hope to here it onthe upcoming tour.